This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Regatta anyone?

edited May 2007 in Everything Else
Calling all rowers!

Tomorrow the IRA regatta, the collegiate men's rowing national championship, starts. It's in Camden, New Jersey, on the Cooper River. The main event is the Varsity 8, which are the fastest boats. I'll be rowing in Wisconsin's Varsity straight 4. Is anyone else rowing/going? If you're into rowing, this is the big one. I was looking at the entry sheet, and RIT has an entry in the Varsity 4.

Comments

• I always wanted to learn to sail.
  • I have a friend who is insane at rowing. He rowed for Thomas Jefferson School of Science and Technology. He won the Stotesbury twice I think and the USRowing National Regatta. He also rowed for the US Junior National team. He now rows for Princeton. Yeah, he's pretty awesome.
  • Ouch, Scott, that hurts.

This is rowing. Note the physical exertion. Rowers are NOT sailors. We move our own boats, thank you very much.

WIP, do you know what boat he's in?
  • I always wanted to learn to sail.

If you're ever in California, call me up.
  • Well, the title of the thread is "Regatta Anyone?" and I believe competitions of sailing are indeed called regatta.
  • Well, the title of the thread is "Regatta Anyone?" and I believe competitions of sailing are indeed called regatta.

They are indeed. I had the same thought when I read the title too.
  • I thought of rowing, but that's probably because my oldest brother has been rowing professionally for about four years and started competing in high school when I was seven. So the word regatta makes me automatically think of muscular people crammed into tiny fibreglass shells and coxies.
    The regatta looks like it'd be a pretty awesome time, I wish I could watch!