This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Convince me.

edited April 2007 in Technology
I have been thinking about switching to Linux for a little while now.

I'm currently running Windows Vista, and I'm getting tired of Windows and Microsoft in general.

So, I want you guys to tell me why I should get Linux or why I should stick with Windows.

Comments

• You can try Linux risk-free without actually installing it. Just get an Ubuntu CD and boot off of it. You'll be able to tool around and get used to Linux without touching your hard drive at all. If using Linux doesn't convince you that you don't need Windows, nothing will.
  • edited April 2007
    If you're into PC gaming, you'll have to stick with Windows. If you think your copy of Vista was too expensive to just toss out, try to get your money's worth before switching to Linux.

Otherwise, Linux is better in every conceivable way. Like Scott said, try the Ubuntu Live CD and see for yourself. Just don't go in expecting the OS to be anything like Windows, or else you're going to be disappointed and end up hating it. Try to keep as open a mind as possible.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You know, this has been bothering me for a long time. I realize that you're all talking about Linux, but I'm going to hate on the other fanboy's favorite operating system for a while.

There are always haters out there waiting to dump on Vista's instability, lack of support, and DRM. But I run OSX at work, and honestly, it hangs more than a motherfucker. Mac is by definition proprietary and DRM-encumbered, and there is virtually no licensed software. My critical software, even grade-A stuff like Photoshop (and especially Quark, for the love of god), is continually shutting down over trivial errors. I run XP at home and it is far more stable and useful than OSX.