This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Voter snubs Romney for being Mormon.

edited May 2007 in Politics
I don't care if you like the Dems or Gop what this guy did was wrong. This doesn’t mean I don't have some problems with some of the teaching of the Mormon faith, but what this guy did was flat out wrong period end of story. null

Comments

• I don't think it was wrong. There's nothing wrong with refusing to shake someone's hand, or proclaiming you won't vote for them. It was just unprofessional. However, it doesn't seem like this guy is an atheist, so he probably is a bigot. So yeah, I don't think he did anything wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's not a great person. Then again, neither is Romney.
  • What I am finding funny (on conservative talk radio) is the amount of confusion commentators are displaying. I keep hearing them ask and opine on why certain candidates are not leading in the polls, Romney is one of the names I hear.

These same commentators completely ignore Ron Paul's standing in the polls.

It reminds me of the out-of-touch politician wondering why no one agrees with them raising taxes to build bridges that do not go anywhere...
  • Id just like to clarify whether the man wouldn't shake his hand on the grounds of being part of the Mormon due to the religious beliefs or their views on such things as technology and modernisation?

Either way its just one voter. You can't win everyone over as not everyone agrees with you.
  • Being a Mormon is going to be a problem for him.

When most people think of Mormons they think:

1. Those guys that walk up to your house and just want to talk with you
    2. Those folks with multiple wives
    3. Those weird Jesus-freaks who think God sent people out of Egypt in submarines to settle in South America
    4. Those weird people who think some guy was given a book made from gold by an angel, a book that no one can now find

Mormons tend to be perceived as one of those fringe sects of Christianity. I think it is a deal killer for him.
  • edited May 2007
    It was rather rude not to shake hands, but it's not completely out of line. I do believe it was a little uncalled for.

Lol, Steve. The first thing I thought when reading this is "aren't Mormons those people with a lot of wives?" and then I went to look it up on Wiki.

Religion isn't exactly my strong point, but I do agree with Steve, being a Mormon could be a problem. It's rather sad to say, but a lot of people just don't know what Mormons beliefs really are.
    Post edited by bunnikun on
  • I think about that South Park episode, but I now think that about most religions.
  • His mormanism was a semi-big deal when he got elected governor up here in Massachusetts. Not as big as it would've been in, say, Texas, but it was still brought up regularly.
    What pisses me off is how he keeps bringing up the JFK comparison, though.
  • What pisses me off is how he keeps bringing up the JFK comparison, though.
    What JFK comparison?

The last JFK comparison that came out of Mass was John 'F-ing' Kerry.
  • What pisses me off is how he keeps bringing up the JFK comparison, though.
    What JFK comparison?

The last JFK comparison that came out of Mass was John 'F-ing' Kerry.
    He constantly compares his Mormanism to JFK's Catholicism. I've seen him do it at least twice.
  • edited May 2007

He constantly compares his Mormonism to JFK's Catholicism. I've seen him do it at least twice.
    What? That makes no sense!

Catholics are not some fringe group of Christianity! Granted they do worship idols and other funny stuff but... When you think "Christianity" don't you think of the Pope and Vatican city?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited May 2007
    If this guy would have said I don't want to skate your hand because I don't believe in your policies and what you stand for. I don't mind that at all, but no. Their a way to do things and not a way to do things.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • If this guy would have said I don't want to skate your hand because I don't believe in your policies and what you stand for. I don't mind that at all, but no. Their a way to do things and not a way to do things.
    Why? Why can't we critizie people for their religious beliefs? Who decided that we can debate and argue about political policies, but not religious beliefs? This guy was perfectly in the right if he doesn't want to support him because of his religious beliefs.
  • edited May 2007
    I may be misinformed but the basis of Mormon religion is almost identical to most popular Christian sects so what is the problem with a particular sect of Christianity?

Also, it may have just been the way he said it. You can politely refuse to shake someone's hand on the grounds of your separation but things along the lines of "I ain't shaking your hand, you xyze!" is much ruder
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Rude? Yes.

Do you have a "right" to be rude? Yes.
  • You have a right to expression, including rudeness but you also have an obligation to act sensibly and not overreact.
    The person in question was being rude when he had no cause to do so.

Could someone please tell me exactly what is so wrong about the Mormons that people think they shouldn't be in power.
  • Could someone please tell me exactly what is so wrong about the Mormons that people think they shouldn't be in power.
    You don't watch South Park do you?
  • I may be misinformed but the basis of Mormon religion is almost identical to most popular Christian sects so what is the problem with a particular sect of Christianity?
    Here's a good write-up and podcast explaining the fundamental difference.