This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Keyboard commands

edited April 2006 in Technology
One thing that's a big part of a geek's PC experience is, in my opinion, keyboard comands. Now I'm just speaking in terms of Windows XP and here are the keyboard comands I know:

Windows Key + E (brings up explore)
Ctrl + Z (Undo)
Ctrl + X (Cut)
Ctrl + C (Copy)
Ctrl + V (Paste)
Ctrl + Alt + Del (You know what it does)
Ctrl + Esc (Start menu)
Alt + F4 (closes the selected window)
Alt + Tab (switch between windows; try holding down alt and press tab multiple times)
Alt + Space + N (Minimizes selected window)
Alt + Space + R (Restores selected window)
Alt + Space + X (Maximizes selected window)
Windows Key + M (minimizes all windows at once)

In FireFox:
Ctrl + Enter (puts www. and .com at the ends of what you put in)
Ctrl + Shift + Enter and Shift + Enter (puts in .org or .net at the end; I can't remember which one is which because I'm at school and stuck with I.E. here)

That's all I can think of for now. I'd like to hear of some other keyboard comands if any of you guys know any.

Comments

• Don't even get me started. I am god when it comes to Firefox keyboard commands. I control Firefox almost entirely with the keyboard. If I really wanted to I could browse the web without a mouse entirely. No point in me listing all the commands I use since I use pretty much all of them. See this site for a complete listing of Firefox keyboard shortcuts.

I highly recommend you learn as many of these as possible if you are a Firefox user. The more of them you make a habit of using the faster, more efficient and more enjoyable your browsing experience will be. Remember, the faster you can browse the more time you have for other things. Or you can just visit more sites each day in the same amount of time.
  • I too don't have to have the mouse for litterally anything unless it's some wierd program designed to be use with like only the mouse. Something I'd like to know more of though is the Windows keybaord commands if anybody else has any.
  • I know a good windows keyboard command.

ctrl+alt+delete = reboot to Linux.

lol.
  • edited April 2006
    BURN!!!

I've really been meaning to get Linux, but there's so many versions and I really don't know what all the details are about. Plus, I haven't been able to talk to my friend who was going to show the whole thing to me.
    Post edited by Kamiccolo on
  • edited April 2006
    Scott's guide to trying Linux risk-free
    1. Download an Ubuntu LiveCD iso from here.
    2. Burn the image onto a CD-ROM. Make sure it's the LiveCD(not the install CD), and make sure it's the right one for your computer.
    3. Put the CD in your CD-ROM.
    4. Reboot the computer.
    5. Reboot the computer again when you are done trying Linux.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Arigato. I shall be using this.
  • Ctrl + Space : Activate Quicksilver
    Cmd + Space: Activate Spotlight

What else do you need?
  • F10 - Open up the cheat menu in Counter Strike.
  • http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/04/windows-keyboard-shortcuts-you-never.html
  • Well, my most used firefox keyboard command HAS to be Ctrl-T, To open a new tab
    I'm going to find out one to switch tabs as soon as i can be arsed to google it :P
  • Control tab to switch Firefox tabs. I like that one.
  • control+shift+tab switches tabs in the opposite direction.
  • control + a number gives you tab number 1,2,3,4...
  • Hehe, thanks - i knew there would be one. My other well used windows command is Ctrl-A (select all)
  • Here's one command I've become more and more familiar with since I "upgraded" to XP:

The fucking power button.

Oh how I long for the days when pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice actually did something worthwhile. Now, its a hard reset or stare at a frozen screen. Got damn.

That Ubuntu Live CD worked great when I tried it, so Linux, here I come... any day now.
  • edited April 2006
    Argh, don't torment me with your ability to switch to Linux god damn you! I neeeeed steam
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • OK, before I go to work I will reveal my secret Firefox location bar shortcuts, which I use constantly.

ctrl+L will put you in the location bar.

ctrl+K will put you in the search bar.

If you type something in the location bar and press ctrl+enter, it will add the www. before it and the .com after it. Never type http://www..com again!

If you hit shift+enter it will add a .net instead of .com.

If you do ctrl+shift+enter it does .org.

If you type a url in the location bar and hit alt+enter, it will open that location in a new tab.

You can combine the above shortcuts. Here is practice:

Hit ctrl+L to go to the location bar in firefox.
    Type just the word frontrowcrew.
    Hit ctrl+alt+enter to open http://www.frontrowcrew.com in a new tab.
    Hit ctrl+L again.
    Type just the word slashdot.
    Hit ctrl+alt+shift+enter to open http://www.slashdot.org in a new tab.

Screw that mouse!
  • Not so much a keyboard command, but my Firefox 'Home Page' is, in fact, three separate pages, all separated by a pipe. For example, I have

mail.google.com|www.slashdot.org|www.donkeymidgetpr0n.gov

and it loads them all up in separate tabs at startup. Very handy.
  • I used to do that, but then it got out of hand. I moved them into a folder instead, then used about:blank as my homepage.