This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Denno Coil

edited June 2007 in Anime
I just started watching this show and I'm really impressed. I suggest anyone who is into tech watch at least the first episode. Here's what anidb says about the show:
AniDB pageIn this future, a mobile phone like technology has people wear special visors to superimpose coordinated, instant virtual images over the top of their everyday real world. This cyberspace layer, "space", interacts perfectly as you move about or touch things. It even allows children to have advanced Tamagotchi style cyberpets (very tidy!), or to make video calls using simple hand gestures alone.

However, something is happening in Daikoku which the adults have not yet noticed. Cyberpets go missing, dangerous spherical robots patrol the skies and a mysterious gigantic character named Satchii seems connected to it all.

When 6th grader Yasako moves to Daikoku to be with family, her beloved pet goes missing too, and she is drawn into the affairs of a `Cyberpet Recovery Agency` run by the local children.
This is just an impression from the first episode but, it has a Miyazaki feel to it, like it would be something he would do if he chose to do an anime placed in the future with advanced technology. As far as I can describe it, it's like a Miyazaki version of Serial Experiments Lain. I have high hopes for this show.

Comments

• I found the promo video for it on youtube which has the opening sequence being the first minute and a half

Densuke the electro-pet is teh awesome!!
  • Not a major spoiler but in episode 4: What kind of responsible adult gives a 4-6 year old a laser beam?
  • edited June 2007
    She's a crazy old grandma, and lasers are awesome ^_^ Think if you were 6 and someone gave you a laser how fun that would be. Besides it just affects cyber matter... for the most part >.>
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • I can't work it out but I think if you get destroyed in cyper space your glasses break.
  • edited June 2007
    I think the AniDB's description is a little off. From what I've gathered the people live in a Matrix type world. Everything the buildings and the people are in this virtual reality. If the people are real flesh and blood. Then I'm curious how the series will explain the scene when the little sister makes a grab for the poofy creature and her arm gets zapped which then disrupts like polygons being zapped in a video game. I think the glasses they wear are way to look at hidden or protected stuff. Kind of like how windows by default hides system files.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Nope. They live in the real world, no matrix type world here. What it is, and you'll see that clearly in ep 5 if you watch it is that it's the real world then when you have the glasses on it's augmented by technology. If they take the glasses off they can't see the cyber world, totally different from matrix.
  • I just re-watched the scene with the little sister being zapped and she had her cyber glasses on. So the cyberworld is kind of overlay on the real world? It still looks like the actual physical world is affected when the cyberworld gets zapped or hacked though.
  • To be honest I think that is something that will flesh out during the series and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it ^_^
  • I finished watching today and while the story gets very dark towards the end, with peoples souls getting pulled out, it is a really good mystery show and some of the twists near the end are high quality. The fact that this is a kids show is a good representation of differences in attitudes between east and west worlds. As in, this would have creepped me out as a kid.

• I posted this video up on youtube a while back for my anime club.
  • I just finished the series, and I love it, immensely. It's more or less an updated version to the theme presented in Serial Experiments: Lain. Only that Dennou Coil was more light heart in the beginning. The intro with the manholes impacted me after their significance was revealed. Well done.
  • I really dug this show too. One of the best Sci-Fi shows to come out that year.
  • I just finished the series, and I love it, immensely. It's more or less an updated version to the theme presented in Serial Experiments: Lain. Only that Dennou Coil was more light heart in the beginning. The intro with the manholes impacted me after their significance was revealed. Well done.
    Would it help to watch Lain first to get a general idea of what the show will be like, or can I watch it without having to do that?
  • No, you can watch this without watching lain. They are just both about the internet + augmented reality.
  • Yeah, they deal with the blurring between reality and the internet/wired/space.
  • This shows makes my top 5 of all time anime shows to watch ever. Geeknights should do a final thoughts on this series when they get back off their hiatus.
  • This shows makes my top 5 of all time anime shows to watch ever. Geeknights should do a final thoughts on this series when they get back off their hiatus.
    Have they done a normal show about it yet? I've noticed final thoughts shows usually follow episodes that have basic review counterparts.
  • I cried over poor Densuke. I cried hard, manly tears, for he took death by the balls and died an awesome and honorable death. Then when he came back, I bawwed. The only other animated character I've ever cried about was General Hughs. For the whole series, Densuke was the most awesome dog ever. If I ever find a dog that looks like him, I'm buying it and naming it Densuke.

Densuke didn't belong in that anime, he belonged in Gurren Lagaan.
  • I don't remember feeling that emotional about this series. It was fun, if a little confusing, then it was over. It gave me something of that feeling of pulling you into something bigger than it begins with but that's about it.
  • Wait, so Sacchi is going to come brick your iPhone?