This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

Comments

• sK0pe said:

But yeah, fuck any police who abuse their power.

Which is all police that aren't detectives?
    These people are uneducated as fuck but have power so they're constantly on a power high. Yet when you ask them to assist you or carry out a law they aren't familiar with, they pass the work off to someone else or give a lame excuse.
    At least here in Kentucky you've gotta have some kind of post-secondary education to even be a beat officer, even if it is just an associate's degree. Your statement is a grossly broad oversimplification as there are cops out there who simply want to protect and serve as the admittedly overly-romantic notion goes.
  • sK0pe said:

But yeah, fuck any police who abuse their power.

Which is all police that aren't detectives?
    These people are uneducated as fuck but have power so they're constantly on a power high. Yet when you ask them to assist you or carry out a law they aren't familiar with, they pass the work off to someone else or give a lame excuse.
    At least here in Kentucky you've gotta have some kind of post-secondary education to even be a beat officer, even if it is just an associate's degree. Your statement is a grossly broad oversimplification as there are cops out there who simply want to protect and serve as the admittedly overly-romantic notion goes.
    Yeah, there are a lot of dickhead cops out there, but there are a lot of "Beat Officer Bobs," as I like to call them. They're the friendly neighborhood cops who always say hi, don't go about abusing their power, just care to serve and protect, etc. The problem is that Beat Officer Bobs hardly ever make the news, so it's hard to know how many of them exist vs. the dickhead cops that get all the headlines. I personally have had experience with both Beat Officer Bobs and dickhead cops (for whatever reason, woman cops have treated me the harshest out of all of them and I've yet to have a positive experience with one), so I do know they both exist.

One thing to keep in mind is that police departments can choose not to hire someone as a cop if he/she is too smart. They may want a minimum level of education and intelligence before hiring you as a cop, but they don't want any brilliant people in law enforcement either.
  • The IQ limiter on employment is usually there because employers do not want to train a person and then have that person leave due to dissatisfaction. It is not because the force does not want smart people it is because smart people have a higher chance of dissatisfaction with the job resulting in them leaving.
  • edited June 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

The IQ limiter on employment is usually there because employers do not want to train a person and then have that person leave due to dissatisfaction. It is not because the force does not want smart people it is because smart people have a higher chance of dissatisfaction with the job resulting in them leaving.

Perhaps, but it also means that you lower the average IQ of your employees by barring people with high IQs from those positions. Instead of just barring people with high IQs, instead they should work on trying to figure out why they would be dissatisfied and figure out how to satisfy them. In the case of a cop, perhaps provide a way for smart beat officers to work their way up to detective quicker due to their smarts, for example. Solving the problem of employee dissatisfaction in smart cops by only hiring dumb cops doesn't solve the problem at all.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • HMTKSteve said:

The IQ limiter on employment is usually there because employers do not want to train a person and then have that person leave due to dissatisfaction. It is not because the force does not want smart people it is because smart people have a higher chance of dissatisfaction with the job resulting in them leaving.

Perhaps, but it also means that you lower the average IQ of your employees by barring people with high IQs from those positions. Instead of just barring people with high IQs, instead they should work on trying to figure out why they would be dissatisfied and figure out how to satisfy them. In the case of a cop, perhaps provide a way for smart beat officers to work their way up to detective quicker due to their smarts, for example. Solving the problem of employee dissatisfaction in smart cops by only hiring dumb cops doesn't solve the problem at all.
    It's cheaper just to hire dumb people that are easily entertained with power over others.
  • I like the ambiguity of the thread title. Is it a command, "fuck the police?" Could be an exclamation - "Fuck! The cops are here!" Maybe it's about sex police, that control who can and can't fuck.
  • Or, you know, a suggestion to have intimate relations with the police.
  • That's kind of included in option a.
  • That site looks like a reference people with drugs at a concert would use.
  • Not giving consent just means the cop has to wait ten minutes for the warrant before he gives you your surprise rectal exam.
  • But in order to keep you there for ten minutes, the cop needs to arrest you.
  • And if they arrest you for no reason, you get to sue them and they have some issues with their bosses for getting in trouble and being bad publicity. It's safer for them to not bother trying to arrest you unless they really have reason to believe you're doing something illegal.
  • While this may be my optimism talking, hopefully if they're arresting you you did give them a good reason to.
  • Yes. The point here is that if they aren't arresting you, they aren't legally permitted to stop you in your car without real probable cause. Profiling like "Your car looks dirty" is not probable cause. Which is something that was said to the guy in the video.
  • Well, they're permitted to stop you, but they're not permitted to detain you for more than a "reasonable length of time", which in practice has been judged to be significantly less than the time needed to get a warrant.
  • There are specific rules about specific things they're doing. That's why you repeat your extremely specific question over and over.

