This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070503 - Meta GeekBack/Listener's Choice

RymRym
edited May 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, we take one of your suggestions and respond to an email. In the news, Barack is the man, and Barack is being protected by the man.

Scott's Thing - Muhammad Ali
Rym's Thing - Joe Louis (The Fist)

Comments

• Doesn't the DNC make money off of the debates by selling access?
  • edited May 2007
    Scott got pwned!

Rym: "What does Barack stand for on X? What does Barack stand for on Y? What does Barack stand for on Z?"
    Scott: "...."

Rym gets +5 points!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Wow, that Ali clip was something else! My favourite part was before he started the onslaught and he was moving his hands up and down. I can just imagine him being like "Where am I going Brian? Am I going high? Am I going low? Where am I going?!" lol! That's what opened him up, London just wasn't quick enough to know where to block.
  • Wow, that Ali clip was something else! My favourite part was before he started the onslaught and he was moving his hands up and down. I can just imagine him being like "Where am I going Brian? Am I going high? Am I going low? Where am I going?!" lol! That's what opened him up, London just wasn't quick enough to know where to block.
    What I like most about it is how he kept the other guy on the defensive during the entire dance. If he had tried to hit Ali while he was faking him out, he could have nailed him. This is the kind of thing that shows you how boxing a battle of wits in addition to physical prowess.
  • edited May 2007
    When you spoke of doing something "new" with audio, I was reminded of Ken Nordine. He had this show on NPR Theater in the early 80s called Word Jazz. It wasn't exactly new. He had done an album much earlier, but to this day, it's some of the coolest audio I've ever heard. Here's a sample. Here's another one. There are also some YouTube videos, like Fibonacci Numbers. Here's his website, where he has a podcast.

He was on this great album of Edgar Allan Poe readings, called Closed on Account of Rabies. The following link allows you to listen to the track where Christoper Walken reads "The Raven". It's a GREAT track.

In the 80s, when there was no internets, I actually tracked down a phone number for his record company, Snail Records. I called, and he answered. I ordered a couple of albums.

You really should listen to a couple of the samples from the Amazon site. "Faces in the Jazzamatazz" is probably my favorite thing he ever did.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wow I would love to hear Ken Nordine do some anime voice acting, I know a few roles he would fit the character perfectly.
  • edited May 2007
    Here's another one. And another one.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I agree with Scott and the whole "transcending" awesomeness thing. When you see something done that well, even if you know very little about the actual doing of it, you are going to know that it is awesome. Take this video as an example. Watch for a few minutes. Even if the only thing you know about sailing is that the boats are powered by the wind, you will know that what the guys in this video are doing is awesome.
  • So I finally am listening to this episode in my car and I hear Scott talking about his Mazda. I try to picture what the latest Mazda 3 looks like and I realize that there is one right in front of me. Weird.
  • This is more a comment on the GeekBack type episode.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it answered a lot of questions I had been thinking about. I will really miss Geek Nights if it goes away. It makes my 25 mile one way commute a great deal more tolerable. If it does, I will mourn our loss, but be thankful for the good times and smiles it has provided.
  • The life style approach you guys have about making money to do what you want is more or less what I had in mind for myself but halfway through uni I'm starting to wonder if this really is what I want to work with.
    I was always taught to do well in school but now towards the end of my schooling days I'm wondering what it all was for...
    You guys always seem so sure of yourselves... Ever panicked before an exam? Ever felt lost in life?

Haha sorry for the emo-ness, my exams are only weeks away and I'm getting a bit nervewrecked...

Oh, and I'd totally go on a date with Scott if I was near New York. XDDD
  • RymRym
    edited May 2007
    halfway through uni I'm starting to wonder if this really is what I want to work with.
    I'd decided IT wasn't what I wanted to be doing right about the time I graduated.
    You guys always seem so sure of yourselves... Ever panicked before an exam? Ever felt lost in life?
    Don't panic. ^_~ You learn far more from dealing with the pressures of the exams and juggling the preparation for them than you ever would have from the course material itself in most cases.

In elementary school, I knew that middle school was next. In middle school, I knew that high school was next. In high school, I knew that college was next. In college, I realized that I didn't know what came next.

What I did know, however, was that I wouldn't be happy going with what's expected to be next. College > Career > Marriage > Kids > Retirement > Death isn't my bag. If I weren't podcasting (or engaging in some other similar activity), I'd likely be lost and unfulfilled. My goals in life are actually fairly simple: to surround myself with good friends and good times, and to forever move forward and upward. Any time I'm not advancing one of these goals, I step back and ask myself what I'm doing. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What I did know, however, was that I wouldn't be happy going with what's expected to be next. College > Career > Marriage > Kids > Retirement > Death isn't my bag. If I weren't podcasting (or engaging in some other similar activity), I'd likely be lost and unfulfilled. My goals in life are actually fairly simple: to surround myself with good friends and good times, and to forever move forward and upward. Any time I'm not advancing one of these goals, I step back and ask myself what I'm doing. ^_~
    It was always so simple when you knew what lay ahead but at the end of the paved education road I'm starting to look around and I'm not sure I like where this is heading either. I have this crazy urge to do something totally unrelated to my current path, something I actually feel passionate about, but breaking away is very hard when you've come this far.
    Maybe having a steady income and settling down somewhere will make me able to do what I want to do but it seems so far away and I'm getting more and more indifferent about my studies by the day. Haha I see how I must appear... young and impatient! XDD

Lol thanks for the advice, it's nice to talk to someone who's gone through it all before! ^__^
  • I dreamt last night that you guys were going to read a forum post I'd made that was exceptionally interesting until you realised the grammar was terrible and it made no sense. You then mocked me shamelessly for the about 10 minutes. It was horrible.