This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux or BSD?

edited June 2007 in Technology
I think this question needs to be asked.

If you are going to go the Linux route why not go the BSD route?

BSD *is* Unix and is also immune to the lawsuits from MS and company.
Many apps that run on Linux run even better on BSD.
BSD is also free as in beer.
Many app companies are willing to write for BSD because it does not push the GPL on them.

Is it just a philosophy thing?

Right now I have a machine running Ubuntu at home but I'm thinking of replacing it with the new PC-BSD distro.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I have nothing against BSD. It's pretty awesome. Gentoo Linux is actually designed with a lot of BSD philosophy. There are many differences between BSD and Linux, but the main difference is the kernel. The average user will not notice many differences on the surface. If you are running some sort of server, it can be quite difficult to decide between BSD and Linux. It depends a lot on your specific needs. As for desktops, Linux is probably the better choice. The kernel does have support for more desktop hardware, it has more community support, and distributions like Ubuntu make it easier for the user. Linux is also more accessible and has a more rapid development cycle, but PC-BSD seems to be putting a dent in that problem.

I'm actually planning to try out this PC-BSD. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  • If not for the at&t vs BSD lawsuit, Linux would never have been made...
  • The main difference is that Linux is just a kernel, and uses the GNU programs for the "base system" (shell, basic commands, etc). BSD is the kernel /and/ the base system all under the control of one development team. Beyond the philosophical differences, the biggest difference that most people care about is support. As Scott pointed out, Linux tends to enjoy a much wider range of hardware support, and drivers from the manufacturers. BSD tends to have much less manufacturer support and the drivers are more often done by the core development team.

I have not tried PC BSD before, though it is basically a re-packaged FreeBSD, which I have long been a user of. Lately I have been using ubuntu on the desktop for various reasons, with FreeBSD performing server/firewall duties. My current recommendation for keeping ease of use and hardware support would have to be Ubuntu.