This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Somehow I'm watching a ton of stuff this season. It wasn't my intention to.

-Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III
    Three episodes so far and seems like a major step up from the previous two season. Animation is better, the characters are much, much better. They were so flat before and now they are actually interesting. I could make a few nitpicks but over all enjoying it.

-Kagewani -II-
    This is is a short anime by the same guy who did the first season of Yamishibi. The first season really picked up at the end and this continues from there. I don't know if it would blow anyone away but it is a neat little experiment in horror anime. Dude does the suspense part really well.

-Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
    I've only seen one episode of this but it was really entertaining, if it holds up I'd say it would be my second favorite anime this season. It is very much from the makers of Attack on Titian but just different enjoy to be interesting. First episode had some intense movie level pacing. Would love to see how it plays out.

-Bungo Stray Dogs
    I will probably watch it all. This is totally the kind of goofy crap I would have loved as a teen girl.

-Flying Witch
    Looks like a lot has already been said, seems like a cute chill show. I really like the comedic timing it in so far.

-Joker Game
    Probably my favorite so far this season. Yeah, serious period dramas. Though it looks like it will be episodic so again guess we shall see how it plays out and holds up.

-Ace Attorney
    A lot had been said about this one also. I tend not to drop anime unless it utterly infuriates me, so I'll probably watch it all. Bad Ace Attorney still has some charm to it.

-Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV
    I haven't been interested in a FF game in a long while, but hot dude driving around in a car has gotten my interest (lol). This pretty nice, and a good peak into what the world will be like without spoiling the actual game.

-My Hero Academia
    This...might actually be my second favorite show this season. I only started watching it because it was the big show this season but I like it a lot more then I thought I would. I think I like it more than One Punch Man personally. The third episode took a turn I was kind of hoping they wouldn't take (but is not surprising in a Shonen Jump title) but they still managed not to invalid the theme they were going for. So far so good? Really cute and silly show though.

-Assassination Classroom
    Left over from last season. I really love Assassination Classroom. I might like the manga a bit better but the show has been fun to watch and I can't wait to see how the ending looks animated. Another fun silly show.

-The World God Only Knows
    My friends have been trying to get me to watch this show for years. And since I am doing that MyAnimeList anime challenge, I decided to use this as one of my choices. At first I was like "ehhhhh" but then I got more into it. I can't say I like it as much as my friends but it is certainly better than I thought. The concept is the greatest dating sim VN player has to woo real girls (or die) and he uses the techniques he has learned from games to do so. The show has surprising emotional depth though. Once they got to the story line about the idol singer, I really started to like it. It just kind of seems to get away from it's self with side stories though.
  • I totally forgot about this but a new Macross series came out this season. Macross Delta. I even watched the preview promo episode a few months ago.
  • The Star Fox short is now archived on Nintendo's Twitch account. Fast-forward to 29:15.
  • Episode 23 of Utena... So much wtf. Nothing makes sense anymore. Proceeding at this point is just in a vague hope that sense will be restored.
  • Gave the Netflix original Ajin an episode. It's average, but the cel shaded 3d animation is a little floaty and odd during all the non-action sequences. I may give it another try.

Also tried an episode of Yuki Yuna is a Hero. Not amazing, shades of Madoka, but there is a lot of dialogue from a 'veteran' character that is just explaining things. Probably not worth more time, although I like the fact that when a disabled girl's powers manifest, she remains disabled.
  • Just read Ajin the manga. It's in print from Vertical. Also available on Crunchyroll manga.
  • The BBQ was very entertaining but a Nanami episode right in the middle of I wanna know wtf is going on is sorta... unwelcome.
  • That episode is pretty important. All the Nanami episodes are.

But the first time you're watching? They appear right in the middle of everything you care about at the time.
  • Nanami's 3 followers, is it a stretch to think they're the shadow girls? My only real clue that might be true is the hair styles of the shadow girls, seem similar to those 3.

At the end of the day, maybe they're gossiping in the shadows, while no one is around. The only one still around to overhear is Utena. Almost like she needs to hear what they say, to reaffirm her contrary position.
  • Welp, I'm now done with Utena. I still have unanswered questions. I think I have to like rewatch the last 9 or so episodes. I'm not sure I understand what went down.
  • I have watched more anime this year than I have in the last decade. It feels really good and I have discovered that Lupin III is officially my jam. This year I have watched Kill La Kill, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, probably about a quarter of Blue Jacket Lupin, and I just finished the original Green jacket Lupin III series. I'm planning on slowly working through the second series(Red Jacket, I believe, the one that Pioneer was putting out before its demise) but it is so long, over 200 episodes.

Green Jacket Lupin is a lot of fun and there are callbacks to it in Fujiko Mine which are super interesting to see. It's also interesting because one Hayao Miyazaki starts directing the show 8 or 9 episodes in and you can really tell. The machinery gets way more detailed and Fujiko and other female characters start looking more and more like Clarisse from Cagliostro and Nausicaa. If nothing else, fire up Crunchyroll or Hulu and watch the last episode of Green Jacket. It's a great Lupin caper with a very smart, very determined Zenigata going all out to stop the theft.
  • Erased - what's up with mom's mouth? It's noticeably different from everyone else's.
  • Finished Space Patrol Luluco. Huge disappointment. Felt like I was watching a Studio Trigger/Gainax "Best Of" wankery fest in fast-forward. It wants to glorify stupid without getting into any depth of fun or meaning. Or even if that's supposed to be a clever way of being meta in obsessing over the pettiness of middle school love, it sure fails in that matter just with how it decides to move forward despite the idiocy. Waste of time. Only for hardcore Trigger fans who've watched all of everything.
  • edited July 2016
    One Punch Man: I wasn't really watching a lot of anime when it came out, but yes, the show is as good as everybody says. Very funny and the theme song is one of the best pump-up songs ever.

