This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

We are gonna be sorry

edited April 2007 in Flamewars
Good thing it isn't 2008 yet. If I had to call it now, I think most people would agree the GOP doesn't stand a chance of taking the White House. And why should they? George Bush inarguably has committed grave offenses against America, all in the name of winning one lousy war. Is it important? Should we all just stop bickering and support our President, because the Middle East is and will become even more a grave threat to our security, and that outweighs all other concerns? Of course not. I don't care if this war is preventing World War 3. It's not worth compromising our freedoms, the foundation of what makes us Americans.

That being said, Bush is on the way out anyway. No matter who replaces him, no matter which party, his policies will expire with his office. Any conservative will have to tread carefully in that place. Bush has stained the concepts of "conservative" and "Republican" with his own tyrannical policies, which really resemble neither political wing--they are his ideas alone.

So who's going to pick up the slack? If the vote were tomorrow, it would be a dead heat, but the smart money's on Obama. We Americans have far more guilt about black people than women, so he gets a bigger sympathy vote. Plus, he has ineffable charisma, and he has eloquently avoided shooting himself in the foot, as so many presidential hopefuls have managed to do in just the last 4 months alone. He's got what it takes.

And that's all we know about him. He's a politican, like any other. Bush said things in 2000 and 2008 before the elections, and then he did something else. My god, people, that's what they always do. They make promises, and break them. They say they're for this, but they're really for that. Now, we've got Boston republicans pretending to be hunters, and two front-running Democrats who are so full of pomp and pageantry that we hardly know where they stand on *anything*.

It's a good bet they stand on Democratic ideas. Historically, Democrats have favored big government, which means less rights for Americans. They'll latch on to a few things that everybody agrees with, like industrial regulation to reduce the causes of global warming. Then, they'll tack on some gun control, some tougher laws to restrict the freedom of students, and maybe (especially if we get Hillary) some video game control too. After all, they're just as evil, ask anybody.

What will we get with the GOP? God, who knows. They can't field a halfway decent candidate, because they've all fallen under so much corruption in the last 10 years that they've hardly got anyone left with a soul. They don't know what platform to stand on to win it. They're making John Kerry look like an icon of stability with their indecision. They're making fools of themselves.

No matter what, Bush politics will end, and that's a good thing. However, the political world is so polarized, so charged with strong, negative emotions, that anyone we get is going to piss a lot of people off. Rooting for so-and-so for 2008 is short-sighted, since things could easily turn around again in 2012. It's a vicious cycle, this polarization, and it is perpetuated by ignorance and irrational argument.

The media feeds off of this energy, and augments it. They can't wait to politicize everything that happens, especially if it's negative. They sit behind their desks and say inflammatory things, hidden behind the glass wall of the camera. They bring people into their outdated "networks" by hosting the most popular shows on television. Pure news outlets like newspapers and news channels tend toward a political leaning and become a breeding ground for that viewpoint, regardless of facts.

It's the media, and they've always been this way. Well, at least for the last century or so, since the modern, sensationalist newspaper was invented by Pulitzer and Hearst.

But do we need them anymore? Do we not have a new, entirely superior method of mass communication?

The media claims to be objective, and accountable. But in fact, one is not allowed to question their objectivity, because they use tricky words, and it's easy to pretend to be accountable when you are isolated from the world by cameras and closed doors.

Internet communication is supposed to be subjective and anonymous. But completely slanted viewpoints are quickly reduced to tatters, and the facts tend to prevail in group discussion. An internet user's reputation is easily and instantly discoverable using various tools, and particularly egregious offenders of logic and internet etiquette will be swiftly called out by a vast army of internet watchdogs.

While all individuals are subjective, the masses tend to be objective. The media doesn't have masses, it has monolithic personalities who consume their own marketing feces and become caricatures of themselves. It is impossible for individuals, especially those with massively inflated egos, to be subjective. It becomes equally difficult to hold them accountable, since they can always hide behind their popularity and their lawyers.

So why the hell do we listen to them at all?

While I don't have a ready solution to abolish the traditional media, I can say this: no matter how politics changes in the coming years, we're all going to be pissed off about something, and the fires of our frustration will be fanned by the traditional media.

Just a bit of crushing pessimism for an otherwise boring Wednesday.

