This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LEDs wiring and Gundam Plastic Models

After building over 30 Gunpla and see a lot of people on the Internet do cool things with LEDs to light up the Gundam's eyes and other parts I decided what the hey, I should give it a try. With my new Nemo model form ACEN, I should give it a try. The only problem is, I haven't been able to find any tutorials and much info on LEDs and/with Gundam models. So is there anyone who knows anything about wiring LEDs and/or put them in Gundam plastic models?

Thanks

Comments

• edited May 2007
    L.E.D.s are a fairly simple thing to wire up, if you have a steady hand and some patience.  First off, you need to know exactly how many L.E.D.s you plan to use.  Then, you need to know the voltage draw they have.  After that, you need to know what voltage of a powersource you will be using; a standard AA or AAA sits at 1.5 volts, and you can get a holder for a single batter fairly cheaply at your local RadioShack.  Add up the voltage draw of all the L.E.D.s you plan on using and plug it into an online L.E.D. resistor calculator, along with the voltage of the battery you will be using, and that will tell you how much resistance you will need.  You can also pick up a resistor while at said RadioShack. 
    Finally, the wiring is pretty straightforward. Positive off the battery holder to the resistor, other side of the resistor to the positive side of the first L.E.D.,  ground of the first L.E.D. to the positive pole of the second L.E.D., and so on, until you get to the last L.E.D., at which point you wire the ground on the last L.E.D. back to the battery holder on the negative side. 
    Also, you can wire in a switch in line either between the last L.E.D. and the battery holder, or between the battery holder and the resistor.
    Hope that made sense.
    Oh, and you can pick up L.E.D.s while at radioshack.
    And one last thing; if I'm not mistaken, the longer wire coming out of the L.E.D. denotes the positive side.  I think.

Post edited by WallyBman on
  • edited May 2007
    This site doesn't have anything about L.E.D. wiring, but it is a pretty good site. Some might be interested. It has a lot of pictures of just about every Gundam model kit there is.
    www.dalong.net
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • I resurrect this thread with my semi-finish RX-78-2
    I am afraid to put the stickers on :(