This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Our God is an Awesome God

edited April 2007 in Flamewars
On the way to the Metro Station this morning, I saw a car with a vanity license plate border that said "God is Awesome." I was reminded of that new hymn "Our God is an Awesome God", and that I've seen many people (mostly in KY) wearing T-Shirts that said "God is Awesome."

Well, I would hope that any God would be at least awesome. I mean, that's kind of below even the minimum requirements, isn't it? I think Nancy Pelosi is awesome, but she's not a god. I'm kinda hoping that a god would be a little more than awesome - maybe omnipotent or something. (Most of this week I've been feeling bad - kinda omniimpotent.)

What about the people whose gods are just "meh"? That's what I want to see - someone with a T-Shirt that says "My god is meh."

And another thing - remember that Doobie Brother's song "Jesus is Just Alright"? Just alright? Not even awesome? Like, "Hey, you know that Jesus dude? Yeah, He's alright. I mean, he's ok, I guess." Talk about faint praise.

Comments

• Well I guess if you've got a ton of Gods like your Hindus maybe some of them are cooler than others. There are God hierarchies, therefore your chief God would be aweseomer than your lesser Gods.
  • edited April 2007
    Well I guess if you've got a ton of Gods like your Hindus maybe some of them are cooler than others. There are God hierarchies, therefore your chief God would be aweseomer than your lesser Gods.
    Yeah, but wouldn't the least god of the pantheon have to be awesome?

I'm not gonna worship a crappy god.

Did you ever see that comic strip "Marlys" where she was talking about meeting an indigenous tribe, telling them that their god was a fake-out and that they had to stop praying to their fakey gods? That was funny.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • RymRym
    edited April 2007
    An unpopular or weak god who has fewer followers would likely be much more devoted to what few he had. ^_~ In the very least, he'll be awake when you pray for spells, and he certainly won't let you get killed. (Well, unless he's lonely).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Most of this week I've been feeling bad - kinda omniimpotent.
    Shooting blanks huh? :p
    Not even shooting.
  • The modifier "just" in that Doobies song isn't a limiter. It's "just" as in: "How are you feeling? Just fine. You?"

I love that band. "Long Train Running" and "Listen to the Music" are some of the earliest songs I remember hearing on the radio, and who the hell doesn't like "Black Water?"

Similar on the list is the band America - not just for "Sister Golden Hair" and "Horse With No Name," but also for "Tin Man" and "Ventura Highway."
  • edited April 2007
    I think Nancy Pelosi is awesome
    Spending billions upon billions of dollars in pork just to get enough votes for a useless "recommendation" that we pull out if Iraq... Going to Syria and misrepresenting the Israelis....

Yeah... she's awesome.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Similar on the list is the band America - not just for "Sister Golden Hair" and "Horse With No Name," but also for "Tin Man" and "Ventura Highway."
    Easily one of my favorite bands. Props to you. ^_^
  • I'm not gonna worship a crappy god.
    Go the underdog!
  • edited April 2007
    The modifier "just" in that Doobies song isn't a limiter. It's "just" as in: "How are you feeling? Just fine. You?"
    . . . which is still pretty faint praise for Our Lord and Savior. I mean, when you say "Just fine", you usually mean, ". . . could be better, could be worse, kinda luke-warm in the middle . . .", which is kinda odd praise for someone who's supposed to have died in a nasty way as a sacrifice for your sins and then come back from the dead to offer you everlasting life. ". . . absolution and everlasting life? That's just fine, I guess . . ."

Note that I'm not knocking the band itself. I just think the lyrics of that particular song are odd.
    An unpopular or weak god who has fewer followers would likely be much more devoted to what few he had. ^_~ In the very least, he'll be awake when you pray for spells, and he certainly won't let you get killed. (Well, unless he's lonely).
    If (s)he was unpopular or weak, what would (s)he be able to do?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited April 2007
    Joe, I don't think it was meant to be praise. I think the Doobies were saying, "Yeah, if that's still around, then that's cool. Anybody got a light?"

If you look at the lyrics, it's structured like a black spiritual, and I think they were just trying to incorporate that soul sound into their hillbilly southern rock motif. I very, very much doubt that the song was in any way a proclamation of belief.

To sum up: They wanted to be as cool as the black guys they knew. It was about emulation, not personal religion.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I'm not gonna worship a crappy god.
    You worshipped Finder, didn't you? :p

Also, I have a question for former or current Christian church-goers. When you hear "May the Force be with you," do you immediately think "And also with you?"
  • Sort of an aside but I was extremely surprised how religious the south is. Being from a pretty liberal area (Northern VA), it was extremely awkward to come to Atlanta and see billboards praising God and having at least four Christian ministries within walking distance of my dorm. I am even told that Georgia Tech is pretty liberal compared to the rest of Georgia.
  • Also, I have a question for former or current Christian church-goers. When you hear "May the Force be with you," do you immediately think "And also with you?"
    Sadly, yes. But then again, I was Catholic-schooled for 8 years...and had to go to church at least 3 times a week when school was in session.
  • Joe, I don't think it was meant to be praise. I think the Doobies were saying, "Yeah, if that's still around, then that's cool. Anybody got a light?"
    I agree for the most part, I just think it's funny if you imagine it more as intended praise that kinda falls flat.

I dont care what they may say
    I dont care what they may do
    I dont care what they may say
    Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
    Jesus is just alright

Now without the music, I'm kind of led to another interpretation: Is it possible they mean to say, "I don't care what Christians think, I think Jesus is just (only) alright (meaning not holy)"?
  • Also, I have a question for former or current Christian church-goers. When you hear "May the Force be with you," do you immediately think "And also with you?"
    Sadly, yes. But then again, I was Catholic-schooled for 8 years...and had to go to church at least 3 times a week when school was in session.
    Same here, except we didn't go to church 3 times a week. Once a month, we had an entire day of mass and religion class, on top of the daily religion class.
  • edited April 2007
    I was reminded of that new hymn "Our God is an Awesome God"
    I cannot stand that song.
    Post edited by Infinity on
  • I thought of YTMND when I read the title of this thread.

@Jason: I just queued up my Doobie/America music because of you... I'd like to hear some funky dixieland...
    Not even shooting.
    This morning - when I was coughing up blood? It's usually bright red, but this morning it was kind of a black-purple.

That's good . . . right?