This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Favorite Disney Movie

124»

Comments

• Is there any love for Pete's Dragon? I recognize it's a sub-par movie by now, but it's a childhood favorite of mine. It's funny, I revisited that movie a few weeks ago. It was sorta still funny in my head, but the plot really had a lot of holes in it. The worst part is that it had a lot of actors that I know because I pay more attention to actors and movies now, and I cringe at what they were made to do. My head just popped when I realized the homeopathic doctor was Jim Dale, and I forgot that he could do anything other than narration of audiotapes and Pushing Daisies. And...Shelley Winters...why would you sell yourself out like that? You were such a big star and then you just let yourself go...
  • Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan scared the fuck out of me as a kid.
    Alice in Wonderland I can understand, but Peter Pan? Fantasia scared the fuck out of me. Interestingly, I had this conversation with some friends a while back; turns out we're all scarred by that hellish film - I really should rewatch it sometime to see what all the pain was about.
    I'm going to have to vote for Robin Hood, with The Lion King in a close second.
  • That's the thing, I don't rightly remember why I was scared, just that I was. It would warrant a revisit were there not a metric shitton of movies that I need to see first.
  • Rym said:

Video

Lawl.

TRON is my favorite, hands down.

I'm more a fan of the Lion King and it's era of Disney. Full full respect to the old stuff, I just never got into them.
  • Fantasia was by far my favorite, I always thought the rest were kind of corny.
  • I never considered having a favorite Disney movie. I saw all the big ones that came out when we were kids, and I've seen and enjoyed all of the Pixar stuff, but I've never considered myself a straight up fan of Disney. That being said, there is something about watching Brave with a two year old girl that makes that movie special.

Yes, she does want a bow and arrow now. And sometimes mommy is a bear.
  • The Princess and The Frog is probably my favorite. I consider it odd, because I don't think that film generally sticks out as one of the best Disney movies to most people. But I love absolutely everything about it from the New Orleans atmosphere, to the songs, and the incredibly well done characterization of nearly everyone.
  • Princess and the Frog is definitely my favorite Disney Princess movie (I haven't seen Frozen yet, so I can't judge it compared to that). Overall, I think it's between that and Lilo and Stitch -- assuming we're only talking about feature lengths. If we include shorts, I'll have to think about that considerably longer.
  • Watch out, Matt. All girls at some point in their young lives desperately desire to do archery. Such wishes for deadly weaponry must be carefully managed by parents. (I got my fix on at summer camp, so that was fine.)
  • I will gladly entertain her archery phase. Right now she's on a serious pirate kick due to a Disney spinoff show of Peter Pan. They made a toddler cartoon called "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" that she is obsessed with. My in-laws had her down to Florida over the weekend (they live there) to take her to Disney, and she was reportedly most excited about meeting Captain Hook. Way to root for the villain, little girl.
  • Matt said:

I will gladly entertain her archery phase. Right now she's on a serious pirate kick due to a Disney spinoff show of Peter Pan. They made a toddler cartoon called "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" that she is obsessed with. My in-laws had her down to Florida over the weekend (they live there) to take her to Disney, and she was reportedly most excited about meeting Captain Hook. Way to root for the villain, little girl.

Geek parenting done right.
  • So I finally got around to watch Frozen, and the film was very good. It kind of relies on the bait-and-switch, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It was a very good film.
  • When our little one first discovered Jake, she was still pretty young and still displaying lots of "autistic" traits like being nearly non-verbal, not making eye contact, not communicating needs... anyway this is relevant only because she suddenly started requesting props. She wanted an eye patch, and a ship, and a sword, and a hat, and a map, and my oldest and I feverishly set to work with cardboard and masking tape and furnished each item as it was requested. She set sail across the living room in her cardboard ship with her cardboard sword and her pirate bandanna on her head and novelty shop eye patch, routinely checking her Sharpie-on-8"x11" office paper map for clues to where the treasure was.

It was one of her major breakthroughs. Today she's just about asymptomatic, if that's the right term. Talks up a storm.
  • Apreche said:

Dumbo is #1. Aladdin is #2.

Hasn't changed.
  • Can Star Wars now be my favorite Disney movie? :-p
  • Cremlian said:

Can Star Wars now be my favorite Disney movie? :-p

Technically, yes.
  • Disney related: Marines singing/watching Frozen's "Let It Go".

Now, I kinda want to watch Shawshank again.