Shirobako: I rewatched it because I had fond memories of it and the series definitely holds up a year later. Just a great series with surprising depths. Definitely one of the best series in the last couple of years.

Bakuon!!: Watched this because Beej from LoadingReadyRun is a big fan. I knew it was a parody of K-On! and expected not a whole lot of it. It's fine. Not great and some stuff is definitely overdone, but it is funny. The best parts are whenever Jesus shows up. Still, nothing you need to watch unless you run out of other anime to watch, but at least it is watchable.

Shokugeki no Soma: Watched it because of the most recent episode of Anime World Order. The show is surprisingly good if you can look past some of the gratuitous female character designs and the food-gasms which is the standard reaction to the delicous cooking. I found at least the first one hilarious. Not much too add if you've listened to the aWo episode (which you should), other than that I love the first ending song "Spice". The worst part is the cliffhanger ending but a second season is already on the way (actually it starts tomorrow, apparently).

Sakamoto desu ga: Only watched the first episode but that at least held up to the expectations set by the random manga-pages you guys posted around the forums. Coolest cat on the block but I am wondering what they can do with the concept and if it doesn't go stale after a while.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Ah, Bukuon, one of the better examples in the "K-on, with everything BUT a light music club" genre.
  • Erased: one episode in, and this is all I can think of
  • Churba said:

Ah, Bukuon, one of the better examples in the "K-on, with everything BUT a light music club" genre.

Fucking SOLD. I did like the light music, though. Just to be clear.
  • ERASED - reverse Death Note X Madoka?
  • edited July 2016
    Watched the first episode of Bakuon when the season was starting and hated the main girl enough to never want to see another episode.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Jesus this is my fourth or fifth rewatching of Utena and I'm finding more stuff than ever before.
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - Finished the series this morning. I'm not gonna give any detailed spoilers, but there is one particular fan theory that I'm completely sold on. When you view the whole series in totality with this theory in mind, pretty much everything makes sense. Now that I think I really understand the show, I feel extremely satisfied with it, and I believe the hidden concept underneath it all was executed in a clean, tight manner.

Finish the series, try to figure it out, and once you think you've got it, go find a good thread on the fan theory I'm talking about (you'll know it when you find it), because there is a good amount of detail, symbolism, and allusion people have found that seems to confirm it beyond a doubt. This show belongs on a higher tier of art than it's face value suggests.
  • Sakamoto is "The Most Interesting Man in The World"
    Also, I bet his mom is Bayonetta.
  • I started watching "Orange". I am looking forward to this season Yokai show, and I am going to catch up with Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans.
  • Just finished Flying Witch. The show is beautifully animated and very relaxing to watch. There are a couple of WTF moments, but they are also good for a couple of laughs.

I really like these kinds of tranquil, rural slice-of-life shows but I can understand that not everybody wants that from their shows. I watched it basically in one sitting but I also think it could make a good palette cleanser or a show to watch in between since the individual episodes aren't really connected to each other.

If you like shows like Sketchbook ~Full Colors~ or Silver Spoon this is a show you'll like.

• Aggressive Retsuko is a perfect story about a deathmetal red panda and her daily office life. The episodes are usually under 3 mins long. You also get the impression that the writing team has experienced a lot of this.
  • The length definitely put it on AotS for me.
  • Binge-watched all of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (a.k.a. Your Lie in April) this weekend. It was excellent.

The anime is just pure, undiluted emotion. Love and hate, but most of all struggle with your own emotions and expressing them without breaking them or causing them to harm others. Particularly the last episode does so exquisitely in stunning animation. I unfortunately spoiled myself the ending but it still took a big piece out of me actually watching it.

The only issues I have with it is that it starts out as a rather cliche Manic Pixie Dream Girl story, though that is actually somewhat more rare in anime and it evolves beyond that in the second half, and that the animation quality can jump around a bit. This is mostly restricted to comedic scenes and could be a stylistic choice, but it's still a bit jarring but somewhat in keeping with noitamina series. However, when it really matters the animation is always absolutely beautiful.

Seriously, this is an A+ anime. Watch it.
  • chaosof99 said:

Binge-watched all of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (a.k.a. Your Lie in April) this weekend. It was excellent.

The anime is just pure, undiluted emotion. Love and hate, but most of all struggle with your own emotions and expressing them without breaking them or causing them to harm others. Particularly the last episode does so exquisitely in stunning animation. I unfortunately spoiled myself the ending but it still took a big piece out of me actually watching it.

The only issues I have with it is that it starts out as a rather cliche Manic Pixie Dream Girl story, though that is actually somewhat more rare in anime and it evolves beyond that in the second half, and that the animation quality can jump around a bit. This is mostly restricted to comedic scenes and could be a stylistic choice, but it's still a bit jarring but somewhat in keeping with noitamina series. However, when it really matters the animation is always absolutely beautiful.

Seriously, this is an A+ anime. Watch it.

I loved this anime, but a general warning to everyone. This anime will break you at least a couple of times before the end.
  • I really enjoyed Your Lie in April. I found the main character a bit irritating at times but I get the issues he's working through, While overall predictable it was really engaging and heart wrenching. It reminded me of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien in that way.

• Really like the intro. Very pretty anime, and cute.