This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stem Cells

edited May 2007 in Politics
Did you see the Republican debate on MSNBC last night? Since they were allowed to be at the Reagan library by Nancy Reagan, they were asked about embryonic stem cell research. Not a single one supported it.

What do you think?

Comments

• I think it's one of those "grey area" things. As much as I try to take a stand on one side or the other, I always find fault with the arguments. The biggest problem I have with it is, who should be allowed to be treated with stem cells? If no one uses them, then it's a waste. If everyone has access to them, then we have over-population. If only certain people can use them, we're basically saying that some people are allowed to live and others are not.

But I guess that's implementation. If we wanna talk research, I take Penn Jillette's stance. It's up to the scientists to do the science and up to the politicians to argue about what to do with it.
  • Three of them said they didn't even believe in evolution.
  • Three of them said they didn't even believe in evolution.
    Ok, you convinced me. I have to watch this now. Video link anywhere?
  • edited May 2007
    Video

Transcript

From Transcript:

*snip*

MR. VANDEHEI: Senator McCain, this comes from a Politico.com reader and was among the top vote-getters in our early rounds. They want a yes or no. Do you believe in evolution?

SEN. MCCAIN: Yes.

MR. VANDEHEI: I’m curious, is there anybody on the stage that does not agree -- believe in evolution?

(Senator Brownback, Mr. Huckabee, Representative Tancredo raise their hands.)

SEN. MCCAIN: May I -- may I just add to that?

MR. VANDEHEI: Sure.

SEN. MCCAIN: I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also.

*snip*
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The response I would have loved to give at a moment like that, with the hands still raised:
    "Well Evolution believes in you, monkey boys. Keep those hands held high and I'm sure Evolution will get around to giving you those higher thought processes you so desperately need. Till then, enjoy the thumbs."
  • Stem Cell Research is a touchy subject to get into. It all comes down to Separation of Church and State. There are so many topics that are based on religious values, so it's hard to debate the "right side". For example, Gay marriage, abortion, and stem cell research are the most brought up topics, because they're are based on moral values.

Personally, I believe 100% in stem cell research. By saying you're against it, you're telling everyone that you don't want to further medical research, and you don't want to find cures for diseases. But by saying you do support it, your saying that your willing to experiment on an unborn child. There's really no nice way to put it. Once again, it is all based on values. You can't really say, "I want to further medical research, but I don't want to hurt anything doing it". It's just not possible. You can't say "Your opinion is wrong", no matter how much you want to shove it up their asses.
  • I've always heard they could use stem cells from frozen fertilized eggs that would otherwise be disposed of, or something to that effect. I can't see a reasonable opposition to that. Then again, I mostly heard about it on Air America before the local Clear Channel folks killed it and turned it into a Spanish music station, so your mileage may vary.