This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

*sigh* Patch Tuesday

edited June 2007 in Technology
*sigh* It's Patch Tuesday for us Windows blokes. Time to restart our PCs before they restart themselves. Last PT (patch tuesday), my pc rebooted overnight when i had an important project open. Lost some work on it.

Does anyone else find this annoying?

Comments

• When I was using Windows, yeah, it was really annoying. But, ya know, Linux.
  • edited June 2007
    When I was using Windows, yeah, it was really annoying. But, ya know, Linux.
    See, I've always disliked that sentiment. It really bothers me, even though I personally support F/OSS whenever I can.
    See, some of us have odd/cheap hardware that only works with Windows, like my wifi card. I've tried everything to get it to work, and it just refuses too. Now, I could just go out and get a new one. But I couldn't afford a book if I wanted it for the life of me right now. So, I have two choices:
    1) Not go online.
    2) Use a not-horrible-but-not-great OS and have decent functionality.
    So, am I a bad person for choosing 2?
    Of course, I'm probably just reading too deep into an innocent comment. I do that a lot.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I actually really like windows. It's really not as bad as it's made out to be.

Sure, I USE Ubuntu, but Windows is just SO much easier and isn't limited as much as people seem to think.

Anyway, if you don't want your computer to reboot for you, turn that off. Set it to download the updates and only install when you click on the install updates button. Not difficult :)
  • edited June 2007
    Anyway, if you don't want your computer to reboot for you, turn that off. Set it to download the updates and only install when you click on the install updates button. Not difficult :)
    This is what I do. I didn't even know what this Patch Tuesday thing you were on about was until you elaborated.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • When I was using Windows, yeah, it was really annoying. But, ya know, Linux.
    2) Use a not-horrible-but-not-great OS and have decent functionality. So, am I a bad person for choosing 2?
    I'm not saying Linux is perfect, I'm just saying it doesn't have that particular problem.