This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help, can't attach CPU Fan to board.

edited June 2007 in Technology
Last night I bought a motherboard replacement for my PC. It's my first time replacing the motherboard and I'm stumped on how to reattach the CPU fan on the new board. Because on the new board, the holes where the screws of the cpu fan go, are just holes. So there is no way for the screws to catch onto the board. The old board has in it's holes, metal plugs I guess which are part of a plate that attaches to back of the board. Is there a part I have to buy to allow me to attach the CPU fan to the new board? Or do I have buy a new CPU fan or drill holes in the case?

Comments

• I have never heard from someone that have drilled holes in its mother board so don't do it. Everyone has problems to put the CPU fan on top of the CPU, just be carefull and make sure that the CPU is compatible with th4e mother board.
  • edited June 2007
    I think I'm wrong in calling it the cpu fan. It's the heatsink? That has cpu fan on it and it's placed on top of the cpu.

edit:

I think I figured out my problem. I need to buy a new heat sink because I can't remove the plate that allows me to connect the old heatsink to the new board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I think you'd have to buy a new heatsink, but the way you described the problem makes it look like all you have to do is use a nut on the bottom of your motherboard to attach the screws. Of course, I could very easily be wrong, so you should hear some other advice before doing anything.
  • Up until recently all mechanisms for attaching heat sinks to cpu sockets were the same. The heatsink has a metal clip that attaches to the plastic socket in which the cpu resides. Newer computers like those with Intel Core Duos have a different heat sink clamp system that involves multiple plastic clips on the corners. I have to see exactly what you have to tell you if it is the correct equipment or how to attach it. However, I can tell you that no matter what, there is no drilling or screwing necessary to attach heat sinks to a motherboard or cpu.
  • edited June 2007
    I figured it out. I needed a X shaped piece that goes underneath the mother board. Sort of like this one...
  • wtf kind of heat sink and motherboard do you have? I have never needed any sort of extra piece. I fear you are about to do something very wrong.
  • edited June 2007
    The four holes that go around the CPU had no way to mount the heatsink to the board because they were just holes. I went to Frys and looked and asked around nobody new what I was talking about, I ended up buying a new CPU Fan/Heat sink deal. It came with a X shaped mount thing that goes under the motherboard. I'm probably explaining this wrong but I got everything working and it works fine.
  • Ok, now that I see the motherboard I understand. That is one crappy motherboard. Most motherboards have built-in mounting blocks to which the heat sink can attach.