This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nappy Headed Hos

edited April 2007 in Flamewars
Why is the media so upset at Don Imus? What is really the big deal about this? So what he said something, it's not the fucking shit storm that people make it out to be. People are so fucking stupid. This really just boils down to people getting their feelings hurt and whining about it. I think it is ridiculous that people want him fired, if you don't like it, turn it off. There is nothing that I can't stand more than people trying to eliminate other peoples rights to say what they want.

Link to comments made by Imus

Comments

• Imus is and ass. Even so, I'm all for letting anyone say anything anywhere, even asses. I think we should use this big news story to point out how podcasting is awesome and terrestrial radio is craptacular.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2007
    I hadn't even heard of this until the news was losing its shit over it while I was eating lunch (and playing Phoenix Wright). I'd never even heard of the guy himself.

Genocide in Darfur? Nuclear Iran? Belligerent North Korea? The failing occupation of Iraq? The US military funding showdown? Afghanistan's slow collapse?

Nah. Some guy saying something! That's worth outrage by gummit.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The children! Think of the children!
  • The children! Think of the nappy-headed ho's children!
  • I think that people made a big deal out of this, when they should have obvious been making a bigger deal out of something else, is that people focus on the things that they think they can actually affect. People don't feel like they can affect those other things, so they focus on little stupid things so that they feel that they have accomplished something with their complaining time.
  • edited April 2007
    What's big and what's not is relative. "Big" things and "little" things are connected believe it or not.

I'd heard about this story a couple days ago I think.

Doesn't programming for most anything usually depend on the listeners or viewers? Not enough listeners or viewers and it gets canceled no? Or the people who fund the station are pissed so again canceled programming. Or there is an uproar from the people and boom, canceled. There was a show on NBC called The Book of Daniel which was canceled so swiftly your head spun, because of the religious conservatives. The show had looked rather promising too. In any case, I'm sure it wasn't the people Imus joked around with at work that wanted to get rid of him (racist birds of a feather flock together) but rather this was a reluctant decision made based on their audience and possibly anyone who was giving them funds.

And finally, I'm glad he was fired. Woot! But hey, I'm sure there will be another racist or fascist or whatever tickles your fancy for the disappointed to root for tomorrow.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • I just want to know what Al Sharpton has to do with this? What the fuck is his purpose in all this? Why does that loud mouth suddenly speak for all black people whenever someone non-black says anything remotely offensive? Where is his outrage at rappers who call women hos on nearly every song they put out? Where is his outrage at the constant misogyny in hip-hop? Nowhere. What would Martin King say if he were alive today?
  • I find it ironic that Jesse Jackson was on the Today show raking Imus over the coals.

In the 1980's Jackson called New York City "Kike town." When confronted with this, he would not even apologize. He gave some nonsensical response.

Imus if a comedian.
    Jesse Jackson is not.

Oh, the hypocrisy.
  • Oh, I forgot to mention. The latest stupid rap song here in Atlanta is "Do the Heisman on that Ho." I have no idea what it means, but apparently it is acceptable because Don Imus did not say it.
  • What the fuck does 'nappy headed' mean?
  • I've usually heard it in reference to the kind of hair many African-Americans tend to have, typically used in a pejorative sense.
  • "People of color" as I've heard them refer to themselves during the Imus ordeal (holy crap, I can't believe THAT'S PC), have highly-textured, tightly-coiled hair that requires special attention to maintain.
  • edited April 2007
    Listening to Democracy Now on National Public Radio. Turns out Imus is suspended for two weeks as of next Monday. Too bad.

Rym's correct about what nappy means. Of course Imus also called them hos.

Everyone's hair has different needs. However, within the United States, there is a Euro-centric ideal of what beauty is. That has been the case for at least the last two hundred years. Even today many black women straighten their hair to match this image. Straightening the hair requires chemicals that are damaging to the hair and scalp. Aside from that, many workplaces have set rules that state what are acceptable hairstyles to the exclusion of hairstyles that are natural and non damaging to black people's hair. Of course lawsuits and what have you caused these rules to be removed in many places but the stigma and behavior are still there. People with dreads or braids or twists or Afro's have been discriminated against for having those styles, either at jobs they already hold or when going to job interviews. Imagine having to put chemicals in your hair to be considered "normal" or "clean." Insane.

"People of color" is a social and political term of solidarity amongst non-white people who do not enjoy the privileges that whiteness affords white people. It is not used simply by black people and it is usually used by people who are politically and socially conscious and active and who are invested making life better for the underprivileged nationally and internationally. It is a term chosen by those in this political and social movement rather than being a term chosen by the state as a ways of labeling and oppressing any particular people. That is the core difference.
  • What bothers me most is the use of an apostrophe by much of the media in this word. While I cannot comment on the specific spelling that would be proper, I can say with certainty that the answer will not include one.
  • Wasn't there a rumor that the reason for the name "Napster" was that Shawn Fanning, the developer, had nappy hair?
  • edited April 2007
    Mr. Period:
    Thank you, glorious, long-absent defender of all that is good and holy. Hos. CDs. 1980s. MP3s.
    You wouldn't say "compact disc's" or "puppie's" now, would you? It's simple pluralization, folks.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Maybe it's because that I am not a person of color that I don't understand what the all the hoopla is about. But one thing I do know is that no self respecting woman of color would even bat an eye at this. Imus is just a crotchety, old man who doesn't know when to shut up.
  • The children! Think of thenappy-headed ho'schildren!
    AHHH Rym should be taken off from the air!!! Give me a break, people need to get over themselves and worry about things that actually matter.
  • The radio show has been canned.

I have a friend who is on the show (Rob Bartlett), and he will be also suffering even though he is not in any way responsible for Imus' remarks.

Great.
  • MSNBC has dropped the show, but there has been no press release that WFAN has. Do you know something we don't?

Bummer for your friend. Although... how much longer did he expect a 69 year old deejay to go? Still... sucks, though.
  • Well that's the lamest racial slur I've ever heard! If you are going to be a racist at least don't be lame about it.
  • edited April 2007
    CBS has suspended Imus while NBC has dropped him from MSNBC's simulcast. Initially NBC stated they would suspend Imus but changed that decision. NBC cites growing concern within their company by employees. People such as Al Roker and many more have blogged and written letters expressing that he should be gone. However, although they cite internal concerns, they made this announcement within a day of big money advertisers American Express, Proctor & Gamble and General Motors withdrawing their advertising due to Imus' racial and sexually degrading remarks aimed at the young black college women of the Rutger's women's basketball team.

If conscience doesn't speak at least money does every once in a while.

Edit: Sprint and Staples also withdrew their advertising.
  • It's official. Imus is being dropped altogether, radio and TV.