This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

Comments

• 2bfree said:

They need a buddy cop movie with Judge Dredd and Robocop

Wouldn't they just kill each other?
    Nah they both follow the law. Im fairly certain that were was a Dredd where cyborg judges turned up. Spoilers it didn't end well.
  • Amp said:

2bfree said:

Nah they both follow the law. Im fairly certain that were was a Dredd where cyborg judges turned up. Spoilers it didn't end well.
    It's the Dread universe, does anything?
  • The movie Robocop was developed from a script that was originally for a Judge Dredd movie. That is why they both have a half covered face, similar law enforcement roles, and even the same lines in the final movies.
  • edited April 2015

One huge problem with that idea is that we have seen how minimum wage has not kept up with the cost of living, and I can easily see the same happening to this basic income concept. The best idea I can think of is a massive works project like the New Deal where the government is employing huge chunks of people to do all the work that needs to be done, fix the bridges and all that, but I can't see the right going for anything of the sort.

Minimum wage not keeping up with cost of living has less to do with any problem with the concept of a minimum wage and more to do with the fact that the right doesn't want to raise the minimum wage at all. I mean, I see people complaining about raising the minimum wage by saying "why should that joker who can't even get my hamburger order right get a raise?" The right honestly thinks that minimum wage workers are already paid too much for the work they do.

There has been much less contention over Social Security's cost of living increases and the basic income would probably be more akin to that than a minimum wage increase.

I agree that, ideally, a New Deal-esque works project would be wonderful. Heaven knows our infrastructure is falling apart and could use something like that.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • They also look at places like Australia, with a higher minimum wage, see everything is quite expensive, and say "Well, if you have a high minimum wage, things obviously must get more expensive because the filthy poors can afford to buy more things", without realizing that's not how it fucking works.
  • People say that all of the shit at McDonald's would suddenly be expensive but really from what I've read it would be more like your McDouble would cost 10 cents or so more. Oh well, I'll deal with it.
  • edited April 2015
    Prices won't be affected much unless the velocity of the dollar is seriously impacted. It is more likely the Fed prints more money, which has a more immediate effect on inflation in the short run, but even that is unlikely.

I mean, Big Macs could eventually cost $10, but by then I expect the US to be long gone.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • The minimum wage as it stands is so far below a living wage that I personally would honestly consider crime if I were forced to choose between it and the minimum wage.

I'm not joking.
  • Please tell me this is a joke. This asshole wasn't even a cop, or a wannabe cop doing shit on his own like Zimmerman. This was a rich asshole who paid a shitload of money to the police to get to play cop.
  • Please tell me this is a joke. This asshole wasn't even a cop, or a wannabe cop doing shit on his own like Zimmerman. This was a rich asshole who paid a shitload of money to the police to get to play cop.

He at least seemed remorseful. The behavior of the other cops is absolutely disgraceful.

• He at least seemed remorseful.

He shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Banta said:

He at least seemed remorseful.

He shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Fair point.
  • Messed up situation for a number of reasons.
    But I can't help asking, why was that moron running from the police? That seems to me like one of the worst things to do.
    But I can't help asking, why was that moron running from the police? That seems to me like one of the worst things to do.

It is a dumb thing to do. However, it is a natural "fight or flight" instinct at work. In any case, it doesn't give the police the right to use lethal force (and in my opinion it shouldn't either).
  • What disgusts me is the blatant and open way the actual officer was willing to lie to sweep this under the rug. The auxillary was horrified at his accidental discharge, but instead of admitting, "yeah, he fucked up and we could have handled that better," the officer is literally blaming the victim for something he had no control over whatsoever.

Seems a bit forward to call him a moron without knowing the circumstances.
    If he's the moron what does that make the police and the "deputy officer".
  • sK0pe said:

Messed up situation for a number of reasons.

