This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070611 - Redundant Array of Independent Disks

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss RAID. In the news, we have Drobo, Illegal Blogging, and Safari for Windows.
Scott's Thing - Battle at Kruger

Rym's Thing - Britains Got Talent

Comments

• Oh snap! Did my thread get used as news? I doubt it :[
  • edited June 2007
    Hey cool, drobo!  I know the person who named it (her father worked on it in some marketing capacity, and she helped him come up with the name).
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • edited June 2007
    Ulterior motives you say? Hmm...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Uh, did the podcast get cut off at 43:36 for anyone besides me?
  • edited June 2007
    No cutoff for me.
    Post edited by Sloth on
  • Has anyone noticed that the entry says "070611" (like it should) but the actual mp3 is called "070612" (last digit)
  • Has anyone noticed that the entry says "070611" (like it should) but the actual mp3 is called "070612" (last digit)
    Rym best be fixing that.
  • With regards to what RAID stands for, I think the paper that coined the acronym and defined the levels might be at least worth looking at. And if you're looking for 5 TB of storage, buying 10 $300 dollar discs is a lot cheaper than the single $30,000 disc that can do it all by itself. Of course, nobody makes big $10,000+ discs anymore anyone can just make a RAID that works just as well a lot cheaper - such are the wonders of COTS hardware.
  • edited June 2007
    One time when I when went to a Phoenix Suns game and me and my brother were in line and the guy cutting are our tickets at the door saw my brother carrying a bag and he looked into it and saw we had a camera in the bag and he hold him he can take that into the arena, but if you take it out of the bag the personal that are all the row stations will take it away from you and you have to go to and pick it up after the game. So at least he let us take into the arena. For the record we did not take it out of the bag at all during the game because of his warning.

I gave up on editing this post. The run on that begins this post is among the worst I've ever seen.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Is it just me or did Scott say you would need "30 one gig drives to make three TBs" ?
  • With regards to what RAID stands for, I think thepaperthat coined the acronym and defined the levels might be at least worth looking at. And if you're looking for 5 TB of storage, buying 10 $300 dollar discs is a lot cheaper than the single $30,000 disc that can do it all by itself. Of course, nobody makes big $10,000+ discs anymore anyone can just make a RAID that works just as well a lot cheaper - such are the wonders of COTS hardware.
    I was going to call them out on inexpensive v. independent too. I've been calling it inexpensive since before they were born.
  • edited June 2007
    I think everyone knows what I'm talking about in my post Mr. Period. So why beat a dead horse.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • edited June 2007
    Seriously though, there is a banner up on top of the forums Correct Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling Will be Enforced He's not beating a dead horse, Mr. Period is doing what he is supposed to do, keeping order in the forums. I assume you haven't read the rules of the forum or you would have noticed this:
    The Front Row Crew/GeekNights forums are a little different from other online communities, in that they will never be allowed to descend to the depths so common on "teh internets." The rules are simple:

1. Be mindful of your grammar and spelling.
    2. Post intelligently
    There aren't many rules just follow them.

If you want to see how seriously we take this check out this thread. There is an extremely easy way to not get on Mr. Period's bad side, just run your post through a word processor, such as the free Open Office or Word if you have that installed on your computer. Just take the extra time, it saves yourself a lot of grief. Basically it's not a big problem unless you refuse to take measures to resolve the issue.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • I asked for it, I got it, Toyota.

Does anybody get this reference?
  • I think everyone knows what I'm talking about in my post Mr. Period. So why beat a dead horse.Mr. Period is our head moderator, and we've chosen him because of his strictness, not in spite of it.  We want our forums to be a refuge from the general idiocy of the Internet, and we've found that enforcing simple grammar and spelling rules goes a long way in keeping them that way.

• edited June 2007
    Who is Mr. Period in real life? Do you guys actually know him? lol. I have a feeling in my gut, that Mr. Period is actually Scrym.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited June 2007
    Frankly, Mr. Period has been too kind lately, probably due to time constraints. Some horses deserve to be beaten to death, I say. Bring out the Holy FRC Riding Crop of Grammatical Justice, I say.

Post edited by Jason on
  • Who is Mr. Period in real life? Do you guys actually know him? lol. I have a feeling in my gut, that Mr. Period is actually Scrym.

If I recall, they've said they don't know him.  Which could just be cunning trickery, of course.
  • You can bitch about Mr. Period all you like, and I've been pwned by him before, but spend any time on other forums and you shall be begging for his strictness and awesemeosity.
  • I asked for it, I got it, Toyota.
    Does anybody get this reference?
    It was a jingle for Toyota in the mid 70s. They would have a guy saying, "Gee, I wish I had a car that had good gas mileage and didn't cost a lot to maintain.", and then a chorus would sing, "You asked for it, you got it: Toyota."

This was back when commercials didn't just recycle classic rock songs for their jingles.
  • Here are a few others:

Where's the Beef?
    I guess I wont be needing these anymore...
    When it rains it pours.
  • Why Safari for Windows?

Thought 1, not original to me:

I heard one suggestion from Leo Laporte that there is some kind of kickback from Google from people using the Google search box. Presumably they would have to click one of the promoted "stuff for sale" links at the top for there to be a kickback. He said that the Mozilla foundation does well from it in Firefox.

Thought 2, my own:

They are out to increase Safari's "presence," or particularly its rendering engine's presence in the web use statistics, in hopes of encouraging site designers to aim for more standards compliant pages that will look decent in it, and its Linux counterpart, instead of just making things that look OK in IE, and not caring about the rest of the world.
  • Rym is totally wrong about the acronym RAID. If being historically accurate makes me an idiot, then so be it.
  • I just listened to Monday's 'cast and I thought Scott might appreciate this Achewood:

• So if RAID 1 isn't the best way to back up my hardrive, what would be good? I don't want to have to constantly do it manually.
  • So if RAID 1 isn't the best way to back up my hardrive, what would be good?RAID 1 backs up the current state of your data.  It's only failing is that it does not back up previous states of your data.  RAID 1 will save you from physical hard drive failures.  It will not save you from:

Accidental deletions
    File corruption
    Virus infections
    Filesystem errors
    Anything else that isn't a simple single hard disk failure

For any of those, you need some sort of backup scheme.  They are numerous, and many are complicated, so I'll save that for a show someday.  Suffice to say, there are ways to automate the process.
    The best setup would be a RAID that itself is periodically and incrementally backed up to either another RAID or to tapes/DVDs.
  • edited June 2007
    I just listened to Monday's 'cast and I thought Scott might appreciate this Achewood:
    That comic really bugged me because he says "I also ain't got..."
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I just listened to Monday's 'cast and I thought Scott might appreciate this Achewood:That comic really bugged me because he says "I also ain't got..."

That's Ray, he doesn't really care much about grammar.
    Also he is a cat.  I think your expectations are too high, you should be impressed that he is talking at all.