This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

No DRM on EMI songs on ITunes?

edited April 2007 in Technology
According to this BBC article it sure sounds like it. I really like this idea, although I have no clue what companies EMI owns.

Comments

• It is no good because even though the files will not have DRM, they will be in useless AAC format. Supposedly some other online stores will sell EMI music in MP3 or WMA formats sans-DRM, but that isn't happening quite yet. Also, those stores aren't integrated into iTunes, so it will be a pain in the ass to get my music on the iPod if I do buy non-DRM mp3s from other stores. If I'm going to start buying non-DRM EMI music, they either have to sell in mp3 format on iTunes, or wait until my iPod dies and I get a new player.

Also, I've subsisted on Creative Commons and other open/free music for so long now, that I really have no desire for EMI's music. Sure, I'd be willing to purchase an mp3 without DRM, but I can't think of even one song I want.
  • edited April 2007
    Also, those stores aren't integrated into iTunes, so it will be a pain in the ass to get my music on the iPod if I do buy non-DRM mp3s from other stores. If I'm going to start buying non-DRM EMI music, they either have to sell in mp3 format on iTunes, or wait until my iPod dies and I get a new player.
    How would that be a problem Scott? If you buy the non-DRMed mp3s you can just drag and drop into iTunes, the same way you get the mp3s you download from bittorrent or other source onto your iPod. You don't have to buy the mp3 from iTunes just so you can put it in your iPod . That wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Also, those stores aren't integrated into iTunes, so it will be a pain in the ass to get my music on the iPod if I do buy non-DRM mp3s from other stores. If I'm going to start buying non-DRM EMI music, they either have to sell in mp3 format on iTunes, or wait until my iPod dies and I get a new player.
    How would that be a problem Scott? If you buy the non-DRMed mp3s you can just drag and drop into iTunes, the same way you get the mp3s you download from bittorrent or other source onto your iPod. You don't have to buy the mp3 from iTunes just so you can put it in your iPod . That wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
    The Mac is the only computer with iTunes. Every other computer is Linux. It's annoying enough as it is to go to the Mac and sync my iPod. It's even more effort to transfer stuff from my PC to the Mac and then the iPod. At least, it's difficult without a NAS.
  • Don't forget it's at 130% of the normal price.
  • Also, those stores aren't integrated into iTunes, so it will be a pain in the ass to get my music on the iPod if I do buy non-DRM mp3s from other stores. If I'm going to start buying non-DRM EMI music, they either have to sell in mp3 format on iTunes, or wait until my iPod dies and I get a new player.
    Looks like your problem has been solved.