This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym and Scott at Cedar Point Day?

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
I've been thinking about suggesting this for a while. I know Jason is a NE Ohio resident and there may be more folks in the forum who are in the area. Rym has spoken fondly about Cedar Point and I think he wouldn't mind going back at some point. I have had similar thoughts despite not having been there in quite a while. So I thought I'd ask if there was any interest here in a Cedar Point Geeknights meet up this summer?

Comments

• I hate Cedar Point with the fire of a thousand suns... but I'd still come see Scrym.
  • I hate Cedar Point with the fire of a thousand suns... but I'd still come see Scrym.
    You, sir, can die from the venom of a thousand rattle snakes.
  • See, it's just a matter of not liking roller coasters -- and there's nothing else there. I can stomach the mine cars, the Iron Dragon, the Gemini, maybe the Disaster Transport (on a good day). But damn those things make me sick. Like, seriously, violently ill. Bumper cars FTW, I say.
  • See, it's just a matter of not liking roller coasters -- and there's nothing else there. I can stomach the mine cars, the Iron Dragon, the Gemini, maybe the Disaster Transport (on a good day). But damn those things make me sick. Like, seriously, violently ill. Bumper cars FTW, I say.
    Wuss.
  • Wuss.
    Son, I've looked into the pit of hell and not blinked. But there is no fucking way you're getting me on the Raptor, Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, or any such shit. I will go ape shit bananas on you if you try. Roller coasters flip the little panic switch in the deep, dark well of my mind. It's what Orwell would have put in my own personal Room 101.
  • You have never been on Millennium Farce? Like shit you have looked into the pit of hell. I bet you haven't even looked into purgatory (that is if the Catholic church says it exists anymore or not).
  • Wuss.
    Son, I've looked into the pit of hell and not blinked. But there is no fucking way you're getting me on the Raptor, Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, or any such shit. I will go ape shit bananas on you if you try. Roller coasters flip the little panic switch in the deep, dark well of my mind. It's what Orwell would have put in my own personal Room 101.
    Wuss.
  • Pfft. I'd take it. I love roller coasters... ^u^

If I can take Superman without flinching, then I'd do it. I've never been to Cedar Point, but I'm sure Hai Di and I would love to go. She's not a big roller coaster fan though...
  • Superman
    Millennium Force

Millennium Force is 102 feet taller. The drop is 79 feet longer. The top speed is 16 miles per hour faster.

If you can ride Superman without flinching, you can probably ride the Millennium Force. Just don't underestimate how much crazier it is.
  • By the way rcdb.com is an old, awesome, and useful website.
  • Wuss.
    Says the man whose throat is hurt by fizzy drinks.
  • Dude, Scott, sorry man, but BURN!!!
  • Wuss.
    Says the man whose throat is hurt by fizzy drinks.
    I'm not afraid of them though. I'll tell you what. I'll drink one fizzy drink for every coaster you ride.
  • edited April 2007
    Roller coasters flip the little panic switch in the deep, dark well of my mind. It's what Orwell would have put in my own personal Room 101.
    My wife Carole likes roller coasters a lot, but she doesn't like to fly and she says she would never skydive. I don't like roller coasters, but I love to fly and I love skydiving.

I'm not scared of roller coasters, but I don't like them. I don't like being jerked around with an eye towards the intentional inducement of motion sickness. In fact, I dislike most of those motion sickness inducing rides. I just don't like being sick.

Also, I don't like hearing all the other people screaming and such. I would be much more likely to ride those things if there was no screaming. I don't like screaming.

Finally, those things usually don't look very safe. I'm sure you can quote me all sorts of safety statistics, but they look like death traps to me.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Scott, up the ante... Make it a ginger ale!!! Super fizzy, and it burns even after its gone flat, if its cold.
  • Superman
    Millennium Force

Millennium Force is 102 feet taller. The drop is 79 feet longer. The top speed is 16 miles per hour faster.

If you can ride Superman without flinching, you can probably ride the Millennium Force. Just don't underestimate how much crazier it is.
    Eh, I'll probably get really nervous going up... but as long as someone tells me to shut up and enjoy it, I'll have fun. It's going up to the drop that really gets to me. ^.^' I like going down big drops, but I don't like the anticipation of doing it.
  • I still haven't been on Top Thrill Dragster which exceeds 400' and 120 mph.
  • I'm not afraid of them though. I'll tell you what. I'll drink one fizzy drink for every coaster you ride.
    What is the point? I will derive no enjoyment from it whatsoever. I never do. Every time I go to that accursed park, I end up getting sick and promising to never again step foot there.

See, here is a call-back to why I don't understand the WoW zealots. If I say I don't care enough about WoW to pay for it, why continue trying to convince me? You have nothing to gain. Similarly, if I hate roller coasters, what is convincing me to ride one again going to gain? (Other than the enjoyment of seeing me puke off the top of a 300-foot-tall death-trap.)

As an interesting side note, I was clicking around looking at roller coaster facts when I stumbled on this site. It gets snippy because I'm running Adblock. I've never seen a site accuse me of stealing by refusing to look at ads.
    Just go to Otakon. You get to see them AND you don't have to ride roller coasters.
  • You brought up WoW? In this thread? Um...wow.

Scott's right, in that a person afraid of roller coasters should probably ride them. However, you're right, in that, if they make you ill, there's really no reason to do it. You can conquer fear, but you can't conquer your body's reaction to that kind of motion. At least, not without some extensive training.

If you're not actually scared of them, let me be the first to say, sorry, man, that sucks.

If you are scared, let me be the second to say: wuss.

BTW, roller coasters may cause you physical pain invariably, but the inability to have a positive experience in (any) video game can be caused only by blind stubbornness, and is therefore ignorant and pointless.