This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• That was when I was a freshman in college! That's really old!
    But it's still this decade? Wait, what decade does 2010 count as?
  • Haruhi was a funny once for me. Scrapped Princess was ok. Hn, seiyuu femmes are still voicing males that try to be alluring or amiable. That still bugs me for some reason. I really wonder why I can't get over Goku having a female seiyuu. Ah well, there goes Kure-Nai.

From that list and my wiki time I'm looking at Durara (good manga btw), Baccano (alchemy? Do want). Hm? Michiko has animation that makes me think of Champloo. Any similarities?
  • edited February 2010
    Champloo
    It's the same director and many of the same production staff, I believe.
    Hn, seiyuu femmes are still voicing males that try to be alluring or amiable. That still bugs me for some reason. I really wonder why I can't get over Goku having a female seiyuu. Ah well, there goes Kure-Nai.
    You hated Romi Pak as Ed, too? I think some women do really good adolescent male voices. I like that gender-bending aspect of voice acting, and find a lot of the female seiyuu as male characters attractive in their roles.
    Durara (good manga btw)
    It's based on a novel series, like Baccano. The manga is also an adaptation.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's the same director and many of the same production staff, I believe.
    Hm, similar sensibilities in the humor and layout? i.e. western influenced themes in music and style? I assumed such from the open road image I saw of the pair. But a bit more info from a fan would be nice.
    You hated Romi Pak as Ed, too? I think some women do really good adolescent male voices. I like that gender-bending aspect of voice acting, and find a lot of the female seiyuu as male characters attractive in their roles.
    I always viewed Ed as a girl. Shrug, or a being so removed from the norm that gender roles do not apply to them. I dunno. I find the lack of able or willing males to do good adolescent voices for boys is more a choice of the creators than the fans. I dunno, it's just not fair. I want some guys voicing ladies then. It's not gender-bending (I may be ranting soon), it's the industry having a preference for lighter, smoother voices and males not being taught to use that range in their voice. Personally, I'd love an HS series where the male lead's voice had that inconvenient crack or adolescence. Maybe I'm just jealous. But it totally colors my view.
    It's based on a novel series, like Baccano. The manga is also an adaptation.
    Did not know this.
  • Baccano (alchemy? Do want).
    You just spoiled the entire show for yourself. And everyone who hasn't watched the show yet but read your post. Good job.
    Ah well, there goes Kure-Nai.
    Because the male lead voice actor is female? Trust me, you wouldn't have noticed anything if you hadn't ruined stuff for yourself by looking deep and hard at suggestions.

Why ask suggestions for things to watch if all you're going to do is nitpick before giving the shows a chance? They're being suggested to you for a reason, because people think they're good and that you will like them. If you don't want to watch anime, don't ask for any suggestions. If you DO go and ask for suggestions, actually go and TRY them.

Let's make it easier for you. Go watch everything on the following list. Don't go dicking about on Wikipedia or ANN or anywhere else Google brings you, just download the first episode, watch it, then decide if you want to watch more of it or go to the next one. Good fucking luck.
    Why is the only Gundam show listed Turn a Gundam?
  • You just spoiled the entire show for yourself. And everyone who hasn't watched the show yet but read your post. Good job.
    Not really.
    Because the male lead voice actor is female?
    That's a lame reason not to watch a good show. And I had no idea that was a girl's voice until just now, whatever.
  • edited February 2010
    It's the same director and many of the same production staff, I believe.
    Hm, similar sensibilities in the humor and layout? i.e. western influenced themes in music and style? I assumed such from the open road image I saw of the pair. But a bit more info from a fan would be nice.

MIchiko and Hatchin follows the same plot course as Bebop and Champloo did. There is main plot in the begining which is then spread out throughout the series. Then there is your one shot stories of varying themes with a couple one shot secondary character episodes. The music is braizllian pop with some hip hop here and there. The series is worth a watch.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • That's a lame reason not to watch a good show. And I had no idea that was a girl's voice until just now, whatever.
    It is indeed a female voice actor, it is indeed a lame reason. Hence why I question this reason of his.
    Not really.
    Yes he did.
    Why is the only Gundam show listed Turn a Gundam?
    Because you're not looking hard enough (2 right 1 down). You'd have to ask the people who created it. The right two columns were added later, same for the bottom 2/3 rows.
  • edited February 2010
    I do not in any way endorse the list in that image. Sure, there are some good shows in there, and most are at least average, but there are some bad ones. Also, it doesn't mention any movies at all, and it doesn't meition any TV shows from before the '90s.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I do not in any way endorse the list in that image. Sure, there are some good shows in there, and most are at least average, but there are some bad ones. Also, it doesn't mention any movies at all, and it doesn't meition any TV shows from before the '90s.
    Yes yes, we all know you can only be bothered to watch the bestest animes ever.
  • I do not in any way endorse the list in that image. Sure, there are some good shows in there, and most are at least average, but there are some bad ones. Also, it doesn't mention any movies at all, and it doesn't meition any TV shows from before the '90s.
    Well, if you're going to make a list like that, then you should probably only include the bestest animes ever.
    Well duh, there is no Hokuto no ken there.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru.
  • I do not in any way endorse the list in that image
    You weren't asked to.
    it doesn't meition any TV shows from before the '90s. (sic)
    The guy asked for new shows, ergo I pulled out a list of new shows. If he asked for suggestions regardless of new or old then I would've pulled up a different list.
    Also, it doesn't mention any movies at all
    It indeed does not mention any movies, just TV shows and OVAs. Again, I could've pulled up another list but he didn't ask for older stuff so I put up this.
    Sure, there are some good shows in there, and most are at least average, but there are some bad ones.
    Your opinion > everybody else's opinion. Just like your opinion makes shows good or bad.
  • Omae wa mo shindeiru.
    Don't be silly!

