This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pwn

How do you pronounce this? I've heard it pronounced as "pawn", "pone", "poon", and "own". I personally switch off. But I do preferr "pawn" because that was what I first used. I know "own" and "pone" are supposedly the *right* ways to say it but I have my reasons. So what about you?

Comments

• RymRym
    edited March 2006
    Actually, I'd never heard anyone say it as "pone" until recently. I go with somthing like "poon," only the "oo" part is as short as possible. I've said it that way since I was a sophomore in high school.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have always herd it pronounced "pone". The thinking is that some goober (yes I said goober) mistyped "own" but instead typed "pwn".
  • Yeah. It seems that this word and all its iterations may have been "discovered" simultaneously in different places.

I recall the exact origin of the word in my sphere of the internet. There was a fairly big game of MegaTF going on, and a well-known and good player typed "I pwned you" instead of "I owned you." Being the young proto-humans that we all were, we parroted it back at him for weeks, until eventually it became a word in its own right.

We didn't pronounce it like "own," since the o was missing. I suppose we just said the three letters, p-w-n, as best we could. Since w can substitute as a vowel in many western languages, it worked as something similar to "poon."
  • I, and many of my friends, have said 'pone' simply becuase pone sounds and awful like own and the word connection works better with sounds than gramatical concepts....if that makes any sense.
  • I pronounce pwn own becaus that's how they pronounce it on Pure Pwnage. Awesome.
  • It would be interesting to see if "geek speak" is gaining dialects or accents.

We ususally say it like "pone."
  • Get ya'self an epic car nub!
  • I like to say it "P' own". The slight pause between "P" and "own" adds to the wonderful of internet slang.
  • edited April 2006
    Well, I pronounce it "own" because the three best gamers in the world pronounce it that way.

http://www.purepwnage.com/

Check out some of the episodes. I though that the first few episodes sucked, but I loved the rest. If you think the first one sucks, then try watching episode 3 about 4 minutes and 40 seconds into it or just start with episode 4.

By the way, I know that Trodgor will totally back me up no this one if he decides to start posting again.
    Post edited by Kamiccolo on
  • I wasn't posting because I was in Canada for a Robotics team trip. There, everybody was saying "poned". If somebody bothered to count the number of times pwned was said, it'd be in the hundreds. The word of the week.
  • ROBOTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you in the First highschool competetion?
  • FIRST w00t! Team 178 Enforcers. We just won the Engineering Inspiration award. Twice (Hartford and Toronto).

For those who have no clue: Official FIRST website.
  • Team 614 here are you going to nationals in Atlanta? We got third at the Baltimore Regional competition haha so we will be there
  • No, unfortunately not, but next year hopefully. Next year I get to be Webmaster! w00t! What was your robot's design? Our's didn't do so well, we were one of those teams that screamed whenever we shot a ball in the Center Goal.