This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What is your preferred anti-zombie armament? Oh, and guns too.

Comments

• Well if I can have anything all I'd need would be a light sabre for close range, the super gravity gun for medium range and a quad barrelled reciprocating elephant gun (fires shotgun shells rapidly) for tight spots.
    If it has to be things I can get my hands on (remember this is England so no guns) then a good sharp long handled shovel (don't much like axes), blowtorch/fuse and petrol (kept full by syphoning from cars, only empty fuel tanks explode) strapped across my back plus various tools for things such as stealing cars, handling electric cable etc..
    And a HAM radio with instruction book.
  • If it has to be things I can get my hands on (remember this is England so no guns) then a good sharp long handled shovel (don't much like axes), blowtorch/fuse and petrol (kept full by syphoning from cars, only empty fuel tanks explode) strapped across my back plus various tools for things such as stealing cars, handling electric cable etc..
    And a HAM radio with instruction book.
    Then go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.
  • Then go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.
    The Brown Cow actually.
  • Nothing beats the good old pump action shotgun and a backpack full of ammunition, but what the hell, if you are sure that you are the last surviving human on the planet or have absolutely no way out of the mess anymore, grab the nearest chainsaw and spend your last few minutes on earth in a gory massacre.
  • Well, I'd be fairly limited due to not knowing anyone with guns.. So.. *looks around house* Crowbar, chainsaw (far too heavy for me to carry) ... let's see.

Probably food/water, several lighters/matches and aerosol containers, crowbar (I can lift it!), flashlight and batteries, safety pins.. I'd probably be wearing jeans and the thickest hoodie I could find. Plus, my kickass sneaker-boots. =3
    I'd be severely limited due to my strength and resources... so, my main thing would be running like a bitch and dirty tricks.
  • I would have to agree with Chaos on this one, I would have a Chainsaw, 2 revolvers for dual wielding, SPAS 12, Flashlight and batteries, food, matches and oil. I would also need a lot of concrete to make a fort to hold of the never-ending onslaught of zombies.
  • I would grab whatever blunt striking weapon(s) I could find around my house, put on the thickest clothes I have, round up any survivors in the neighborhood and any surviving friends and head to the grocery store I work at, raid it for non perishables and head up to the second story break room.
    edited January 2008
    I don't know anyone with a gun either kage, so don't worry. Anyways, what would I get.

BASIS:
    A backpack.
    Water bottle(s) and water.
    Food, probably canned.
    Basic survival kit, knife, spork, medical supplies, you know, the necessities.
    Sleeping bag.
    Towel.
    And I'd probably wear my 5 Threadless shirts under a fleece sweater and a jacket/coat.

EXTRAS FOR LONGER SURVIVAL:
    A crowbar.
    Good flashlight, like a mag light.
    Battery charger for flashlight batteries.
    Strapping a, small, solar panel to the back of the backpack.
    Radio, a very good one.
    Perhaps a small, light laptop. (plus charger and perhaps a headset)
    Survival, zombie apocalypse, medical, radio and communication books. (or e-book versions of those if I grab a laptop)

I'd basically try to stay away from the zombies and find other humans.

Or I'll just join the hordes. Probably a lot easier.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited January 2008
    Utility:
    An entrenching tool
    Lighter, fuel, flint
    Swiss Army Knife
    Leatherman
    Hunting knife
    Sleeping bag
    Water purification tablets
    First-aid kit
    Maglite
    Book with detailed information on edible/poisonous plants
    A wrecking bar
    Folding pan and a pot

To wear:
    Steel-toed boots
    Thick leather gloves
    Under Armour
    Leather jacket

Weapons:
    OTS-33 Pernach (For anti-human more than anti-zombie)
    A rifle (must have common and available ammo, magazine load, scope, enough power to stop a zombie, bayonet)
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • edited January 2008
    Hrm, Deagles... Makes me think of:

Girl with Deagle
    Post edited by RedShirt on
  • well if i knew that zombies were out there and I had to survive I would basically take food and water, something to create a lot of fire, a roll of duck-tape, some good assault rifle, a katana, a knife, and anything else I see that I think could be useful and not too cumbersome. And of course a bite proof body-suit (would kevlar work?).

I know that's pretty vague, but I don't really think 'What would I have on me if the zombies were to break out?' I think more of 'What if the survivors I cared about were upstairs and I had to slow down the zombies long enough for them to burn the stairs so that they'll be safe from the mutant-human-eater-things out there ? What would I want on me?'
    What I've come to is:

First line of defense is of course guns and grenades, they go the farthest and depending, take up the lease amount of energy. I'm thinking 2 assault rifles or something that shoots a lot of bullets and have decent clips (I really don't know much about guns). And of course a handgun in the belt cause you never know.

Second line is big swords. I'm thinking with a blade like the length of a broom handle. Preferable made out of super light material and with heavier handles so that they're well balanced. Depending on the intelligence of the zombies, and how easy it is for them to trip and start crawling, and of course size, you might be able to just swing the swords in circles at head height for a while before having to resort to the last line of defense.

Third and last that I've been able to think of (bomb doesn't work cause there are people I care about upstairs): a katana and wakizashi. Although it might take a minute to recover from the dizziness of spinning around with the dual big swords, and the probable exhaustion from the fight as a whole, if you can see enough while spinning you should see just when they start to get, or are going to get past your spinning swords and drop them to give yourself a moment to compose yourself, and if your gonna die you wanna kill as many of them as you can. The katana keeps them at more than arm's distance away, but if they do get closer you have a wakizashi. And something that people seem to forget, hand to hand can and does work on zombies, all you have to look out for is their teeth (I'm talking generic zombie here, slow stupid, infects you through bite, might be super strong but usually only uses strength to grab you...) so if one is close just uppercut it on the jaw, if it's really decrepit it'll have it's lower jaw stuck in it's upper and now you can just shove him to the side.

