This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Comic Book Day

edited May 2007 in Manga/Comics
Yeah, its tomorrow, May 5th. Just a reminder.

Comments

• Does anyone know what they're going to have this year?
  • Sweet, a trip to empire comics, the only local comic store, will be necessary.
  • Sweet, a trip to empire comics, the only local comic store, will be necessary.
    You don't mean empire comics in Rochester do you?
  • edited May 2007
    <blockquote rel="Hitman Hart">Does anyone know what they're going to have this year?</blockquote>

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/sponsors.asp

The only ones I can see getting are Spider-Man Swing Shift for Phil Jimenez's art... and of course Comic Festival for the greatness that is Scott Pilgrim.
    Post edited by Boy Blue on
  • The only good one that is gonna be free is the spiderman one.
  • edited May 2007
    The only good one that is gonna be free is the spiderman one.
    You make it sound like they aren't all free. The ones listed are all free though, correct? I mean it IS free comic book day. I think I am going to grab anything that looks semi-interesting.
    Post edited by mkg12 on
    If you're at RIT, Hammergirl Anime's the closer choice.
  • The only good one that is gonna be free is the spiderman one.
    You make it sound like they aren't all free. The ones listed are all free though, correct? I mean it IS free comic book day. I think I am going to grab anything that looks semi-interesting.
    I think there is a selection of titles that you can choose from, you cannot just take all the comics from the store,even thought it would would be kind of sweet :P
  • Yep, it's a selection. Depending on the place you go to, they may allow you to choose up to three or one copy of each. Some go out faster than others, such as the Keenspot comics.
  • Comics, etc. is the best comic shop in Rochester. I've been to all of them, I know.
  • edited May 2007
    My local shop is The Comic Bug.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2007
    Today is the day.

Free Comic Book Day
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • edited May 2007
    Woo-hoo!!! I sure do love me any excuse to go to the local comic shop. Plus I think I might be able to make the place into the local German gaming hangout... We don't have one of those yet, and the owner LOVES Talisman, which is a pretty awesome game, if you ask me.

Dropped about 25 bucks on in store merch, and her threw in some stuff for free, in addition to the free comic day stuff. Plus he ordered Scott pilgrim for me. He said he'd call me and email me the minute he found out it was on the way.

W00T!
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • We went to Dragon's Den. They let us take one of every free comic. Pretty good all-in-all.
  • edited May 2007
    Did you get the BSG comic? The owner told me he only got 5 copies in, as opposed to the 40-50 of the other free comics. So he had set those aside for certain customers. After chatting with him about movies and boardgames and video games, and how the ps3 is the most ridiculously priced product, EVER, he went to the back and got his copy of the bsg comic and put it in the bag with the rest of my stuff. I thought that was pretty cool. He said that he had already read it, and figured he already had enough comics.

And no, I wish I could make the money I make compared to the local economy here, but be up in New York.

Empire Comics, in Enterprise, Alabama.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I got Owly, Gumby, and a batman figure. That was everything that interested me.
  • I got the BSG comic, didn't read it yet. Don't particularly like BSG, so we'll see how the comic is. Didn't get Owly or Gumby, they weren't choices. Hopefully they will come in my next box of comics as they did last year.
  • edited May 2007
    I got the last copy of the Transformers they had, the Simpsons one, the Lone Ranger, the Little Archie one, The Astounding Wolfman, The Tokyopop one, and Zero Killer. Well, and the BSG one, of course.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What is it with comics and the word "Empire"

My favourite local comic store is "Empire Toys". It's about 5 doors down from the only other comic book store in the state (Quality comics). They are that close in the second largest "statoid" (wikipedia said it, not me) in the world...

I picked up the new Owly. I got a couple of other things I don't care about for my brother.
  • I went to a local place to chat with the creator of Nodwick and PS238, Aaron Williams. While there I bought two of his books, and totally forgot to pick up any of the free comics. Ah well.
  • Wasn't the whole point of FCBD to woo new readers with free crap? When existing readers come and grab all the swag, isn't that effectively crippling the industry?
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, it is. That is why I went in KNOWING I was about to drop about 50 bucks total while only picking up the swag that I was genuinely interested in. I ordered Scott Pilgrim, and picked up one of those arttoys (or some such) brand Rinoa figures from FFVIII for Shay as a surprise, since she was feeling really sick. Now, I'm stuck trying to find the other two figures. Urg. Squall is going to be the problem; Kelly has the other chick figure on her shelf.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I also spent a boatload of dollars when I went in there.
    The point of the day is to get people to read your comic. I don't read Owly. I'm much more likely to after 2 FCBD's worth, but I'm still not 100% sure, since they are a bit expensive here (from memory).

The other two things I got weren't for me...
  • So far, I've been pretty unimpressed with the FCBD offerings. Lone Ranger was meh, and BSG was particularly lame. Most of the others I read left so little of an impression that I can't recall much from them.
  • So far, I've been pretty unimpressed with the FCBD offerings. Lone Ranger was meh, and BSG was particularly lame. Most of the others I read left so little of an impression that I can't recall much from them.
    What about the vampire-mafia comic?
  • It's this Saturday. FYI
  • Gotta go with Gumby, Owly, and Tiny Titans this year.
  • edited May 2008
    Woah. I read half of that thread without realizing it was a year old. I started freaking out, because May 5th isn't for another few days. I feel stupid.

The Gekika sampler looks pretty good. Good-Bye, by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, and Red Colored Elegy, by Seiichi Hayashi. I haven't heard of them, but it says that both of these are shipping later in the year. I'll look into it.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'm working with a bunch of friends all day on a school project, so we're gonna take a break to walk down to the local shop, whether they know it yet or not ^_~
  • I just found a comic shop that's around 25 minutes from my house, so I'll probably go there on Saturday. Looking to pick up transformers comics (I believe I saw one in the FCBD section), and the Gekiga sampler.