"Am I being detained?"

If they say no, you change to:

"Am I free to leave?"

If they say no, then you have to revert to "So I am being detained?

They have to either let you go or actively detain you. Detention is a specific status. They deciding to establish that status can be problematic for them if they do it for improper reasons. You're basically forcing them to formally interact with you, rather than casually.

Any person is free to disengage at any time from any informal encounter with any other person. Police have zero special power there. You don't have to say hello or answer a question they ask any moreso than you do for a random hobo on the street.

If they refuse to let you leave and are therefore formally detaining you, you escalate to the same exchange on whether or not they are arresting you.

If they actually arrest you, or say that they are (same thing legally in most cases), and they aren't able to establish a proper cause later, then they are fucked.

Force the police to formally interact with you in all cases, so that all of the rules apply to them.
  • What Rym said. Once you force them to put you into a category, it is clear which rights you have. If they fail to procedurally give you any of the rights you are supposed to have, it is a pretty bad fuck-up on their part. Because of that, they are generally wary of putting you in one of those formal categories without good reason.
  • So I guess at some point we have to talk about the situation in Ferguson, the killing of Mike Brown etc.

I'm not american, but the whole fiasco deeply upsets me. The story told by the police is fishy as all fuck, but nobody can really tell. The looting and rioting was definitely fucked up as well, but all the pictures I see from Ferguson are really disturbing. Police deck out from head to toe in military grade hardware, point high-powered rifles at protesters. The surrounding no-fly zones, suppression of the media etc. is also hard to believe.

I would laugh at some of the ironies if it wasn't just so sad and tragic. It is no doubt that a lot of this has come about from the "war on terrorism" and the state of fear the U.S. has been in basically ever since 9/11, turning their police into essentially paramilitary forces. In a sense the terrorists won, making the U.S. into a paranoid, schizophrenic mess, ready to eat itself at a moments notice.

Whats more are the severe racist undertones to the entire situation. From what I've been told, basically and and all government functions are controlled by white people. Mayor, school board, city council, etc. And of the 53 police officers in ferguson, 50 are white. The town has a population that is close to 70% black. I really have no clue how anybody can take this seriously and not see the racism involved here.

I may be preaching to the choir here, but this whole debacle just makes me angry and disgusted.
  • That whole region is like that. It's a a legacy of old racism that breeds a new racism.
  • Government is elected so if there is racial underrepresentation you can blame the political parties for not being inclusive or the voters.
  • You can also blame racism because people don't vote for people of color in most places.
  • You can also blame racism because people don't vote for people of color in most places.

If the town is 70% black?
  • HMTKSteve said:

You can also blame racism because people don't vote for people of color in most places.

If the town is 70% black?
    People don't give campaign contributions to people of color in most places. We all know that the real power comes from those who give campaign contributions, not the voters.
  • How much do those campaign contributions impact local races?
  • HMTKSteve said:

How much do those campaign contributions impact local races?

They are basically all that matters.
  • Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

How much do those campaign contributions impact local races?

They are basically all that matters.
    Bullshit. In a town the size of Ferguson? They have a population of 21,000. My town has a population of 27,000 and the local candidates raise and spend dick for money. Statewide races spend in the millions. Locals? Other than lawn signs and a few mailers there is nothing being spent.

At the local level money is not a bar to entry.
  • Okay, being less cynical about money, looking at the demographics of the city, it seems like only about 23% of the population has a college education (89% at least has a high school diploma). Also, most of the population appears to work in low-skill/low-education occupations such as landscape laborers, retail, warehousing, manufacturing, etc. In other words, most of the population does not have the time nor the disposable income to go out and campaign for public office. Even if we assume these percentages were equal across racial and ethnic groups (and they probably aren't), there is a dearth of of people of color available to even run for public office, let alone hold public office. Of course, given that, generally, people of color hold a disproportionate number of low-skill/low-pay jobs, it makes the situation even more dire.

The fact is, even if you aren't accepting campaign contributions, you still need money to run for public office of any sort. At the very least, you need enough money to quit whatever job you're currently working to campaign for public office. Even if you can combine working with campaigning, you need to be secure enough with your job so that if you ever lose an election, you can go back to work and make a living afterwards. If you work a low-skill/low-pay job at all, you're pretty much disqualified for realistically running for public office.