This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Favorite Disney Movie

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Peru is nothing like Emperor's New Groove portrays it. We do not eat insects dammit! and it is very hard to see a squirrel.
    I liked the Sting music thou, and there were some funny parts, but the Amazon is not like that.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I didn't think Emperor's New Groove was funny.
    That's because you have no soul.
    You're not a human being.

You also dislike Star Trek, Firefly, and puppies.
  • The Mulan training montage was probably the best montage and the best montage song basically ever. It's one of the few Disney songs that I would not feel embarrassed singing. Ever.
  • 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Nemo's hatred and disdain for the surface world, and his fearless use of atomic energy were an inspiration to me as a kid.

That, and he played a mean pipe organ.
  • The Beast's design is/was(?) just...so great. I'm so glad they ended up with that design rather than going in the direction of some of the earlier concepts. >_>

I like most of the older Disney films. Aladdin was my favouritest thing ever for a while when I was a kid. ;D The newer ones have been okay... I liked Atlantis and Lilo and Stitch enough. Treasure Planet was nice to look at too. I don't really remember them all that well, though, so I guess they didn't have any real impact... Brother Bear was perhaps the worst thing ever. D: Aaaargh, so bad.

What do you guys think of the new Fantasia? (Fantasia 2000, I think?). I thought it was kind of short. :( I really liked what was there though.
  • What do you guys think of the new Fantasia? (Fantasia 2000, I think?). I thought it was kind of short. :( I really liked what was there though.
    I saw that in IMAX. It was pretty freaking awesome as my first IMAX movie. My favorite sequence was the part with the flamingos =D
  • edited April 2007
    What do you guys think of the new Fantasia? (Fantasia 2000, I think?). I thought it was kind of short. :( I really liked what was there though.
    I saw that in IMAX. It was pretty freaking awesome as my first IMAX movie. My favorite sequence was the part with the flamingos =D
    Wtf? Sorcerer's Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain ftw, duh.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2007
    Scott's right. TENG was not funny, because it was among the first of the breed of new Disney throw-away "classics" that tried to cash in on the good reputations of the late 80s-early 90s Disney films. TENG was just trying way too hard to be a joke machine instead of a good story, and it was all obvious punch-line set-ups. *GAG*

Now, Aladdin -- there was a Disney movie that didn't have to try. They just gave Robin Williams some sugar and set him loose. Many don't like him, but you can't deny that with RW you're not going to get typical, tired, old, lame jokes. You're going to get frenetic, pop-culture chaos. I loved that movie.

And I know it's not a movie, but nobody's mentioned Tale Spin. That was Disney quasi-steampunk coolness.
    Post edited by Jason on
    You're not a human being.

You also dislike Star Trek, Firefly, and puppies.
    Scott dislikes puppies!? SHAME! SHAME!!

BEGONE YE FOUL HEARTLESS CREATURE!
  • Who are these people who are talking about Lilo and Stitch! That only came out 5 minutes ago! Stop making me feel old.
  • What do you guys think of the new Fantasia? (Fantasia 2000, I think?). I thought it was kind of short. :( I really liked what was there though.
    Scott, I'm talking about Fantasia 2000, not the original. But I totally agree with you on the original.
    Scott, I'm talking about Fantasia 2000, not the original. But I totally agree with you on the original.
    There's another Fantasia?
  • There's another Fantasia?
    Yup. Fantasia 2000. It was actually pretty good. I saw it in IMAX just like Sail; it was pretty awesome.
  • There's another Fantasia?
    Yup.Fantasia 2000. It was actually pretty good. I saw it in IMAX just like Sail; it was pretty awesome.
    Yup, yup, the IMAX screen was in a giant building shaped like the sorcerer's hat ^_^
  • Probably The Sword in the Stone, though Aladdin and Mulan are also up there.

