This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• The immortal thief, the Fairy King and The Giant woman are all pretty good, once they get into their stories.
  • King Arthur makes a cameo too.
  • Merlin is pretty cool, and the sin of Pride is kind of awesome.
  • Cardcaptor Sakura continues to be the perfect unicorn chaser.
  • edited August 2016
    Someone on Giant Bomb did the first in what seems to be a series of reviews of Gundam animes. The one that seemed to be the most well received for this first post was War in the Pocket. As far as I can tell most of these Gundam series are nigh impossible to find in any legal fashion. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this plausible cause to pirate?
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Someone on Giant Bomb did the first in what seems to be a series of reviews of Gundam animes. The one that seemed to be the most well received for this first post was War in the Pocket. As far as I can tell most of these Gundam series are nigh impossible to find in any legal fashion. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this plausible cause to pirate?

Right Stuf has the rights to Gundam in the U.S. Whatever titles become available are up to them.
  • MATATAT said:

There is never any guilt in pirating anything that isn't trivially legally available.
  • Can anybody recommend me any good newish sci-fi/cyberpunk anime? I've been so busy lately that I've more or less disconnected from Anime.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2016
    How cyberpunk? How recent?

If you didn't watch Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex yet, just drop everything and watch it all in order as fast as possible.

If you already saw it...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Like, newer than say Ergo Proxy. Not gonna lie, Stand Alone Complex is touchstone of who I am as a person, I studied cybercrime because of it.
  • You've already ridden the tallest rollercoaster...

Umm.. Dennou Coil? It's more Augmented Reality speculative fiction than cyberpunk.
    Serial Experiments Lain if you never saw it?
    Appleseed/AD Police? Already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm at a loss.
  • Mardock Scramble.
  • Mardock Scramble.

Oh shit, that looks right up my alley. Thanks!
  • Technolyze?

Psycho-Pass?

Gasaraki?
  • Can anybody recommend me any good newish sci-fi/cyberpunk anime? I've been so busy lately that I've more or less disconnected from Anime.

I haven't watched it, but I do hear a lot of real good things about Psycho-pass.

• I'm watching Uta-Pri and Love Live Sunshine for my show, but I finally got around to watching One Punch Man. I need to binge it, I see why it people like it.
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Much to nobody's surprise, the new Makoto Shinkai movie looks really good and is doing really well in the Japanese box office.
  • Erased is really good and I can't stop watching.
  • edited September 2016
    A little surprised Rym has not given Psycho Pass a shot! Definitely a worthy thematic successor to Stand Alone Complex, with a greater focus on emotive storytelling. The main character Akane I personally find more enjoyable and engaging (as a human character) than the Major.

The opening of the second season has one of the greatest visual flairs in recent memory

Post edited by lifecircle on
  • Psycho Pass is worth watching at least for the first season, haven't seen the second season yet.
  • I liked the first half a lot, but the second half lost me. The second season is crap.
  • It had a lot of good ideas but didnt know what to do with them.
  • edited September 2016
    From what I've heard about Psycho-Pass, most of what's good about it can be attributed to Gen Urobuchi (a.k.a.: the guy what wrote Madoka), who wrote the first season... but not the second. Subsequently, the second season from what I can tell tends to be disliked by fans because it lost that powerhouse writing talent.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn said:

From what I've heard about Psycho-Pass, most of what's good about it can be attributed to Gen Urobuchi (a.k.a.: the guy what wrote Madoka), who wrote the first season... but not the second. Subsequently, the second season from what I can tell tends to be disliked by fans because it lost that powerhouse writing talent.

Literaly the same thing that happened with Eureka Seven and Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean. The cost cutting is real.
  • I was just settling in to watch AO, having loved the original Eureka Seven, (well sans the ending, which to me, made no sense, but I get the feeling that's more my failing than the show) From what tiny amount I've looked into what the fans seem to think of AO it's basically all negative. I'll know more once I actually watch it.
  • Naoza said:

I was just settling in to watch AO, having loved the original Eureka Seven, (well sans the ending, which to me, made no sense, but I get the feeling that's more my failing than the show) From what tiny amount I've looked into what the fans seem to think of AO it's basically all negative. I'll know more once I actually watch it.

The original writer left partway through the series' production, let's just say you'll know exactly when that happens storywise. OTL
  • Eryn said:

I watched both the 1st and 2nd season in a sitting, and so found the weaker writing more bearable in the second season, really because I had become a huge fan of the setting that season 1 did a great job setting up. In retrospect, the 1st season is what most people should indeed start and end with, the conclusion feels strong enough that most would have assumed that was it.
  • Mob Psycho did not immediately click with me, but episodes 11 and 12 were great.

Shokugeki no Soma I put down after episode one as echi randomness food battle manga, but I'm actually really impressed with the end of the second arc at being both shounin and kinda clever with the genre.

I enjoyed Re: Zero, but that's to be expected. I enjoy the suffering across all kinds of stuff. I'm one of those nerds that wished they included the plot twist at the end that they avoided.
  • Sweetness & Lightning one of the better shows this season just finished. Didn't see many negatives to this show for what it was trying to do. Wouldn't mind a second season if they were to release it.