This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Conundrum

edited April 2007 in Technology
I have a new computer. Everything is working fine, EXCEPT that I can't get the machine to boot from the SATA DVD drive.
I even sent the drive back and used a friends old IDE CD drive to install windows. It came back with the same problem.

No matter what I set in the BIOS, the machine isn't even looking at the DVD drive before booting from the HD. No lights, no spin, no error message, it just starts booting windows, even though CD is set first in BIOS. I even tried setting the CD as the only boot device, and it still booted windows from the HD. Reflashing the BIOS did no good, either.

Once windows loads, everything works fine.

The drive is a LITE-ON DVD-RW, the HD are seagates (only one is formatted. I was going to make the second drive LINUX but since I can't boot from the CD...), the motherboard is EPOC with an AMD Athalon 64X2 chip and 2 GB ram.

The machine only has the one optical drive, no floppy either, so I need to make this work. Anybody know what is going on?

PS anybody know a good free program for playing with partitions (formatting, changing size (shrink and grow) etc.)? I just noticed that the drive isn't registering in windows, so I couldn't use it to format the drive in NTFS even if I wanted to.

Comments

• If you have an SATA DVD Drive, then setting CD as the first boot device will not work. You have to set SATA as the first boot device. CD probably only refers to an IDE CD/DVD drive.
  • edited April 2007
    The boot order options are: Removable, HD, CD, Legacy LAN, and disabled. There is no "SATA" option.

Also, I know the BIOS considers it a CD drive since it is listed in the menu for CD Drive priority.

And yes, I tried "removable" as well, just in case.
    Post edited by Void Dragon on
  • Have you tried updating your BIOS?
  • It is up to date. I'm not going to start asking people before making sure everything is up to date.
    Besides, I shouldn't need to update my BIOS to install my operating system!

I should probably throw in that my HD are also SATA. Weird.
  • It seems to me like your motherboard is just not capable of booting from an SATA drive that is not a hard disk. That kind of sucks. This is something to keep in mind when building a new machine. If you get an SATA CD drive, make sure the motherboard is capable of booting from it. For your particular problem, I suggest you get an SATA->IDE adapter. That should allow you to connect the drive via IDE when you need to boot from it. I know it sucks, but the alternative might just be to get a new motherboard. If you tell me the make and model of the motherboard, I can do some Google research.
  • I have determined what the problem was!!!

It's in the legacy programming of BIOS. BIOS checks ports sequentially. Check IDE 1, master, slave, check IDE 2 master, slave. When they added SATA, they didn't change the method. So now it's check IDE 1, check IDE 2, Check SATA 1, Check SATA 2....

They didn't take into account free ordering, though. SATA doesn't have to be loaded sequentially to work like IDE (nothing in IDE 1 master but something in IDE 2 or IDE 1 Slave causes IDE to fail horribly, although you can have both IDE 1 and 2 with only masters), it isn't part of the standard. So you can load SATA 1, 2, and 6 as I did (with the plan of putting more HD in the middle later) and it should work fine. It did work fine once windows loaded, thanks to newer detection protocols. But BIOS stops looking when it encounters an empty port in sequence, so it saw the HD in 1 and 2 and then saw 3 was empty. Moving the CD to port 3 fixed the whole problem.
  • Really good BIOSes detect which drives are connected and allow you to configure the boot order exactly as you want.
  • However, props to Void Dragon. I'm guessing some sort of manual or documentation was read to determine what was stated above; if not, an awesome psychic power was used, which is even better. Anyway, kudos to you for figuring it out and learning a bit in the process. Really good BIOSes are great, but understanding your computer more is always best.