This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Can Ubuntu play Windows CD games?

edited June 2007 in Technology
My topic basically asks my entire question, but I figured I might as well elaborate so that it might be easier to answer my question. I recently got a new Pentium Mac and want to dual boot it with Ubuntu, or something of the sort (I don't know much about Ubuntu so please excuse me if I say something really stupid and do correct me for in the future). The only problem with dual booting with Ubuntu is that, as far as I know, it can't play video games like Final Fantasy and Fallout. So, basically, my question is, is it possible to run an emulator or something off of Ubuntu that will allow me to play video games off of CDs?

Comments

• You can try to use wine. That's about it.
  • edited June 2007

You can try to use wine. That's about it.

Link to Wine Website
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • wine?
  • edited June 2007
    and Also, my punctuation is grammatically correct, Joe.
    Post edited by MrPeriod on
  • Wine

Is

Not an

Emulator
  • edited June 2007
    Except for the Intel that is (I'm sorry).
  • edited June 2007
    So, what is wine? I have no idea.
  • edited June 2007
    I get the acrostic, but it confuses me.
  • so what is wine? I have no idea
    *sigh* Read the FAQ.
  • Wine put simply is an interpreter that takes a command given to a Windows system then translates it into ones that can be done by a Linux system. I don't care much for it myself but some people have got a good deal of popular games to run on wine by tweaking it.
  • Your grammar and lack of punctuation and capitalization makes me not want to help you.
  • edited June 2007
    andAlso, my punctuation is grammatically correct, Joe.
    You kids are so cute. Not only do you seem to be completely unaware of my good friend Mr. Capitalization, but you also seem to be best friends with the wicked Mr. Run-on Sentence. I'll overlook the fact that offended myself thrice.
  • you also seem to be best friends with the wicked Mr. Run-on Sentence.
    This is the image that suddenly came to mind when I read that.
  • you also seem to be best friends with the wicked Mr. Run-on Sentence.
    This is the image that suddenly came to mind when I read that.
    Um, that's Snidely Whiplash. He looks nothing like a grammattical error.
  • Also, you might want to look into VMWare. I was able to get everything in my rig to work right, other than my nVidia network card, to work in a Win XP shell under Ubuntu.
  • Also, you might want to look into VMWare. I was able to get everything in my rig to work right, other than my nVidia network card, to work in a Win XP shell under Ubuntu.
    That's not a shell. It's a virtual machine.
  • OK already. I'll be really careful about my grammar and such. Geez, you people are pickier than my mom, and she's a professional editor. And my first statement, except for capitals, is grammatically correct.
  • Now, is there a specific site that can tell me how to install and use wine, or do I just ask all my friends until I find someone who can install it correctly?
  • Now, is there a specific site that can tell me how to install and use wine, or do I just ask all my friends until I find someone who can install it correctly?
    You mean this? What is it about people who never take two minutes to do some research? I even gave you the link yesterday.
  • OK already. I'll be really careful about my grammar and such. Geez, you people are pickier than my mom, and she's a professional editor. And my first statement, except for capitals, is grammatically correct.
    This is a Geek's forum for a reason. If you don't like it, then go to a stupid forum.
  • Now that I know about wine, what version Linux should I use? If the question is stupid please don't mock me, I JUST learned about Linux and figured it would be better to hassle you guys rather than mess up my computer.
  • I would suggest listening to some of the episodes of GN that deal with linux, just go to the main page and search linux.
  • Thanks for all the help guys.