Comments

Oh, Nancy, my love for ch00 knows no bounds. I have wrote for ch00 dis poeme:

Roses are #FF0000
    Violets are #0000FF
    All my base
    Are belong to you
  • edited April 2007
    You seem to be idealizing the internet. The media excluding the internet is supposed to be objective but indeed it is not. Every network and newspaper has it's own bias. Short of watching C-Span or flying to Iraq or Palestine or Darfur or Virginia and forming your own opinion, whatever news you receive will be tainted with a degree of bias. The internet is no different. Objectivity would require a person to simply say what has occurred. At Virginia Tech, a 23 year old senior at shot and killed 32 people and then killed himself. That is an objective statement. There is no emotion or speculation. It is a simple observation of an occurrence.

What the internet offers is the ability to discuss the topic with people no matter where they are located in the world. So instead of just talking to your friends, coworkers and family and perhaps the occasional radio/tv program, you now you have a larger group of people to speak to. And instead of watching TV or reading the paper, people get the news from the TV channel's and newspaper's websites and form their opinions from that. What has changed in that department?
    Internet communication is supposed to be subjective and anonymous. But completely slanted viewpoints are quickly reduced to tatters, and the facts tend to prevail in group discussion. An internet user's reputation is easily and instantly discoverable using various tools, and particularly egregious offenders of logic and internet etiquette will be swiftly called out by a vast army of internet watchdogs.
    Most people will gravitate to news outlets and discussion forums that match their previously existing views. Most people, unfortunately, do not have open minds and hardly care about facts. Most people are sheep. So as for slanted viewpoints, it is all in the eye of the forum that you are in. It's relative to what neck of the internet you are in. To give an extreme example, if you are a racist, your views will most likely be accepted on a KKK forum while someone who is not racist will be the one with the bad reputation and whose viewpoints are quickly reduced to tatters. The logic is whatever those who are on that forum decide it to be regardless of if it is legitimate.
    The media feeds off of this energy, and augments it. They can't wait to politicize everything that happens, especially if it's negative.
    Politics are all about running the country properly, whatever the bias, and that means dealing with whatever issue the country has. Major issues cannot not be politicized. Schools are being shot up all over the country. Something is wrong. What causes these things to happen? How can this problem be solved? Simply isolating something like this shooting as just the shooter's own craziness is ridiculous. Self-caused and self-inflicted. It's like saying "that tree chose to die," when the tree didn't get any sun, water, carbon dioxide, the soil was dead and termites are eating away at it. But the tree should have grown and flourished right?
    Here Here! Obama might be a good President. But if he doesn't get in, My next pick would be Rudy Giuliani.
    Oh my god no, had enough of him when he was the mayor of NYC.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • Good thing it isn't 2008 yet. If I had to call it now, I think most people would agree the GOP doesn't stand a chance of taking the White House.
    No argument there.
    Bush has stained the concepts of "conservative" and "Republican" with his own tyrannical policies, which really resemble neither political wing--they are his ideas alone.
    Bush is far from a tyrant. Last time I checked, we still live in a democracy. Heck... the Democrats couldn't even get it together to pull out the troops. You may not agree with Bush, but that doesn't mean that your baseless inflammatory accusations have merit.
    So who's going to pick up the slack? If the vote were tomorrow, it would be a dead heat, but the smart money's on Obama.
    Obama's got a great chance, but I'm not so sure he's got it sown up. People are just waiting for him to screw up. Hillary has been through the ringer already - so there isn't much left (if anything) that can harm her.

I thought that I would NEVER vote for Hillary. But you know... I came to a conclusion a couple of weeks ago. When Bill Clinton was in office, things were pretty damn good. Bill Clinton was a fairly conservative Democrat. Other than a huge tax increase, he supported a lot of right-wing ideas. (Free trade, welfare reform, etc). If only our worst worries were DNA stains on a dress. I'd go back to those days in a heartbeat. Assuming that Hillary is politically aligned with Bill... I think I may actually vote for her.

