This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070411 - Dominion Tank Police

edited April 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, Rym and Scott review Dominion Tank Police. In the news, fans confront Bandai Visual over their ludicrous pricing scheme, and Studio 4C is having a genius party.

Scott’s Thing - Haruhi Flash Mob
Rym’s Thing - Can You Speak Fake English?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    That guy at the Bandai Visual panel is my hero. I'm gonna go to their Anime Expo panel just to see if someone has the balls to do this again. And if no one does it, I will.

[Edit] Who am I kidding, I could never do that. Even more reason this guy is absolutely awesome. I'm still gonna sit through that panel just to see ~_^
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Interesting police story, we got us a non police emergency number a few years ago '131444'. Best thing ever. There should be one of them for Ambulances too. A few months ago my mum tripped over her cat and needed an x-ray but couldn't sit down, she called me to come over and we were debating how to get in touch with an ambulance. I didn't want to call '000' cause its not an emergency but the phone book does not provide you with a non emergency ambulance number.
  • Ambulances are expensive. If you ever use one, they charge you a crazy ambulance fee that you better hope your insurance pays for. If you need an ambulance, but don't want to call 911, just call the local hospital emergency room or the local EMTs. However, if it is not absolutely necessary to call an ambulance, I highly recommend driving to the emergency room or calling a cab. It is much cheaper.
  • edited April 2007
    Well in this case my mum couldn't sit she had to be lying down or standing up. In South Australia if you call an ambulance and they don't take you anywhere you pay nothing, everyone I know has coverage with SA Ambulance, you pay $50 a year and you don't have to pay anything.

Then they take you to a public hospital and you pay nothing. Of course you might have to wait in a hallway for 7 hours.
    Post edited by tuttle88 on
  • Discussion needs more Annapuma.

• Dave and his fuckin catgirl fetish...
  • Hey, those are the only catgirls I like. :(
  • edited April 2007
    Hey, those are the only catgirls I like. :(
    It was about time some says it.

Also, it was about time, I mean someone had to get the Haruhi Dancers.
    When fake languages are talk, the Spanish one was the worse of them all, it did not even sound Spanish, the Italian had some Italian words and the Japanese had "Goro" and "no" and "kun" it had some Japanese words. If Spanish people want to fake English we only add "tion" to most words :S
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • What does CHERRY MOON have to do with TANKS?!?!
  • edited April 2007
    Sorry, Scrym. I love you guys in a totally not-omgzbuttseks kind of way, but Dave and Joel won this fight with their pre-emptive strike. It was all about the ultimate deterrent. If you'd have talked about the erecticocki, you would have gotten the +5 points for the win :P

That being said, DAVE, STEP AWAY FROM THE CATGIRLS AND PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Yeah, I saw that flashmob thing off of BoingBoing and thought of mentioning it in the forums here, but I figured you guys would get to it sooner or later. Seems it was sooner :)

As to Dominion, I'm also one of those people who saw it on SciFi, right after Gall Force (and now I want to rewatch both of those and drown myself in nostalgia). I'm pretty sure that the Anime actually works as a sort ofprequel to the anime. Oh, and there seems to be an anime set in the world of Dominion or some such this season, Keisatsu Sensha Tai TANK S.W.A.T. Its being subbed by Mishicorp, the same guys who are doing Darker than Black (which you should review).
  • Keisatsu Sensha Tai TANK S.W.A.T. Its being subbed by Mishicorp, the same guys who are doing Darker than Black (which you should review).
    That's the CG Tank police that we couldn't remember the name of.

Also, I've got the first episode of Darker than Black. We'll watch it eventually.
  • edited April 2007
    I remember watching this way back. Now I see similarities between Dominion Tank Police and Ghost in the Shell which I never thought to look for before. Plus I saw the two animes so far apart from each other that it just didn't click.

Here's a link for you Rym. It is not someone mimicking an accent but it is funny.

Japanese Counting in English

Edit: This one is a little longer, towards the end he tries to say the days of the week in English. He just can't get past Sunday and Monday. Can you say Tuesday?

Edit edit: The same video though a little extended with English subtitles as well: Sunday... Can I start with the days that I know?
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • edited April 2007
    Edit: This one is a little longer, towards the end he tries to say the days of the week in English. He just can't get back Sunday and Monday.Can you say Tuesday?
    That's hillarious. It's from a show called Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ both of the hosts are comedians and do those kind of things all the time, you should see their summer specials ^_^ Pure comedy gold.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • I've only seen New Dominion Tank police, the actual content was forgettable but that Opening song was pretty damn catchy. Some day I'll catch the original OVAs (:
  • Here is a funny story for you.

When I was stationed in Germany I liked to mingle with the German girls and most of them spoke very good English. They had their own special accent based on Deutch but it was nothing major.

At one point I met a few girls who liked to hang out at the country music clubs... There is nothing funnier than talking to a girl who speaks with an accent that is a mixture of German and southern drawl! It makes things so hard because the girl is hot and you want to take her home but... The accent on the English is just all wrong, you almost expect her to have a pick-up truck parked outside with a gun rack in the back!

Though, I'm not sure which was funnier, the girls with the German/Southern drawl or the ones with the German/gangter rap accents and mannerisms.

PS: Some German girls do shave their pits. With an age of consent of only 16 it is easy to confuse a young girl with pit hair and a flat chest with a boy of the same age... Come ot think of it, the whole time I was in Germany I don't think I ever dated a girl who was from Germany proper...
  • edited April 2007
    LOL The haruhi flash mob is gold! I'm strangely inspired... thanks! :D

I always enjoy hearing people faking accents but I think it takes a talent for languages if you're to do it well. As for Japanese speaking English... maybe I heard about this from geeknights in the first place but this video is well worth watching more than once:
    Don't you laugh
    Post edited by fuurin on
  • GIVE US MORE TANKS!!!!!

WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF WAR!!!!! XD
  • Alright, so maybe its cause I'm a girl that I don't get the catgirl thing but tell me, why do anime fanboys like the cat girls? What is it about girls with cat ears on?
  • Alright, so maybe its cause I'm a girl that I don't get the catgirl thing but tell me, why do anime fanboys like the cat girls? What is it about girls with cat ears on?
    Don't ask me. The cat ears don't do it for me. The Tank Police cat girls are hot because they are less cat and more girl. Also, I'm sure Rym will tell you that he likes Fox tails, not cat ears.
  • WRONG.

The Tank Police cat girls are hot because they're sadists.

And then have impeccably lame Southern accents in the dub, that helps.
  • WRONG.

The Tank Police cat girls are hot because they're sadists.

And then have impeccably lame Southern accents in the dub, that helps.
    Whatever floats your boat man.
    The otaku girls have their cat boys nowadays as well... Cat boys + BL on top of all! XD
    http://www.nitrochiral.com/pc/software/lamento/

I guess the theory is that combining two things you like = something you like even more?
    I've never been particularly fussed about extra features though, if you're hot you're hot. There's no real need for cat ears/elf ears/[enter other cross-species feature] IMO... ^^
  • Look what I found from searching on Amazon.