This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Not much of an "Apple Expert"

edited June 2007 in Technology
So I've been thinking of buying a MacBook recently. Researching them a little more I had a question that I couldn't find anywhere "What is the exact processor in each of the MacBooks? Do they just overclock some lower series or do they actually use a different processor for each MacBook?" I noticed on apple's website that they have that "Chat with an Apple Expert". Thinking that they might know, or at the very least have the resources to find the answer.
* You are chatting with Barbara , an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Barbara . Welcome to Apple!
Barbara : How may I help you today?
You: OK, what processor is in the MacBook? like the E6300 or E6400
You: Or is it the T series
Barbara : Just another minute...
Barbara : I am really sorry for keeping you waiting, I'll be just another moment.
Barbara : The processors are the intel Core 2 Duo
You: I know that
You: But what is the processor series and number
You: There are several series of the Intel Core 2 Duo
You: And the apple website doesn't say what they are, so I thought an apple expert would know, or at least have the resources to look it up
Barbara : Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
Barbara : The specs that I have here does not give me that information.
You: So no apple expert knows what processor is in each of the MacBooks?
Barbara : Other than the information that we have already given you.
You: And there is no way to look up the correct information?
Barbara : The processor is a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor that is all the information I have.
Barbara : Is there anything else I can assist you with.
You: Well I would like someone who actually knows what processor is in each of the MacBooks to find out whether you are using a different processor in each of the MacBooks or just overclocking a lower processor
You: It makes a big difference
Barbara : You can call 800-MY-APPLE for further assistance.
You: o.O Not much of an expert
So besides the "Apple Expert" not being an actual expert anyone actually know what processor is in each of the MacBooks?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Psh, I expected as much. People that are using Apple computers generally don't care about that stuff, so they just hire some people to look up information instead of actually being "experts" on the subject.

Have a link? I want to try talking to one of these people. I can't find it on the Apple website.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just go to Apple Store and click on any of the products, a "chat" icon with a speech bubble should fade in to the right of the 1-800-MY-APPLE
  • edited June 2007
    I tried to mimic your messages as closely as possible, just for comparison. And I got slightly more information out of my person. She also seemed to be trying really hard to find it for me.
    You are chatting with Patricia N, an Apple Expert
    Hi, my name is Patricia N. Welcome to Apple!
    Patricia N: How may I help you today?
    You: Hi, what kind of processor is in the Mac book? Like E6300 or E6400
    Patricia N: The MacBook has Intel core 2 duo
    You: Yeah, but what series of Intel Core 2 Duo.
    You: There's different kinds
    Patricia N: One moment while I research that for you.
    You: Ok
    Patricia N: Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
    You: That's fine
    Patricia N: Just another minute...
    You: No problem
    Patricia N: I am really sorry for keeping you waiting, I'll be just another moment.
    Patricia N: It's the latest version.
    You: Um, ok
    You: Thanks
    You: Bye
    I didn't bother to ask about overclocking, since I was starting to feel bad for her having to look through tons of insufficient information that her company gave her, without it even being her fault.

Customer support clearly isn't going to help. Better find someone with one and ask them to open it up and read what's on the processor.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Obviously the Apple Experts aren't actually experts. They are just people in a call center. They sit at terminals which give them answers. These people wouldn't know a processor from a hard drive. There is one way to find out what CPU is in there, though. Toss in a Linux LiveCD and cat /proc/cpuinfo
  • All I can tell you about the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros is that I have played with both, in both OSX and in WinXP. They are CRAZY fast in both. OSX and XP both load extremely fast, and XP runs way faster on both than it does on either of the desktops in my house. If it weren't for the price, I would replace all three of my workstations in the house with them. Of course, I would hook them up to the wireless keyboard/mouse setup at each station, and hook them up to each workstation's monitor and set them up to run while closed.

They are THAT damn fast. Especially the MacBook Pro with it's vid card. It would be perfect for running Windows games for a while to come.
  • All I can tell you about the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros is that I have played with both, in both OSX and in WinXP. They are CRAZY fast in both. OSX and XP both load extremely fast, and XP runs way faster on both than it does on either of the desktops in my house. If it weren't for the price, I would replace all three of my workstations in the house with them. Of course, I would hook them up to the wireless keyboard/mouse setup at each station, and hook them up to each workstation's monitor and set them up to run while closed.

They are THAT damn fast. Especially the MacBook Pro with it's vid card. It would be perfect for running Windows games for a while to come.
    That tells us nothing though. You can say it's fast all you want, but it still doesn't tell us which model of the Core 2 Duo they use.
  • "Hey man, what kind of engine you got in that car?"
    "Hold on, let me check... internal combustion."
    "Uh, yeah, but what kind?"
    "Umm, let me check the owners manual... It's made by Ford so it's a Ford engine."
    "The name plate on the car told me that much, can you tell me anthing else?"
    "Yeah, when I drive down a road with no other cars on it I can go real fast!"
  • Similar story from a friend a year or two ago.
    "So, which version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted should I get?"

"The Black Edition"

"What's in it?"

"More stuff."

"Like what?"

"I dunno, but a lot of people pick that over the other."

"Screw this."