With all this do I expect to win if my little getaway in the middle of the woods is found by zombies? Of course not. But I expect to have taken out at least 30, especially with the dual guns and all.

GOD DAMNIT, I'm not nearly strong enough to do all this, I better start doing my push-ups, and saving my money for some large swords, and devising a way to carry them...
    Oh alright so it's not totally thought out, but that's why it's a work in process.
  • Nuclear powered laser tank
  • edited January 2008
    If it has to be things I can get my hands on (remember this is England so no guns) . . .
    HA HA! You don't have any guns!
    Two Anti-personal claymores in my backpack.
    "Front Toward Enemy" has always made me laugh.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I remember the movie "Shawn of the Dead" and how they were arguing whether the gun over the bar was real. :P
  • I can get my hands on a HAM radio pretty easily if it's not summer, because my english teacher has one.
  • HA HA! You don't have any guns!
    So you think gun crime should be encouraged?
  • So you think gun crime should be encouraged?
    How many murderous rampages have there been at gun ranges?
  • So you think gun crime should be encouraged?
    So all gun crime is gun ranges.. interesting.
  • edited January 2008
    So you think gun crime should be encouraged?
    So all gun crime is gun ranges.. interesting.
    The vast majority of gun owners do not commit gun crime. Allowing guns to be sold may make it slightly easier for criminals to get their hands on guns, but most criminals buy through the black market (because they do not want to get caught after the crime).
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • edited January 2008
    I don't think you quite understand me. People don't try to kill people at gun ranges because everyone else has a gun and will stop them instantly they try anything. Your premise that the proliferation of guns among a population is proportional to the amount of gun crime is faulty. The banning of guns is not the solution to the gun crime issue, and the idea that banning guns will help is counter-productive. Just take a look at this BBC article from 2001 or any of these other Guardian articles.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2008
    The vast majority of gun owners do not commit gun crime.
    But all gun crime is committed by people with guns. Also I honestly doubt that as I doubt most criminals have the ties to buy things through the black market, the internet notwithstanding.
    Ok, I know that banning guns would be impossible in America but don't make fun of the UK because we were successful (and still are) in banning guns and stopping most criminals getting their hands on them.
    WIP: That article is 7 years old, in more recent reports gun crime has hit record lows. I know the UK will never be free from gun crime but with the recent school shootings in America I doubt we will be making any moves towards legalizing guns for anyone but farmers.
    In short, gun legalization = significant increase in gun crime = better chance in zombie crisis (unless humans turn on each other, which I wouldn't put past them.)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • But all gun crime is committed by people with guns.
    And all car crashes are caused by people with cars. What are you going to do, ban motor vehicles? Also, your assumption that gun legalization will lead to a significant increase in gun crime is not necessarily true.
  • That article is 7 years old, in more recent reports gun crime has hit record lows. I know the UK will never be free from gun crime but with the recent school shootings in America I doubt we will be making any moves towards legalizing guns for anyone but farmers.
    What reports are these? Care to share? These school shootings took place in "Gun-Free Zones", what went wrong?
  • edited January 2008
    Cars are useful in an everyday environment. Stop nit picking the just the bits that you can create unrealistic analogies about.
    Also, your assumption that gun legalization will lead to a significant increase in gun crime is not necessarily true.
    In America (If anyone watches abriged Yugioh they will understand why I lol every time I say that.) I doubt banning guns would reduce crime much but it makes sense that the gun crime per capita goes up when guns are available to the general public. In America there are probably ways you could better reduce gun crime than a ban on guns but it still stands that we in the UK have lower instances of gun crime which is directly related to the fact that guns are banned and that law is enforced.

..IN AMERICA!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I doubt banning guns would reduce crime much but it makes sense that the gun crime per capita goes up when guns are available to the general public.
    What "makes sense" is not always the case.
    Nevertheless, the burden of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially since they argue public policy ought to be based on that mantra. To bear that burden would at the very least require showing that a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that have imposed stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions
    in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared across the world.
    Or try this CDC study that analyzed the effectiveness of several gun control laws. It found insufficient evidence for any correlation between lowering crime rates and gun control.
    In short, gun legalization = significant increase in gun crime = better chance in zombie crisis
    If this were true, how come there was a significant increase in gun crime after the gun ban in Britain? This more recent BBC article shows that while there was a small drop recently, the gun crime rates are still in the stratosphere since the laws were enacted. Or the fact that US has been showing crime drops in almost all categories.
  • Cars are useful in an everyday environment. Stop nit picking the just the bits that you can create unrealistic analogies about.
    What you said is a tautology. It means nothing. Of course all gun crime is caused by people with guns. That's the definition of gun crime.
  • "In conclusion, the application of imperfect methods to imperfect data has commonly resulted in inconsistent and otherwise insufficient evidence with which to determine the effectiveness of firearms laws in modifying violent outcomes."
    Doesn't prove thing either way, you might be right but I still doubt it.

Like I said, there is always going to be gun crime but I suspect those numbers would be much higher if guns were freely available. You are comparing England without guns to England without guns and America with guns to America with guns and the change over time. It still stands that gun crime would be higher in england if guns were legalized. Also, 1% drops could be down to good policing.
    That FBI data is absolutely useless in this argument as nowhere on it does it mention guns. Gun crime could be up and compensated in some other area.
  • edited January 2008
    Gun crime is unfortunate, but what about all the useful things you miss without guns? Of course you can shoot zombies, but you can also shoot furry woodland creatures, or even hippies if they try to break into your house.

And - if you don't have guns, what are you gonna do if the King of England comes to bully you around?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on