This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Arduino

edited June 2007 in Technology
I came across an instructable about a guy using Arduino to make a lighted orb to alert him when his software builds weren't working. I searched all over and read about Arduino, but I'm still not sure if I totally understand what it is. Perhaps someone here can explain it to me better?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Bumped for unanswered question.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Arduino appears to just be a simple programmable circuit board. Basically it has input wires, output wires and a simple programmable CPU. You basically write a program to control the outputs according to the inputs. Next, you connect the Arduino to your computer with a serial cable. You flash your program into the Arduino and disconnect it. You now have a device that will control electricity according to a program you have written.

This is pretty much how machines and devices are programmed. The Arduino seems like a good open way to learn how to make simple robots and things.
  • Last time I looked into buying one, there were like 2 options, now there are like 1000, any recommendations for a beginner?
  • Last time I looked into buying one, there were like 2 options, now there are like 1000, any recommendations for a beginner?
    You can get beginners kits which come with a bunch of stuff, and a project book. It's a good way to learn.
  • edited March 2010
    I really recommend the Arduino Starter Kit from Maker Shed. I linked to their whole arduino section because, depending on what parts you already have or what project your planning, you might be able to just get a $17 arduino that just plugs into a breadboard.

EDIT: I should disclaim that I do not yet own an arduino from anyone, but I do plan on buying mine from Maker shed once I decide it's time to do so.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Back when Sail started this thread, I'm not sure that there was as much out there on the Arduino as there is today. When Scott mentioned it on the show the other day, it triggered something in my head. I knew basically what one was but I wanted to see what people have done with it, so I bought "Practical Arduino: Cool Projects for Open Source Hardware." by Jonathan Oxer & Hugh Blemings on my Kindle. Ah, what a magical rabbit hole! I've always wanted to teach myself basic electronics, but I never had a way to trip the motivation pellet in my head. This may be the ticket. I'm going to read the whole book first and then decide if I really want to go all in on this or not, but it is fascinating. My arduous travel schedule is essentially over for the year, but art, woodworking and various other miscellany are making time claims. Also, I really do want to buy a Thing-O-Matic. I have a wealth of hobby stuff to keep life interesting for a bit. Thanks, Scott for getting me to think about the Arduino again.
  • The Thing-o-matic has an Arduino in it.
  • My backpack has an arduino in it.

Okay, so it doesn't DO anything, but it is present. I'm still going through the basics of learning how to use it. I'm working my way slowly through the getting started book and the "30 arduino projects for evil geniuses" book.
  • I pulled the trigger on a bunch of Arduino crap from the Maker site and from Amazon. I have a vague idea of creating a box with buttons that plays Star Trek phrases and sounds with flashing lights. Mainly, though, I want to build up my soldering skills and learn more about electronics in anticipation of the Thing-o-matic build.
  • This is pretty awesome. - Kickstarter project for an Arduino shield that allows for creation of 8-bit video games. Includes VGA and audio outputs, a bunch of pre-made sprites, etc.
  • This is pretty awesome. - Kickstarter project for an Arduino shield that allows for creation of 8-bit video games. Includes VGA and audio outputs, a bunch of pre-made sprites, etc.
    I kickstarted that shit so long ago.
  • For some reason, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you guys were talking about Audino...the weird new Pokemon.

• edited April 2011
    Okay, so I'm putting my Autonomous RC Drift project on hold and I'm shifting gears towards building an airsoft turret powered by regular arduinos. It'll take 3 of them, but it can be done.
    Today, I managed a minor proof of concept (without using the internet for help) and serial linked two arduinos. One acts as master, the other as slave. The slave sends out a heartbeat which, if the master receives it, causes the master to send out commands to turn off and turn on an LED on the slave.
    It's simple, but it proves that I have the skill to make it work. Now, the true test is when the third arduino gets here next month. Thats when I get to see if I can network them all over serial.
    Anyway, below is my code for both sides.
    //slave code  
    int ledPin = 13;
    void setup() {
      Serial.begin(9600);
      pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
      Serial.println("slave");//just for PC programming identification
    }
    void loop() {
      Serial.println("L");//send link establish signal to other arduino
      if (Serial.available())
      {
        char ch = Serial.read();
        switch(ch)
        {
          case '1':
            digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
            break;
          case '0':
            digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
            break;
        }
      }
    }
    //master
    int ledPin = 13;
    void setup() {
      Serial.begin(9600);
      pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
      Serial.println("master");
    }
    void loop() {
      digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
      if (Serial.available())
      {
        char ch = Serial.read();
        switch(ch)
        {
          case 'L':
            digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
            Serial.println("1");
            delay(1000);
            Serial.println("0");
            delay(1000);
            Serial.flush();
        }
      }
    }
    It's pretty barebones, but if you can think of any way to improve the code, I'd be grateful.
  • edited April 2011
    I don't understand why you need three Arduinos to make a turret. Assuming it's a stationary turret, there are three parts.

1) A motion detector of some sort that can detect whether to rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise.
    2) A motor to rotate the gun.
    3) Activating the trigger.

You should be able to do it all with just one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2011
    I don't understand why you need three Arduinos to make a turret.
    Yeah. Use the proper motor shield or prototyping configuration, and you can just hook all those motors up to one controller.
    2) A motor to rotate the gun.
    Depends on how many axes he has. Still, nothing that a single 'duino can't do.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Three is a worst case approximation. I know I need at least two because one of them is going to drive the audio shield to play the Portal Turret voice clips for events. ^_~

Components:
    Ultrasonic rangefinder
    PIR motion detector
    3 servos (pan, tilt, trigger)
    Wave Shield.
  • If you want a turret that has lots of axes of rotation, you can always get the Mega 2560
  • edited April 2011
    I know. Actually, I saw a turret on instructables that was run off a Mega 2560. The targeting was handled by a PC via USB and webcam.
  • The targeting was handled by a PC via USB and webcam.
    That's a good idea.
  • edited April 2011
    The targeting was handled by a PC via USB and webcam.
    That's a good idea.
    Oh, yeah, fantastic idea. But I'd like to start off with something that can just sit on it's own during, say, Oh-I don't-know, Humans Vs Zombies and guard a position using an electric nerf gun...

EDIT: looks like a guy has done about 80% of what I want to do and kajigerred the wave shield library to use (those useless) analog pins instead of the default ones. I might do the same thing and bring down the number of needed arduinos to 1.