And that's the rub. Hillary is a known commodity. Obama is not.
    We Americans have far more guilt about black people than women, so he gets a bigger sympathy vote.
    I don't think the average voter has much guilt for either. What will help Obama is that blacks will support him in greater numbers than women will support Hillary. Many black women will vote for Obama. Many conservative women will vote Republican. This all hurts Hillary.
    It's a good bet they stand on Democratic ideas. Historically, Democrats have favored big government, which means less rights for Americans.
    Bingo. Let me put it in plain english: THERE IS HARDLY A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO PARTIES ANYMORE. People just don't get this. Both parties are spending our money like it's going out of style. Both parties LOVE pork. The Democrats couldn't pass a bill to get us out if Iraq despite receiving a mandate to do so.
    What will we get with the GOP? God, who knows. They can't field a halfway decent candidate, because they've all fallen under so much corruption in the last 10 years that they've hardly got anyone left with a soul.
    There really hasn't been much corruption. What little there has been is pretty petty. The president fired 8 US Attorneys. Yeah... that's his right. Plain and simple. (Which is why I can't understand why he's so defensive about it.) Haliburton? Hey... the Democrats have control over budget bills. Can't blame the Republicans entirely for Haliburton getting rich.

Keep in mind, Bill Clinton became president because no serious contender wanted to go up against George Bush Sr.
    They don't know what platform to stand on to win it. They're making John Kerry look like an icon of stability with their indecision. They're making fools of themselves.
    So are the Democrats by keeping us in Iraq. It's the one issue they were elected to deal with - and they couldn't even get that done.
    The political world is so polarized, so charged with strong, negative emotions, that anyone we get is going to piss a lot of people off. Rooting for so-and-so for 2008 is short-sighted, since things could easily turn around again in 2012. It's a vicious cycle, this polarization, and it is perpetuated by ignorance and irrational argument.
    I don't think it's nearly as polarized as it has been. Keep in mind, we got through a civil war, segregation, etc. The states (and people) are more closely aligned now than perhaps they've ever been.
    The media feeds off of this energy, and augments it. They can't wait to politicize everything that happens, especially if it's negative.
    The media has always been powerful - and has never been afraid to push an agenda. What's changed now is the amount of space that needs to be filled. CNN and FOX News have to fill 24 hours of programing every day.
    While I don't have a ready solution to abolish the traditional media, I can say this: no matter how politics changes in the coming years, we're all going to be pissed off about something, and the fires of our frustration will be fanned by the traditional media.
    Ever hear of the First Amendment? You should read it.

There is a chicken-and-egg issue here. The media is out to sell advertisements. Therefore, they put out what people want. So who is to blame, the people or the media?

• I thought that I would NEVER vote for Hillary. But you know... I came to a conclusion a couple of weeks ago. When Bill Clinton was in office, things were pretty damn good. Bill Clinton was a fairly conservative Democrat. Other than a huge tax increase, he supported a lot of right-wing ideas. (Free trade, welfare reform, etc). If only our worst worries were DNA stains on a dress. I'd go back to those days in a heartbeat. Assuming that Hillary is politically aligned with Bill... I think I may actually vote for her.

And that's the rub. Hillary is a known commodity. Obama is not.
    I'm sorry, but I really need some new blood in the White House. I'm sick of both the Bush and Clinton families.
  • Here Here! Obama might be a good President. But if he doesn't get in, My next pick would be Rudy Giuliani.
  • Baseless? Oh my fucking god, dude, what rock have you been hiding under? When Bush stops lying to Congress and the American people (WMDs), betraying the trust of his own military and intelligence agencies (Plame), violating the fundamental principles of American justice (habeas corpus), violating basic, universal concepts of human rights, as well as our oaths to the international world (torture), and hiring incompetent cronies who make a mockery of our justice system (Gonzales), then we'll talk.

Jesus Christ, dude, there's a mountain of evidence. He's using the O.J. defense, and has been for a long time. "Prove it!" "Okay, we did." "Nah, you didn't, cuz I said so."

I'm not saying I'm against conservative policy, or even necessarily against the war. Even if it's true that Middle East security concerns and anti-terrorism outweigh all other concerns, it's not worth compromising the principles that make us American. That's not the conservative way, that's not the liberal way, it's just the Bush way.

What do you have to gain by backing this guy? What on Earth would possess you to defend him? The violations of our freedoms and our human rights, not to mention those of other nations, are unnecessary and illegal, period. It is simply what happens when you have huge amounts of power consolidated in one man protected by walls of isolation.

Politics is politics. I expect corruption. Tyranny takes it one step further. One man deciding he knows what's best for everyone, and ignoring everything his own people say, not to mention violating the laws they wrote to put him in office in the first place, is tyranny, period. For God's sake, get it through your fucking head. He's no good. He wasn't good on 9/12, he's no good today. This is way beyond politics.

