This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Total nub needs Ubuntu help.

edited May 2007 in Technology
I recently saved Ubuntu onto a CD-R in E:, and I wanna boot it. How do I do so? I tried inserting the CD, restarting my computer, and pressing F11, but all that did was casue my Dell to make loud beeps and cause Vista to boot.

I'm an idiot-nub, so I need an in depth, yet easy to understand explanation of what I should do. I'll post my other Ubuntu needs here, and hopefully I'll become less of a nimrod.

Comments

• Your disk drive has to be first in your boot order; which you can set by holding a certain key during bootup - seemingly not F11 in your case.
    This site suggests F2, but your mileage may vary with that. Other common options are F8 or Delete (which is more likely to take you into the BIOS, where you can also change your boot order).
  • OK, I used F2 to change my boot order. I put the disk drive up top, but, when I saved and exited, Vista still loaded, but slower. Do you think there's a problem with the way I saved Ubuntu onto the disk? I used these instructions.
  • Are you setting your BIOS to boot from CD before booting from hard drive?
  • Yeah the CD drive should be top of your boot order. It's unlikely that the problem lies with the disk. If it's still giving you trouble you could try burning it again, but I've personally never had a problem with an ISO that has never been bootable when it should be.
    Do you perhaps have more than one disk drive? If so it's possible you put the wrong one to the top.
  • edited May 2007
    Yes, I set the BIOS to boot from the CD before the hard drive. I even tried entering the multiboot menu and selecting disk drrive, but it still didn't work.

And, John, I'll try that. I think that, in my infinite noobish-ness, I incorrectly burned Ubuntu to the CD-R. Also, I only have one disk drive, so that's not the problem.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I'm burning a new disk. A little pop-up came up in InfraRecorder that said that I had a DVD burner, and asked if I wanted to burn to DVD media. I clicked no, because I had inserted a CD-R and not a DVD-R. Is this OK?
  • Ok, so I booted Ubuntu successfully from the boot disk I made. Now, I need to get access to my wireless router so that I can go online. Can someone help me out?
  • I'm not gonna screw with setting up my router tonight because I'm very tired, but I have another rather idiotic question. When I click install on the Ubuntu boot disk, will I still be able to keep Vista?
  • When I click install on the Ubuntu boot disk, will I still be able to keep Vista?
    If you do it properly. It all depends on hard disk partitions and such.
  • If you are lucky your wireless card will work with Linux. If not you will have to look into ndiswrapper.
  • I recently tried installing Fiesty Fawn on my media center laptop as a dual boot, but it just stops and freezes just prior to getting to the partitioning part of the install. I guess it's a known bug when trying to install on some HP laptop models. So I instead installed it in VMWare via .iso within XP. That might be an option for you L Lawliet
  • I have never been able to get a good install of Linux on my laptop. There is something flaky with my video board. Heck, sometimes the video crashes playing videos on WinXP!
  • I'm not gonna screw with setting up my router tonight because I'm very tired, but I have another rather idiotic question. When I click install on the Ubuntu boot disk, will I still be able to keep Vista?
    If you go about and change the partitions (Ubuntu has great software for that, just use the life disk), I recommend defragmenting your hard disk first. I think Vista keeps the hard disk pretty clean, but still... If fragments of your data gets lost on the wrong side of the disk you might end up losing them, that is not something you want.
  • When I click install on the Ubuntu boot disk, will I still be able to keep Vista?

If you do it properly. It all depends on hard disk partitions and such.

You can do a quick Google search and find out exactly how to do it down to the letter. But remember, there is ALWAYS a chance that something will go wrong. So back up your important stuff.
  • edited May 2007
    NDISwrapper is quite simple to operate.

1) Download the .exe file for your wireless driver
    2) Use 7zip to extract the contents of the .exe to a folder and put that on a usb drive or similar.
    3) Go back into ubuntu, open NDISwrapper and point it to the .inf file in the folder

Your wireless should now work!

You should be fine when it comes to partitioning unless your vista partition takes up the whole disc. If not a program like paragon partition manager should let you resize the partition without harming the data.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I had the same problem L lawlite had, I just went and bought an new wireless that is supported by Ubuntu, and I sold the other one.
  • NDISwrapper is quite simple to operate.

1) Download the .exe file for your wireless driver
    2) Use 7zip to extract the contents of the .exe to a folder and put that on a usb drive or similar.
    3) Go back into ubuntu, open NDISwrapper and point it to the .inf file in the folder

Your wireless should now work!

You should be fine when it comes to partitioning unless your vista partition takes up the whole disc. If not a program like paragon partition manager should let you resize the partition without harming the data.
    Would saving the files to a CD-R disc work as well?
  • I tried to get the .exe file for NDISwrapper, but I could only find a .gz file. Can someone post a link to where I can download the proper file?
  • I tried to get the .exe file for NDISwrapper, but I could only find a .gz file. Can someone post a link to where I can download the proper file?
    I don't think you understand. ndiswrapper is a program which allows you to use the Windows wireless driver in Linux. You could say that ndiswrapper wraps the driver. You get the exe file for your wireless driver. Then you install ndiswrapper and wrap that driver with the ndis. The specifics of doing so are slightly different for many wireless cards. I suggest you figure out exactly which wireless card you have and searching the Ubuntu forums for a specific howto.