This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070509 - Watchmen

Comments

• It's not just one book though. You guys tell us about so many cool and interesting things that it builds up over time!
    So sell the stuff you bought before and are not going to read again.
    I can't, I'm a collector. Besides, you guys might talk about again in a later podcast and then I would have to buy it again!
  • I was all pump up to get my copy of watchmen today but my comic store suck at at stoking so I am gonna have to wait until Wednesday. They only had the collectors edition for 75 dollars, and I am too poor.

Instead I got me some marvel zombies, new avenger, amazing spiderman (May hand in there) and the awesomeness of Buddha :P
  • Instead I got me some marvel zombies, new avenger, amazing spiderman (May hand in there) and the awesomeness of Buddha :P
    I award you with this win.
  • I picked this up today.

Good fucking god.

Thank you.

I'm only 4 chapters in, but god damn.
  • I just got my copy today. Why did I not read this back in the 80's???
  • I picked up a copy on 5/20 and it is indeed amazing, though I've been too tired the last couple nights to read it without falling asleep. I sure did want to read it last night... :'(
  • Just got my copy in the mail.
  • Wow. This is really good.
  • Watchmen The Movie moves ever closer. IGN: Watchmen Leads Set?
  • Watchmen The Movie moves ever closer.IGN: Watchmen Leads Set?
    Oh, pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease!
  • Heath Ledger = Adrien Veidt

He looks IDENTICAL...

Haley would be a badass Rorschach.
  • Did any of you ever read Kingdom Come? It was a very well put together story and the art was excellent.
  • Here is a link to a story (MTV Movie News, referencing the Hollywood Reporter) about the cast being revealed at Comic Con. The cast listed in the article: I know nothing about any of the actors. I guess my pop culture knowledge is out of date.
  • I finally read it. Awesome however I have one question. Why, why, when you are making a raft do you even include dead bodies? And why when you do do you act surprised when the sharks come?
  • edited March 2008
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • More Watchmen stills.
    Those are very cool. It makes me want to believe that this movie is going to be done right.
  • More Watchmen stills.
    Wow, Ozymandias is a bad ass looking dude.
  • Wow, Ozymandias is a bad, ass-looking dude.
    Fixed.
  • Wow, Ozymandias is a bad, ass-looking dude.
    Fixed.
    True that. He's the only one that isn't looking so great. The Comedian though, is dead fucking on.
  • Ozy looks way too evil. The whole black/silver color scheme doesn't work too well with him.
  • Eh, I really like the way he looks. He's either my favorite or second favorite character in the book. I like how evil he looks.
  • Eh, I really like the way he looks. He's either my favorite or second favorite character in the book. I like how evil he looks.
    He looks a bit like Scott in the Val Kilmer Batsuit. It's not that threatening.
  • edited March 2008
    I wasn't really a fan of Adrian's costume in the comic itself, so the fact that it doesn't look so great in the movie doesn't surprise me too much. Everyone else looks incredibly AWESOME! :D I agree with Scott that The Comedian is pretty much dead-on, and Night Owl and Silk Spectre look a hell of a lot cooler than I was expecting. Rorschach's coolness isn't even in question anymore, since we've seen several pics of him already.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Any chance of getting a final thoughts style episode for Watchmen? I figured more then enough time has passed for listeners not wanting to be spoiled to go out and read the book.
  • My roommate purchased the Watchmen trade, the one with the smiley face on the cover. I finished reading it maybe a week ago and man, its amazing how good this comic is! I really hope they don't screw it up in the movie. The costume designs on the Watchmen site look kind of silly. I'm crossing my fingers for them to approach it tastefully.
  • edited July 2008
    This is somewhat old news, but the trailer for "Watchmen" will be showing be before The Dark Knight, premiering this Friday.

Oh mans, now I'm even more excited to go to the theaters this weekend. ^_^

Also, any word on the final thoughts episode of this comic?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'd really like a final thoughts episode for Watchmen as well. Maybe you guys could release one around the time that the movie comes out, like you did for V for Vendetta?

I'm likely going to see The Dark Knight tomorrow morning, and I'll be going to it almost as much for that Watchmen trailer as for the movie itself. :3
  • edited July 2008
    I watch the Watchmen trailer before Batman the Dark Knight movie. The movie trailer of Watchmen look really good. I hope the movie turns out to be really good as will. I have read all of the Watchmen Comics a couple of weeks ago and now I'm a big fan of Watchmen. Thank you Rym and Scott for recommending this great work of art.

P.S this movie better be rated R or I won't go see it.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • I read Watchmen once, about 10 years ago. Started reading it again recently, and I didn't remember that much about it. I just finished it. I'd completely forgotten how it ended. In short, holy shit. It's a LOT better than I remember it. I think I was too young to really appreciate it back then. I just watched the trailer again -- it looked pretty cool the first few times, but now, having finished the book again, it made me tear up a little from the sheer awesome. I know there's pretty much no way it can live up to the book, at least not as a movie. Maybe an HBO series or something. But I can dream.