This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2,000 Japanese Women Were Conned Into Buying Sheep They Thought Were Poodles.

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
This article is a riot.

Comments

• Well, they are kind of cute :P
  • Pfft. Lamb poodles pwn teh real ones.
  • Ah what would we do without the Japanese to amuse us.
  • These were obviously the rare, cloven-hoofed bleating poodles we're all familiar with.
  • I've got wood for sheep!
    That is a great line.

But aren't sheep more expensive then a dog?
  • I doubt a sheep costs more than a healthy dog, especially a poodle.

I have no idea what sheep cost, but consider this: pigs, chickens, and cows are so cheap that you can raise them, feed them for their entire life, slaughter them, butcher them, transport the meat, and keep it cool sitting on the shelf for a few days before someone finally buys it for a few bucks. The small fraction of total revenue of meat sales that makes it back to the farmer manages to pay for the animal.

These animals were sold for 630 pounds sterling. If that's cheaper than a normal lamb, well...darn, those legs of lamb are a good deal!
  • edited April 2007
    A little googling suggests a (very approximate) price for sheep as $100+ for a 100-lb ewe. I don't know what rams cost, but I will assume they are cheaper, as the number of ewes in a herd is much more of a limiting factor on the number of lambs a heard can produce.

I suspect that buying, raising, and slaughtering a single animal is not very efficient use of money, and may not be profitable at all. The real advantage would come when you can breed them over multiple years, getting more animals for "free" - the cost of food, essentially, without paying the up-front price for each animal. And sheep are probably going to be cheaper to raise than a dog of equal size, as they live off grazing or hay, which are both nearly as cheap as dirt.

So, yeah, for someone already in the business, selling sheep as poodles rather than mutton is probably pretty profitable.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • Apparently, this story is a fake =(
  • Hello, 911 My Poddle is eating my coach...hmmm why is that? Could it be because he's a LAMB!
    I didn't know you were from New Zealand?
  • Why is it that every time I hear sheep being refered to as a singular (i.e. "a sheep") I think to myself : Self, sheep is not the singular form of the plural word sheep...

And then I spend about 3 minutes trying to remember the singular form of the word.

The best I ever come up with is "shoop."

Goose/geese singular/plural relations I guess. I DO think we need a better word for just one of those damn things.
  • This is very possibly the most hilarious thing on the internet.