George Bush Sr. was all about politics. He was thoroughly Republican and New Right, and pursued a conservative agenda. That's fine. People voted for that. He didn't "finish the job" in Iraq because of the political pressure, and the difficulties he knew would ensue. He was right. Sometimes, those stupid, pesky 300,000,000 Americans are actually RIGHT.
  • edited April 2007
    What do you have to gain by backing this guy?
    I don't defend him, and I never have. I've been against the Iraq war from the start.

However, arguments are significantly diluted when you use words such as "tyranical." Here is the simple truth: We live in a democracy. We aren't ruled by a tyrant. We are ruled by a president who has made some pretty shitty decisions. If you want to talk politics, that's fine. If you want to throw around inflammatory words, that's a weak way to make your point.

To address a couple of your points:
    1) The courts have ruled on the Guantanamo detainees. Why are you so angry? The process is working. The detainees have representation (if they want it), and the courts are stepping in when needed.
    2) How has Gonzales made a mockery of our justice system? He's got the right, through the president, to fire people. He's got the right to claim executive privilege. He may not be terribly competent, but once again you're resorting to inflammatory language.
    3) Bush has not violated basic human rights. Your argument is vague at best. If you're referring to things like the Patriot Act - it was passed by the Congress, and reviewed by the Courts. Sounds pretty democratic to me. Why are you so hell bent on pinning it exclusively on Bush?

Like I said, I'm no defender of Bush. They guy makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth. Nonetheless, I'm not quite the Chicken Little that you are.

Frankly, it sounds like emotion has gotten the better of you.

It drives me nuts when I hear Democrats complaining about Bush as if they don't shoulder some of the blame. I can't say it more clearly: Pelosi was given a mandate and completely sold the electorate out. She has been absolutely worthless. Billions of dollars in pork given away just to get a non-binding resolution passed? That's greater incompetence than Bush has ever shown. She gave away billions of dollars to get.... nothing.

The problem is our two-party system where neither party is that different from the other.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Pardon me, but where is it written in stone upon tablets by God that the media 'is supposed to be unbiased?'
  • Pardon me, but where is it written in stone upon tablets by God that the media 'is supposed to be unbiased?'
    I'm writing a history paper on the Irish opinion of the British during the Great Famine. I picked up this book that analyzed the British newspapers from the time. 5 years of newspapers condensed down into a 300-400 pg book makes trends become exceedingly obvious. The nature of the press is to shift their views to achieve their agenda. For example, the general trend among the British newspapers was to deny the existence or severity of a famine in Ireland to sway the public opinion on the Corn Laws. Then, a matter of weeks later, the press would admit the horrors of the famine for the sole reason of making Robert Peel look bad and getting him out of office. A few weeks later, they would switch to the former. A few weeks after that, they would switch to the later. This cycle continued for literally two years before Robert Peel was forced to resign. You can imagine how tedious this book was because of this continuous loop, but it just shows that the very nature of the press is to shift opinion and manipulate information in order to sway the public to the agenda of their liking.
  • Burn it all down.

Any biological system has a natural end to its lifecycle (the one or two "immortal" organisms in nature notwithstanding), and a thing that has grown to a point of bloat will, invariably, die off. Forest fires are often necessary in order to continue to allow the forest to grow; otherwise, the old-growth trees choke out all the life under them.

Working for the government has only made me more anti-government as time goes on. Funny, eh?
  • Burn it all down.Any biological system has a natural end to its lifecycle (the one or two "immortal" organisms in nature notwithstanding), and a thing that has grown to a point of bloat will, invariably, die off. Forest fires are often necessary in order to continue to allow the forest to grow; otherwise, the old-growth trees choke out all the life under them.
    I sense an implication of anarchy.
  • I agree. There was a time when a major goal of mine was to run for public office. After covering government news for so long, this is no longer a dream. The system is corrupt. I could not participate as an elected official; it would force me to break too many of my ideals.

Now, don't mistake this for an anti-America rant. I still think that the United States has the best government in the world. However, this isn't an endorsement -- just an aknowledgement that all other governments are even more corrupt and impotent.
  • Burn it all down.Any biological system has a natural end to its lifecycle (the one or two "immortal" organisms in nature notwithstanding), and a thing that has grown to a point of bloat will, invariably, die off. Forest fires are often necessary in order to continue to allow the forest to grow; otherwise, the old-growth trees choke out all the life under them.
    I sense an implication of anarchy.
    I always thought that you grow OUT of the anarchistic ideal as you grow up, but I've actually gone in reverse. I used to be a traditional conservative Christian back when I was younger, and as I've matured and learned better, I'm becoming some kind of atheistic anarchist.

