This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Each of those shows stands up to modern competition and stands alone irrespective of nostalgia.
    Says captain nostalgia himself. :P

Actually those are great shows (I'm not sure about GitS, I had no idea what was going on at the end, but that may have been the fansubs). But you need to differentiate between what was great and what you remember being great. Like Escaflowne for example. Good show, yeah. Great show, ehhhh. Watching it today, the second half just feels contrived. Far too much deus ex machina action going on.
  • edited February 2010
    Actually those are great shows (I'm not sure about GitS, I had no idea what was going on at the end, but that may have been the fansubs). But you need to differentiate between what was great and what you remember being great. Like Escaflowne for example. Good show, yeah. Great show, ehhhh. Watching it today, the second half just feels contrived. Far too much deus ex machina action going on.
    I can maybe buy that argument with Escaflowne, but you cannot level that same argument at Cowboy Bebop or Eva. Trigun is questionable (I came around on that point) but Bebop and Eva are unquestionable.

Bebop was the perfect marriage of style and substance, while Eva demonstrated the potent storytelling possible in the medium.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I can maybe buy that argument with Escaflowne, but you cannot level that same argument at Cowboy Bebop or Eva. Trigun is questionable (I came around on that point) but Bebop and Eva are unquestionable.
    Trigun is great, Eva is highly questionable IMO.
  • Eva is highly questionable IMO.
    I respectfully disagree. Eva was as important to anime as The Matrix and possibly even Star Wars were to American cinema. Eva broke new ground and did it well.
  • I respectfully disagree. Eva was as important to anime as The Matrix and possibly even Star Wars were to American cinema. Eva broke new ground and did it well.
    I respectfully disagree.
  • Eva is highly questionable IMO.
    I disrespectfully disagree. To whit, fuck you fucktard.
  • Sod off you pillock.
  • Nobody's Boy Remi
    I liked that show when I saw it as a child. I never did finish reading the book (simply forgot about it). I should get around to finishing both.
    I really have a hard time watching shows that were released recently (meaning 15 years old or less), but I have no problem watching obscure shows, movies, or OAVs older than I am.
    You're just shooting yourself in the dick, as usual. Please don't go complaining on the forums again when you realize it's stupid.
  • I finally watched the first three episodes of Gurren Lagann last night. It was pretty fun, what with the stupidly dramatic animation (everything gets longer when something dramatic happens!) and face-shaped mechas that run on manly spirit. The boob jokes were a tad disconcerting, but thankfully they seem to have been dropped completely after the first episode. Hopefully the show gets as awesome as everyone says it is later on.
  • edited February 2010
    Eva is highly questionable IMO.
    I respectfully disagree. Eva was as important to anime as The Matrix and possibly even Star Wars were to American cinema. Eva broke new ground and did it well.
    I enjoy Eva immensely, but there's something to be said for how batshit insane it goes. However, I'm still in line with your views, mostly.

