This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bloatware

edited June 2007 in Technology
What programs do you recommend to get rid of bloatware?

My favorite:
Foxit Reader. This is a small pdf reader that is significantly faster than the bloated Adobe reader. Why is it that Adobe's program is 160mb when Foxit works just as well with 1.5mb?

I'd like to find a replacement for ITunes, since it's really bloated. Unfortunately, nothing has impressed me that much.

Comments

• I need a simple image editor that will allow me to resize images. Right now I only have Photoshop and that things takes minutes to load!
  • For iTunes (which is a real resource hog) Id suggest media monkey which is the closest thing but quite different.

I'm running linux so no bloatware here!
  • Steve: if you're willing to work with a command-line interface, I recommend ImageMagick.
  • I need a simple image editor that will allow me to resize images. Right now I only have Photoshop and that things takes minutes to load!
    IrfanView.
  • I'm running linux so no bloatware here!
    Well that all depends on what WM/Desktop Environment you're running, now doesn't it? ;)
  • What programs do you recommend to get rid of bloatware? My favorite: Foxit Reader.This is a small pdf reader that is significantly faster than the bloated Adobe reader. Why is it that Adobe's program is 160mb when Foxit works just as well with 1.5mb? I'd like to find a replacement for ITunes, since it's really bloated. Unfortunately, nothing has impressed me that much.

The only problem with this is it doesn't seem to work with viewing PDFs in Firefox or Opera, which is sort of a drag. It's still much better than Adobe, though.