Also, Sleeping Beauty. Mostly for the huge frickin' dragon, and the days when Disney didn't make cutesy villains.
    You know, nobody gives the non-Disney Iron Giant enough credit
    Iron Giant was and is all manner of awesome. "Superman..." ;_;
  • Also, Sleeping Beauty. Mostly for the huge frickin' dragon, and the days when Disney didn't make cutesy villains.
    Malificent, as both a human and a dragon, was one scary bitch. I think she, the Horned King (Black Cauldron), and Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame) take the cake for most creeptastic Disney villains.
  • My two favorites would have to be Aladdin and Kimba the White Lion, *cough* I mean, The Lion King.
  • Malificent, as both a human and a dragon, was one scary bitch.
    Hell yes. The bit where she's basically subjecting the prince to mental torture/abuse? Poor guy. D: Also the dragon was freakin' scary. She and Frollo scare me more the older I get, it seems. Ursula and Scar were also fantastic for their personalities and voices. I'm pretty fond of Jafar too. Sleek. :B
    TENG was just trying way too hard to be a joke machine instead of a good story, and it was all obvious punch-line set-ups. *GAG*
    That's the beauty of it. I don't group it with other disney movies. It is just a big chain of dumb jokes and pretty 2D animations at which to marvel and I lessthanthree it.
    Yup.Fantasia 2000. It was actually pretty good. I saw it in IMAX just like Sail; it was pretty awesome.
    It's worth checking out. The flamingos were classic but...more power to the jazz!
  • edited April 2007
    It's worth checking out. The flamingos were classic but...more power to the jazz!
    Haha, those flamingos were pretty rockin'! I loved the Rhapsody in Blue segment.
    My favorite Disney films have to be Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, and The Little Mermaid.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I would totally say that Lion King was my all time favorite Disney movie.
    Alladin is at a close second, though.
  • My definite favourite is Fantasia, but both Aladdin and the Hunchback of Notre Dame have a very high place on the list.
  • I can not believe Tron hasn't come up yet ;-).

Anyway, Atlantis FTW.
  • The Sword in the Stone or Aladdin, not really sure which
  • Man, I wish I'd seen Aladdin in English, the Dutch version wasn't amazing. Anyways, in no particular order, some of my favourite Disney movies are: Aristocats, if only for the motor cycle, jazz cats and the drunk goose; Mulan, copy Sail's reasons, and cricket typewriter; Balto, grumpy drunk Russian snow GOOSE(!?!?!!); Fantasia, haven't seen the 2000 version; and then of course there's Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Oliver and Company, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and then I'm probably forgetting a few.
    The Black Cauldron
    FFFFFFFFF, I still haven't seen that movie, the little of it that I saw in my Donald Duck comics was neat. In the same vein, The Three Caballeros, haven't seen the movie, but I have read my Donald Duck comics. ;)
    And I know it's not a movie, but nobody's mentioned Tale Spin.
    Yeah, sure, it's not a Disney movie, but nobody's mentioned The Godfather.
  • Fantasia. Hands down.
  • edited February 2009
    I thought I'd write my thoughts on some Disney movies...
    Mulan
    You know, I have a problem with Mulan. That movie had some incredibly touching scenes in it, but often they were ruined by a quick transition to Mushu being silly. Nothing against that sort of manic comedy, but it felt really out of place to me in that movie. There didn't need to be anything supernatural, and the comedy could have been easily executed by merely milking the silly personalities of the other soldiers. I mean, there are scenes in that movie that are very emotionally wrenching (the battlefield scene with the general's helmet and the doll comes to mind) but the movie can't keep it's tone consistent.
    Balto
    Ah, the eternal dog-head-girl favorite. Not Disney, but I watched this movie half in slow motion to study canine facial animation.
    Atlantis
    I was really looking forward to that movie when it came out. The trailer had me really pumped up because it looked so mysterious and cool. I liked the design elements, but the story felt thin, and some of the stuff was just silly (coal submarine? what?) I felt similarly about Treasure Planet - interesting conceptual art, not that great of a movie.
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Completely murdered classic literature, but had a really cool villain. "Hellfire" was a great song, with a surprisingly dark tone for Disney.

You know, I really like Disney when it comes right down to it. I have seen Beauty and the Beast many many times.
    P.S. Has anyone seen the Little Match Girl short? They did it straight up, faithfully. (I'm not crying, it's just the...the bright colors...*sniff*)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • My newish favorite is Alice in Wonderland. That movie is superb.
  • I used to really like Hercules as a kid.
  • You know, I have a problem with Mulan. That movie had some incredibly touching scenes in it, but often they were ruined by a quick transition to Mushu being silly. Nothing against that sort of manic comedy, but it felt really out of place to me in that movie. There didn't need to be anything supernatural, and the comedy could have been easily executed by merely milking the silly personalities of the other soldiers. I mean, there are scenes in that movie that are very emotionally wrenching (the battlefield scene with the general's helmet and the doll comes to mind) but the movie can't keep it's tone consistent.
    Though this never occured to me, I agree.
    Not Disney
    Doh, truth, apologies.
    canine facial animation
    Oh yes, said animation is awesome.
    P.S. Has anyone seen the Little Match Girl short? They did it straight up, faithfully. (I'm not crying, it's just the...the bright colors...*sniff*)
    I think you linked that in the Thing of the Day thread, did you not? It was a very nice animated short.

Man, ever since the mention of The Dark Cauldron my mind has been jumping back through the stories I read in my Donald Ducks. Which in turn made me think about Douwe Dabbert, I wish a movie got made of this; and that got me thinking about Olivier B. Bommel (Oliver B. Bumble), of which more movies need be made. If you know what I mean.