*head explodes*
  • JayJay
    edited April 2010
    Just watched Code Geass after several people independently raved how good it was (even reviewers). Not just saying it was good, but up there with like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Escaflowne etc... After watching the show, I can say without question that every person who recommended this show under such high praise are tools to never be trusted. You can say the show is ok, perhaps even above average by definition since so much bad Anime is made, but one of the greats? The incredibly bad high school drama alone should stop anyone from taking this show seriously as a contender.

Ignoring that 1/4 of the show seems to be solely dedicated to exposing the female cast. (The sole reason for the Guren's cockpit design, as far as I can tell, is to have Kallen bent over as much as possible. Can't stop the titties/vague up skirt shots during robot fights can we? ) or endorsing pedophilia in a positive light. Though you can say the show is taking place in semi-weird colonial future and the marriage is political both times, but I don't buy it. The show reeks of purposeful placement of sexy female character types to sell product to as wide a range of men as possible. Code Geass is in this weird place where it tries to bring Death Note, political Gundam series, and high school drama together. What results is the show does nothing well and is at best mediocre in all accounts. For fairness sake. I stopped watching before the last 5 episodes. But I see no feasible way the last 5 episodes in season 2 could make up for what I saw already.

Code Geass is useful though. I can now use it as a litmus test to see someones true colors. Many people I know like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Escaflowne etc.. but I always question if they actually appreciated the show beyond the big explosions and nice animation. Perhaps they just say these shows are in their top 10 because that's the standard. If I ever hear a person mention Code Geass in their top 10 I will immediately know their opinion on shows is suspect. The only way I can see anyone taking this show seriously is if they have no frame of reference. If they had an extremely limited exposure to Anime.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • This is my exact opinion on Code Geass, glad to see that I'm not the only one of this opinion. Anyway, all this talk about Ghost In the Shell got me to stream it from netflix. I forgot just how good a show it was.
  • I'm probably going to watch a hell of alot of Gundam over the next few months seems as it's being uploaded legally. Here's a link to when and when it's being shown.

• Baccano
    I gotta finish that. Maybe when I finish Macross and not watch Star Trek.
  • From what I gather some people like Code Geass because it's just so ridiculous. It's supposed to be entertainment, and if it entertains, then it can be great from a subjective stand point. It might be smarter to ask them why they put Code Geass in their top 10.
  • edited February 2010
    Just finished the new Gundam Unicorn OVA and wow. I haven't been this excited about a Gundam series in awhile. Slated for 6 OVAs and takes place in the universal century time line.

Post edited by Alan on
  • From what I gather some people like Code Geass because it's just so ridiculous. It's supposed to be entertainment, and if it entertains, then it can be great from a subjective stand point. It might be smarter to ask them why they put Code Geass in their top 10.
    liking it cause it's ridiculous makes sense. as my brother put it, it's got a robot in a robot in a robot in a robot in a robot, and the bad guy is a bad doodle. it made me intrigued.
  • Huh? Isn't that Gurren Lagann?
    Yeah, my friends like Code Geass, that's not Code Geass. Definitely Gurren Lagann he was describing there.
    Yea, your right. I'm fuckin retarded. wow, super brain fart. but both are super rediculous and have robots. that's probably where I got fucked up.
  • Gurren for sure. Geass can't match the awesome.

• Macross 7. Holy Crap.
    LISTEN TO MY SONG!!!
  • Macross 7. Holy Crap.
    LISTEN TO MY SONG!!!
    Listen to my song, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
  • I watched every Durarara!! episode on CrunchyRoll. Here is my guess.

Mikado Ryūgamine, the main character, started The Dollars.

Just a guess.