This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Intel-Mac with Windows XP (Boot Camp)

edited April 2006 in News
Take a look at this:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/05/bootcamp/index.php

Now there's an official version of Windows XP that will be able to run on an Intel Mac without an emulator. It's called Boot Camp. This gives me a lot of hope for Mac.

Comments

• They also announced that Leopard (OS X 10.5) will let "you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac." This makes the OnMac.net project completely pointless. Apple released all the drivers for Windows too. OnMac.net had a contest for the first person to get graphics drivers running under Windows on the Mac. I guess Apple wins?
  • edited April 2006
    It doesn't look like that's an official production. Now I know that's not nessassarally a bad thing, but it bothers me that Microsoft is never mentioned in the License.
    Post edited by Kamiccolo on
  • Well it is true.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
  • We -just- talked about this in the show ^_^ Expect the episode as soon as I finish post-production and encode.
  • edited April 2006
    That's convinent. There's a lot I want to know about this. I'll be looking forward to your podcast.
    Post edited by Kamiccolo on
  • Seriously, why would you put windows xp on a mac, besides the reason for using apps that are unavailable for the OS. The only other reason I could think of would be that you might want a dual core processor. The thing is, other companies have created their own dual core laptops.
  • Seriously, why would you put Windows XP on a Mac [other than] for the reason of using apps that are unavailable for the OS?

I would suggest the following rewording:

Seriously, why would you put Windows XP on a Mac for any reason other than running apps that are Windows specific?
  • RymRym
    edited April 2006
    Well, the reason you mention first is critical. There are a -lot- of applications that just don't exist yet on the Mac. If you want to use a Mac, you were in the past forced to also own a PC. This allows one hardware platform to satisfy both.

Discounting that rationale is like saying "Aside from seeing, why do I need eyes? The only reason I can think of is that some people like wearing glasses."
    Post edited by Rym on