This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meaning of Life?

edited April 2006 in Flamewars
Ok so seeing as how Rym delayed on starting his new flamewar I decided to step in. This is something I found a while ago and thought was rather interesting. This journalist named Robert Wright went around and interviewed several of today's leading intellectuals around the world. He recorded his interviews with them and put them up here. I suppose I am just reinvigorating the religion discussions, but hell we are geeks/nerds.

meaningoflife.tv

Flame on

Comments

• Dude the meaning of life is 42!!!

Gaw...... :-)

Renshi
  • I'm a solipsistic, sentient, self-aware being. That's all I know, and all I can know. I interact with things I sense in order to attempt an understanding of the existence around me. I can do no better than this.

I can assume that I am immortal, simply because I have never experienced anything prior to my own existence, and I cannot conceive of my conciousness ceasing to exist, nor could I know were it to do so.
  • The meaning of life is that Jesus died for our sins, so you should all bow down and believe exactly what I believe, because my book tells me that it's true and my book can't be wrong because it says it can't be wrong, and my book is always right, so it must be true.
  • edited April 2006
    Crap. Renshi beat me to it. But it is 42.

Seriously, there is no meaning of life. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • The meaning of life is to have fun and enjoy yourself. If you're not having fun, then you are failing life.
  • I always thought the meaning of life was to strengthen the gene pool.
  • I don't think it's to strengthen the gene pool so much as it's to propagate the species. Although strengthening it is always a good idea, we don't do that anymore.
  • People always seem to answer the question "What is the meaning of life?" with answers to the question "What is the function of living organisms?" The meaning of life is in the dictionary. The function of life is important, but a much less interesting topic of discussion. The real question is, "Why does life exist?" That question assumes that there is indeed a reason for life to exist. I am firmly in the camp of life not having a reason for existence. In my eyes, life exists for the same reason kids like Apple Jacks, despite the fact that they don't taste like apple. It just does, and they just do. Alright?

For the record, I hate Apple Jacks.
  • I believe that life, beyond the function of living organisms to reproduce and survive in order to propagate the species, has only the meaning which an individual ascribes to it.
    So, life has no reason to exist beyond any reason which said life believes to exist.
  • I think Katsu's right in this. We each define for ourselves what life means, or have our definition shaped by the combination of parenting, peers, and media.
  • Realistically speaking, life is entirely what you make of it, nothing more, nothing less. There's no inherent "meaning" past the fact that you actually exist.
  • Well aren't you the buzz kill :(
  • In the immortal words of my college roommate when asked this very question in College 101....

"I like pie."
  • If you want a flamewar so much, I guess I could try to oblige.

Rather than a meaning to life which exists, there is a meaning that I would like to give.
    We humans possess massive forebrains relative to other species on this planet. The meaning of our lives should be to extend our reach not just to the farthest corners of the Earth, but to the seas below and to the heavens above! It is our right, by might and intelligence, to crush those races unfortunate enough to have developed physical superiority over mental acuity.
    We must harness the fundamental forces of the Universe, bend them to our own purposes, expanding our dominion beyond the ever-shrinking confines of a single world.
    We must move beyond being creatures controlled by the vagaries of chance and take our genetic destiny into our own hands!
    It is our purpose to achieve ever greater feats of fabrication and manipulation, testaments to our will over Nature, monuments to the resources that we command, proof that we are brave enough to not merely walk, but run where angels and demons fear to tread!

Zieg Menschlichkeit!
  • If your plans include mechs at all, I'm in.
  • edited April 2006
    There will be mechs.
    There will also be barbecues; a cofirmation of our position on the food chain with the consumption of that which was once alive.

Oh, and Japan has dibs on the orbital laser satellites.
    Post edited by Katsu on
  • Mechs AND barbecues?

Your idea intrigues me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • edited April 2006
    The meaning of life is to serve and obey the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • All hail the FSM. I was touched by his noodly appendage.

/ramenite
    //pastafrarians can die in a heretic fire
    ///yes, I brought Fark slashies
  • One key point you forget in this theory, and I sign on to this idea. We need to make sure we don't kill ourselves by destroying this fragile little biosphere before we have the ability to move on.

Or throw a different track: We are the only race we are aware of with what we think of as higher intellect. Why is that? Is it because we are weak and puny prey creatures who developed to be smarter then all of our hunters?
  • edited April 2006
    FSM:
    Why serve what you can consume?
    The challenge of creation lies not with the initial genesis and engineering, but with control. For when the progeny become strong enough, powerful enough, they will invariably chafe at their shackles and turn away from their intended destiny to forge their own.
    Control requires observation, vigilance, and sometimes intervention. For only when total control is complete and absolute, is one worthy of the title, 'Master'.

As for the premature destruction of our biosphere:
    There is no need to destroy our biosphere. Why destroy that which we may exploit? Exploitation of the environment does not require destruction of the said environment.
    As Sun Tzu detailed in the Art of War, the greatest text on human military strategy and compassion, it is not the acme of skill to destroy an enemy army. It is, however, a display of great skill to capture intact an enemy nation and its resources, and to make them loyal subjects.
    Post edited by Katsu on
  • Then onward towards the giant robots.
  • I believe in string theory. The meaning of live is 42^1/11.
  • Not giant robots.
    Robots are machines which are capable of autonomous operation without direct human control once they have been programmed and activated. What you, and every body else that bandies that word about, are referring to is a giant vehicle.
    If the mech had an onboard AI which was capable of autonomous operation if the human pilot was rendered inoperable, or was capable of enacting independent courses of action without direct human control, then it would be a giant robot.

Now that the clarification has been made between a giant robot (Berserkers and Mobile Dolls) and a giant vehicle (such as a BattleMech, Mobile Suit, Arm Slaves, Voltron, and MegaZor), if you want a giant robot, that's fine.
    Giant Robo and Tetsujin-28 (Gigantor in the US) are debatable. They obviously had operators, which would suggest that they are merely remote-controlled. However, there is some evidence that they may have a limited level of autonomous operation.
  • Evangelion.
  • (I hate when I fully aggree with Katsu on the meaning of life.)

It kinda goes with the statement "Life is but a dream"

Dreams, also don't mean anything other then the meaning that you escribe to them. They can mean something because they then tell you what your concened or care about because you'll create meaning from them in how your view the dream. Life is just like this...

Of course the meaning of life has to involve Mechs as well.
  • You heathen ramenites lost the touch of His Noodly Appendage ages ago. I would tell you to come back to Pastafarianism, but it's too late for you; you've lost your sauce.

/Ha! Ha!
    //got nothing
    ///slashie slashie
  • We do not exist. Therefore, any meaning to our existance is irrelevant and probably stupid. Nihilism FTW!!
  • Did you mean to use Evangelion for a meaning of life, or as an argument against my classification of giant robots?
    Okay, Eva Unit-01 has taken actions independent of a human operator, so it would fall into the category of giant robot, but I think something should be clarified. Nowadays, the line between mechanical and biological systems is becoming blurred; I would say that the Eva Units are also giant cyborgs, as they contain both biological tissue and non-living mechanical and electronic components.
  • Your Fark.com style "slashies" bother me in a very profound way.