As far as new shows go, there's some excellent stuff from the last 15 years outside of those transcendent shows like Bebop, GitS, and Eva. To rattle off a few: Black Lagoon, TTGL, Code Geass (yes, I know there will be disagreement), Paranoia Agent, Planetes, Ponyo. I'm deadly behind on all my anime (to the point where even the best of my experiences is limited to maybe 12 episodes of a 24 episode work; I'm trying to finish up Bebop, Eva, Black Lagoon, and Geass before finding more stuff), but even I know it's a stretch to say that all the best anime stopped in '95.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You all fail to see that as any art form is relative to each, even harem anime are good anime they fulfill a specific purpose, now the thing is if those purposes are worth fulfilling, but that's another topic. A painting is not better that another one if it's more popular than another one, yes, a cubist painting would fail at a realism contest, but it may excel on its own. I find it weird that film buffs in general consider most main stream and cheesy movies bad and that they shouldn't be made in the first place, but someone has to make the good movies look good in comparison. Even ugly people have the right to be loved, as they say, same goes for all art forms.
  • As far as new shows go, there's some excellent stuff from the last 15 years outside of those transcendent shows like Bebop, GitS, and Eva. To rattle off a few: Black Lagoon, TTGL, Code Geass (yes, I know there will be disagreement), Paranoia Agent, Planetes, Ponyo.
    I would also include perhaps the most popular show of the last decade: Full Metal Alchemist.
  • I would also include perhaps the most popular show of the last decade: Full Metal Alchemist.
    I was debating it, but personally I would agree. FMA is excellent, and Brotherhood is looking hot as well.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    I intend to get to those expediently. Actually I've learned something about myself that I find is kinda odd. I really have a hard time watching shows that were released recently (meaning 15 years old or less), but I have no problem watching obscure shows, movies, or OAVs older than I am. Does anyone understand where I'm coming from?
    I understand that you are being pretentious for the sake of being pretentious, yes.
    Popular, new things can also be good, you realize. I like both. You are turning into one of those kids who talks at a party about some Brazilian movie from 1959 of which only one film reel and five beta tapes exist and how it is their favorite movie ever and you can never see it. You are not quite at that point, and It is fine to like older anime ( I like older anime series as well), but having this bias that nothing good has come since the 70's? Whatever, dude. Saying stuff like that doesn't make you cooler, it makes you seem a little ignorant of the strengths of some of the newer animated series.
    Very well, I see the flaw in what I said previously and I shall rephrase what I said so that position can be more clearly understood. I have noticed that I seem to be more drawn to and prefer anime that have more age to it, yet I am not adverse to watching shows that have come out more recently.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I would also include perhaps the most popular show of the last decade: Full Metal Alchemist.
    Meh. It was about as popular as Fushigi Yugi was in its day. It was a flash in the pan that won't be remembered except by the fans who were really into anime right around when it was popular. I am confident that it will not create an enduring legacy: no one's going to be talking about it fifteen or twenty years from now.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm watching Saint Seiya again from the start, first time in Japanese with subs. I think I liked the Spanish dub better when it comes to some of the shouting of the techniques. So instead of just "Pegasasu ryūseiken" he said something like "Help me fight for justice! GIVE ME YOUR STRENGTH PEGASUS!", but they only added the extra words a few times, just enough times so you knew that every time they added the extra words, shit was about to get real.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I'm watching GiTS:SAC on netflix right now. It's freakin' great. On a side note, My husband loves the music. On a side side note, I just watched Shutter Island and I believe that the screenwriter from that movie will also do a great job with the upcoming GiTS movie.

After that I'm going to watch Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte) S1 and S2 that I just recently bought on DVD.
  • I'm watching GiTS:SAC on netflix right now. It's freakin' great.
    Batou is such the man! I love him and his dopey smile.

Warning: expect to cry.
  • Batou is such the man! I love him and his dopey smile.
  • @chaosof99

This is in fact the exact scene I was imagining. It epitomizes the Batou smile.
  • I'm finishing up Kare Kano (I'm surprised more people don't talk about this nowadays) and starting Detroit Metal City (I can't believe I waited so long).
  • starting Detroit Metal City (I can't believe I waited so long).
    Just started! What is wrong with you?! I'm amazed that you have not already been raped by Krauzer for not watching sooner.
  • Watching Gokinjo Monogatari and Kimi ni Todoke. I'm such a girl as of late when it comes to anime. Except for SDF Macross.
    I'm finishing up Kare Kano (I'm surprised more people don't talk about this nowadays)
    With what happened to it through the series, I see why. I remember it being the hot thing in 02-03 or so.
  • starting Detroit Metal City (I can't believe I waited so long).
    Just started! What is wrong with you?! I'm amazed that you have not already been raped by Krauzer for not watching sooner.
    He raped my dreams, and therefore I am watching it right now. :(
  • After that I'm going to watch Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte) S1 and S2 that I just recently bought on DVD.
    Gaysball strikes again! (Oh my God, was I obsessed with that show 2 years ago.)
  • I'm finishing up Kare Kano (I'm surprised more people don't talk about this nowadays)
    With what happened to it through the series, I see why. I remember it being the hot thing in 02-03 or so.
    Yeah, it's hard for people to recommend shows that never got finished.
  • I'm finishing up Kare Kano (I'm surprised more people don't talk about this nowadays)
    The sad part is that Anno's interpretation was much better than the original manga. Much in the same way that Ikuhara's Utena was much better than Saito's. The Kare Kano manga creator should have just STFU.
  • Yeah, it's hard for people to recommend shows that never got finished.
    Like anime adaptation of Hellsing. So good, but it just stops at episode 13. :(
  • edited February 2010
    Watching it today, the second half just feels contrived. Far too much deus ex machina action going on.
    Like anime adaptation of Hellsing. So good, but it just stops at episode 13. :(
    What? How can you hold these two opinions...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    The sad part is that Anno's interpretation was much better than the original manga. Much in the same way that Ikuhara's Utena was much better than Saito's. The Kare Kano manga creator should have just STFU.
    QFT.