This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Graphics tablet

edited April 2007 in Technology
Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a graphics tablet. After searching for awhile I found the Wacom Volito 2, since I've heard that they are the best and most reliable I chose it. So I wanted to order one but found out something really stupid, the dam tablet only works on windows PCs! But I am a mac owner.

My question is if any of you could tell me if there are any good tablets out there. Since I am still in school I can't spend that much money (max. 70€). The main reason I want a tablet is to do sketches and artwork. Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I know a lot of people with Wacom tablets, and they all use them with Macs. I don't think it should be a problem. Heck, the things even work with Ubuntu, supposedly. I haven't tried it yet, but I keep seeing message in Ubuntu checking for wacom devices.
  • But on their website it says in RED colour "For PC only !!"
  • Most wacom tablets work on Macs. There must be something weird about that model if it doesn't.
    You could try looking on eBay or someplace for a used one. You can usually get them cheaper and they're pretty durable so I wouldn't be afraid of getting a used one. I have a graphire from like eight years ago that still works fine despite being stepped on, rolled over with a chair, dropped down a third-story stairwell, and had soup spilled on it on multiple occasions.
  • You can usually get the smaller Graphire tablets for a fairly reasonable price. I have a 4x5 Graphire 3 that I picked up a couple of years ago for about $100. I can guarantee, however, that they work with both Mac and PC (I never got mine to work with Ubuntu, but then, I didn't really try very hard). I didn't see any OSX drivers for the Volito tablets.
  • Wacom tablets are damn hardy. The pens alone are a different story, but at least they're easily fixed/replaced.

Graphire's are pretty good. I, too, have a Graphire3 and am very happy with it. It's lasted several years and is still going strong. :D If you've never had a tablet before a small Graphire is a good place to start - inexpensive and will probably do everything you want. Try to get a completely wireless one. Additionally, Graphires have been around long enough to have a nice wide userbase who can help you with any trouble you may encounter. :B