Technically, I'm not really advocating anarchy in the notion of a lack of a system. I'm advocating overhaul/reform/starting all over again. Whatever has happened to the great experiment of America, I think it's failing and can't be saved.

You might have guessed, by the way, that I'm a huge fan of the writings of Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is perhaps on of the best commentaries on the decline of the American ideal I've ever read.
  • Technically, I'm not really advocating anarchy in the notion of a lack of a system. I'm advocating overhaul/reform/starting all over again...Fear and Loathing in Las Vegasis perhaps on of the best commentaries on the decline of the American ideal I've ever read.
    Huh, I thought you'd prefer a book more like this.
  • Technically, I'm not really advocating anarchy in the notion of a lack of a system. I'm advocating overhaul/reform/starting all over again...Fear and Loathing in Las Vegasis perhaps on of the best commentaries on the decline of the American ideal I've ever read.
    Huh, I thought you'd prefer a book more likethis.
    Man, that thing brings back memories.
  • Can you believe these new hospital-bedside DOJ shenanigans??
  • For those who look back with rose-tinted glasses at the tenure of Bill Clinton let me remind you that he had to work with a Republican Congress and Newt. If he had been able to work with a Democrat controlled Congress events would have played out in a similar fashion to what we have seen with Bush having a Republican Congress.
  • For the 2008 election, I predict:

A long back-and-forth stalemate (once again) between two candidates essentially chosen by the media or some other arbitrary force, with the winner being the one who gets in the last little jab at the other before election day and pushes that little wave of voters over to their side.

Fuck cautious optimism, I choose cautious pessimism.
  • Point - Everybody supposedly hates bush, and has since his first term in office.
    Point - He's Served two terms.
    Point - Despite Moorewellian Conspiracy theories, he has been voted in for both those terms.

Question - If He's such a shithouse President, Why did he get a second term?
    Jesus Christ, dude, there's a mountain of evidence.

Give us your mountain, so we may climb it.
    What do you have to gain by backing this guy? What on Earth would possess you to defend him?

I am fully aware these questions were not directed at me, but I suppose that they could easily be pointed at me, so I will answer them to save a little time- I Can't back him, really - I'm an Australian Citizen, and have no say in American Political Process. But as for Defending him - Give him a fair go. Yeah, The Guy's a Dick, But Give him a fair go, and if you're going to hang him, Hang him on real, concrete evidence, with no room for interpretation.
    Sometimes, those stupid, pesky 300,000,000 Americans are actually RIGHT.

A majority of them voted for him. Twice.
    Why are you so hell bent on pinning it exclusively on Bush?

What stands true behind a rifle also stands true on a soapbox - Its easier to have one big target than many smaller ones.
    And When a Soapbox is your weapon, what bigger, easier target is there than the Big man at the top?
  • I would not say a majority of Americans voted him in twice because:

1) In 2000 Gore won the popular vote and Bush won the electoral college vote.

2) In neither election did a majority of the "American people" vote him in. It was a majority of those who voted that voted him in in 2004.

Unlike Australia, voting is not mandatory.
  • edited May 2007
    Unlike Australia, voting is not mandatory.

Ah yes - I know this, though in my defence, It was an error of phrasing than an error of facts.

Probably a better way to put it is "A majority of the Voting public put him in office. Twice."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Question - If He's such a shithouse President, Why did he get a second term?
    This is an example of the logical fallacy argumentum ad numerum. That more people made the decision or gave support did not mean it was the logical, correct, justified, proper, or best choice. It simply means that more people made it. You could as well ask, "If being fat is unhealthy, then why do so many people eat at McDonald's?"
  • Point - Everybody supposedly hates bush, and has since his first term in office.
    Point - He's Served two terms.
    Point - Despite Moorewellian Conspiracy theories, he has been voted in for both those terms.

Question - If He's such a shithouse President, Why did he get a second term?
    Because a majority of Americans are stupid and have no idea of international politics. I believe you couldn't have a better example then Ron Paul during the second Republican debate. He made several points on the history of our involvement in the Middle East and was discussing how our actions over there have cause the backlash that led to the resentment they hold over there, including possible motivations for 9/11. However, Guiliani spewed his "patriotic" rhetoric and of course everyone just ignored Paul. It's as if American's are shoving their fingers in their ears and screaming "LALALalalaLALA" whenever anyone tries to explain our history over there.

