This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Intel UMPC... the future?

edited April 2007 in Technology
Intel UMPC vid

UMPC the ultra mobile personal computer. The video is awesome, but will it really be the future of computing? As far as I can tell not in the near future. It looks like the closest to the ideal UMPC right now is the Asus R2H which, if it didn't cost 999.99, would be a cool little gadget to have around. The features aren't too bad either; 900Mhz intel processor, 60GB hd, 7in display, GPS and 3g, as well as 802.11g (but not n), and some other cool stuff. There's also the Samsung Q1 with the Q1P being the latest model. It has basically the same specs as the Asus one but at 1.0Ghz Intel processor. Even though they're smaller than a laptop, it still seems a little too big to be practical for the "on the go" kind of person. In any case what do you think of it? and UMPC in general?

Also, is it me or does they look alot like the PSP, or the Sega Gamegear?

EDIT: It seems there's going to be a big announcement on April 17th

Comments

• UMPCs have been around for a few months. Engadget has been doing a pretty good job of covering them. They recognize that these things are cool on paper, but on their podcast they ask "who needs one?" This is a device without a customer. Who on earth would have their needs better suited by a UMPC as opposed to a laptop, tablet or palm? Who is this for? What does it do better than other devices?

If you ask me, the UMPC's future is the living room. If you can get wireless audio, video, and storage, then you can just have one of these things control your entire media center. Other than that, what is the UMPC for?