Seems a bit forward to call him a moron without knowing the circumstances.
    If he's the moron what does that make the police and the "deputy officer".
    Even if an officer doesn't shoot you, you're tacking on extra charges if, and when, they do catch up to you. And of course that's gonna be used against you in court. ("Why would he run if he was innocent?")
  • I do remember a certain long haired podcaster saying to only run away from the police if you know you can get away.
  • *reads article*

No, it's not harmless. He could've gotten the teacher fired over this had any of the other staff seen it. The kid even said he didn't like the teacher. Adding to the fact that he hacked a school computer (which is itself a felony), he got what he deserved.
  • Daikun said:

*reads article*

No, it's not harmless. He could've gotten the teacher fired over this had any of the other staff seen it. The kid even said he didn't like the teacher. Adding to the fact that he hacked a school computer (which is itself a felony), he got what he deserved.
    "Hacked" a school computer? By knowing the password everyone in the room knew and changing the desktop?

Pull the other one.
  • For letting students know that password, the teacher should be fired.
  • Shit man, a bunch of us in my high school new a teacher's password when I was a senior. Nobody used it for anything evil that I know of, just used it to get around the school's blocker.
  • I feel like there need to be different levels of punishment for accessing a computer by knowing the password versus circumventing the computer's authentication systems.
    Also, in physical law there's a difference between trespassing and breaking and entering - the latter additionally requires intent to commit a crime - why not for computers?

Oh, right, it's because copyright lawyers and governmental incompetence.
  • My friends and I installed back doors on 42 computers when in highschool to play actual pranks at different locations or within the same location. I don't think the kid should be going to jail.

Gotta feed the US prison (business) system somehow.

The guy ran from people who have a license to kill innocents. Is he a moron? Does he maybe need to have some sort of rights? Is he innocent till proven guilty? I haven't watched the opener to Law and Order recently, I assume investigation still occurs? Right?

• edited April 2015
    sK0pe said:

I haven't watched the opener to Law and Order recently, I assume investigation still occurs? Right?

The attempted arrest was actually following an investigation this time, according to the news - he had just illegally sold a handgun to undercover detectives.
    But why the fuck would you try to even taze someone when other officers try to have him pinned down? And why would you bring a poorly-trained faux cop on a sting?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited April 2015
    So, there are situations when I feel like the police were totally unjustified in shooting someone,
    but then, then there are stories like this (warning, it's heavy stuff in this video):

Two male members of a traveling christian song group (that plays outside Walmarts and other stores) assault a female employee who was attempting to use the bathroom, blocking her from entering and roughing her up. It's being guessed that the family's mom was in there bathing in the sink, which is a no-no. Police are called, an employee confronts the family in the parking lot, and they assault him as well. You can see the employee start attacking one of the family when the family member attacks an officer.
    Police show up, and you can clearly hear in the video the cops say something along the lines of "We need to separate everyone and talk to them", after which the youngest (21) hillbilly thug attacks a cop shouting "YOU CANT SEPARATE ME FROM MY MOM!". Then all hell breaks loose.
    Not only do the cops not immediately draw on these people, they put up with a lot of verbal and physical abuse, and only shoot once the youngest gets on top of an officer, takes the officers weapon, and shoots the officer in the leg. Then he's promptly shot.

Now, the thing that I thought about after watching this, besides the staggering stupidity of that entire goddamned family of hilljacks (note they scream multiple times that they 'haven't done anything wrong', mostly while attacking the officers, the father is yelling in a cop's face that he's a nazi for attacking his 'children', and the mother howling about how they're trying to kill her whole family, shortly after which irony just packed up and left), was wondering if the situation would have been different had the family been non-white.

Maybe the situation would have indeed only ended with one death (deservedly), but the dark, cynical side of me thinks most of them would have just been blown away.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Churba said:

Amp said:

2bfree said:

It's the Dread universe, does anything?
    Err I think Hershy was ok in the end, maybe Dredds niece? But the law is upheld and thats the important thing.

@GreatTeacherMacRoss Yeah I saw that one doing the rounds. I feel that there with hindsight there is always more that could be done better but that is the benefit of hindsight. It would be nice for people not to be dead but at least they weren't all blown away.
  • It was crazy that they were running around for so long and one of cops was disarmed by random kids.

You would think they could just zip tie people one at a time rather than running around like headless chooks. It just gave them a reason to start using tasers pepper sprays etc.

I also agree these guys may have just been rolled up on and shot down or their patience would have worn thin way earlier.

Better outcome if they left their guns in the car?