You say give him a fair go, we did. We honestly did. Look what happened, he took a fragile nation and basically destabilized it. The unfortunate reality is that if we pull out now, the shiites will slaughter the suni's in a massive genocide. That is one thing Bush does not want on his record, which I have a feeling is why he is so reluctant to pull out of Iraq. It's interesting that we choose which genocide's we want to prevent or stop. Darfur is going through a major genocide right now, but why don't we stop it? There is no economic gain in stabilizing the region. I'm not some fringe liberal crackpot, but oil certainly has a role with our involvement within the middle east. If we were to be foreign oil independent, I suspect that we would not be nearly as involved in the middle east as we are now.
  • That more people made the decision or gave support did not mean it was the logical, correct, justified, proper, or best choice. It simply means that more people made it.
    Well, Yes, that was sort of my point, part of the reason he should be given a fair go, as it were - Because he's not the only one who makes poor decisions, even when given the evidence at hand.

Admittedly, though, I made my point clumsily, and in such a convoluted way that it was barely made at all - for this I apologise.
    It's as if American's are shoving their fingers in their ears and screaming "LALALalalaLALA" whenever anyone tries to explain our history over there.
    It is an unfortunately common reaction, not only in Americans, but many others. Ignoring history is a sure way to repeat it, but unfortunately, we're all to busy watching TV to crack the spine on our textbooks.
    I'm not some fringe liberal crackpot, but oil certainly has a role with our involvement within the middle east. If we were to be foreign oil independent, I suspect that we would not be nearly as involved in the middle east as we are now.
    No argument from me there - even Ray Charles could see it.
    Why do you think That Australia's claim to Antarctica is Facing a Challenge? It sure as hell ain't the wonderful Climate for skiing.
    You say give him a fair go, we did. We honestly did.
    Another point I admittedly wasn't totally clear on - Hindsight being 20/20 - I do not Mean a Fair go as the leader of the American Nation - I simply mean that if we're going to metaphorically hang him with his own ropes, we should be damn sure to find the Receipt from when He bought it.
  • I think the main problem with people re-electing people who they appear to dislike is that the other option is just too awful. Everyone I talk to hates John Howard (except my great uncle who goes to Liberal Party fund raisers *shudder*) but he keeps getting re-elected. Know why? because we don't have an effective opposition. Because option A may suck but at least they aren't at risk of imploding and turning on each other.

Opposition parties can't run on an "I'm not the other guy ticket", they actually need a platform of their own otherwise they just won't get in.
  • If he had been able to work with a Democrat controlled Congress events would have played out in a similar fashion to what we have seen with Bush having a Republican Congress.
    I do doubt, however, that he would have invaded and occupied two foreign nations, at least one of which with no demonstrable cause for doing so.
  • If he had been able to work with a Democrat controlled Congress events would have played out in a similar fashion to what we have seen with Bush having a Republican Congress.

I do doubt, however, that he would have invaded and occupied two foreign nations, at least one of which with no demonstrable cause for doing so.

I did not mean similar fashion as in going to war. I meant similar fashion as is nobody in Congress to stop him.
  • You all seem to be ignoring one very important thing. Whether we like it or not the country isn't run by the government. Well...in a way I suppose it is. The country is run by the government, and the government is run by the businesses. We are allowed the luxury of voting for a candidate but we are not afforded the luxury of selecting that candidate. Instead the candidate is selected by the people with the money. The people that can afford to back a candidate and put said candidate in the forefronts of our minds.

Perhaps with the advent of the Internet that policy is beginning to change. Perhaps. None the less...the options we are given are not what a sane man would choose. The options we are given are chosen by people who see advantages for themselves, or rather, for their business and their pocket book. THAT is where the real problem lies.
  • Ah, point well made. Indeed, the newest venue of the campaign trail is the internet. Take a look at the YouTube. They have pages for every candidate. Any presidential candidate would be a fool to NOT take advantage of this new playing field.
  • Yes, that is a big problem with national level politics in the USA. One group decides who will be in the primary and then we get to pick from that small group.

Howard Dean almost became an Internet wonder last time around but they got him with the "scream". The same thing could be said for Ron Paul except the public is warming up to him. This is in part due to the fact that he is presenting the terrorism problem not in the simple "blame America first" format but is instead saying, "Look at the history. How would you feel if a foreign country did this to us?"