This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070621 - Spoilers

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about spoilers (warning: spoilers). In the news, BayImg and Desertion.
Scott's Thing - Overheard in New York

Rym's Thing - Fallen Art

Comments

Yes, we know.
    OMG SPOILERZ!!!

Yeah, that Village one left me feeling cheated.

(I didn't know about Donnie...)
  • "Neo is the One" is not much of a spoiler. In fact, it can't be considered a spoiler at all. You know it pretty much the whole time.
  • edited June 2007
    Right. And I'd call Statute of Limitations on the Psycho one.

Kenny Dies.
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Kenny Dies.
    Not in every episode. Anymore.
  • I don't get the 300 spoiler; I'm pretty sure you know going in that they all die (except the one guy that gets sent back).

And everyone on the Intarweb knows about Snape and Dumbledore.
  • What's spoiled in the show?
    Everything.

Everything.

You spoiled the spoiler show!
  • I have heard that Rym's feet smell spoiled.
  • I have heard that Rym's feet smell spoiled.

You know, it's funny you mention that.  For whatever odd quirk of physiology, my feet almost never smell of anything at all.  Even after a day's hard hiking, they let loose nothing more than a momentary whiff of musk upon removing my socks, and nothing more. =P
  • edited June 2007
    Beck had an opener with scenes that were different from the series. In fact, really dramatic scenes, and I finished withing that they were actually a part of the series.

My philosophy is that nothing can be ruined by a mere spoiler. In fact, I can think of many times that something was actually an enhanced because something was spoiled.

For example, the end of FMA was spoiled for me while I was at about episode 15. I heard all about what happens at the gate, and what happens to Al, and where Ed ends up, all in excruciating detail. All I could think was how this show could possibly ever make it to that point. I mean, the end of FMA is totally out there. REALLY far out there. And all I was doing between discs was trying to conjecture how the show could possibly get there from here. And by thinking about the show and the characters so much, I feel like I got so much more out of the show than I would have otherwise.

Another example. The Harry Potter book. The spoiler was all over the internet before the book was even out. But all I thought about when I wasn't reading was how the story could get there from here. And as I lead up to the page, I just thought "I know where this is going, I know where this is going!", so when it finally hit, there was so much anticipation built up that it was exciting anyway.

I don't close my ears if I hear spoilers because, as far as I can tell, they have never destroyed the enjoyment of a show for me.
    Even after a day's hard hiking, they let loose nothing more than a momentary whiff of musk upon removing my socks, and nothing more. =P
    We should bottle your sweat and sell it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I know of one show where it will be, maybe not entirely but damn close to, ruined if one of the scenes near the end is spoiled. And that is Trigun. Everyone who has seen the show should know what I'm talking about.
  • Careful -- Richard Smith wants revenge for the slam about Sev7n.
  • Careful -- Richard Smith wants revenge for the slam about Sev7n.
    Uh oh. Scary Albionics are coming to get us.
  • I can see the MAFIAA (a combination of the MPAA and RIAA) jumping all over the imgbay but I don't see why they didn't use the danbooru interface as that's already made and freely available (even if the original died due to bandwidth problems.)

Though this could become a great place for people to post images of things that are legally restricted such as pictures of criminal suspects (weak example). Either way I see a whole lot of controversy coming their way.

Good show as always. I am planning in seeing citizen kane but I'm now more intrigued as to why "Rosebud" was a sled.
  • See, i think the only movies you can't spoil are the vengeance of trilogies or the M. Night shyamalan films, like in the Vilage, when you find out the monsters were made up by the blind chick's dad (ooops spoilers, don't read the previous part). I myself don't really give a fuck about spoilers, 'cause you haven't seen the film, and if someone goes "yeah, the ending really sucked, because he did whatever". Your not the person talking about the film, films should be judged by the individual. If you whine about being spoiled, and now your not gonna see the film because of the spoiler, then your just stupid. But I myself don't mind spoilers, it doesn't change the film viewing experience.
  • edited June 2007
    Well I spoiled the end to Scarface for my friend accidentally when I told him about the game and its "What if" scenario story. Even the game box said to an extent "He DIED in the movie" right on the first line.

I feel incredibly stupid not knowing where......five of those came from. (Soylent, Keyser, Dil, Kristin, sacrifice)
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • Soylent -- Soylent Green
    Keyser -- The Usual Suspects
    Dil -- The Crying Game
    Kristin -- Dallas
    Sacrifice -- Wicker Man

I loves me some gooooooood movies.
  • Yeah, definitely not listening to this episode.
  • Looks like BayImg might be down already. I can't seem to get to it.

The FMA openings might be an okay example of openings that don't actually happen. I recall one of them was just a whole lot of cool lookin' fighting that doesn't actually happen in the series.
  • edited June 2007
    I must say it, a 10.6 inch screen on a laptop? I am very intrigued and would like to know what laptop does Scott owns.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • At least the Bayimg sail tag is perfectly clean.
  • I must say it, a 10.6 inch screen on a laptop? I am very intrigued and would like to know what laptopdoesScott owns.
    Fujitsu P7230. So sad! I bought it months ago with Core Solo, but they just came out with new versions that have Core Duo.
  • edited June 2007
    I must say it, a 10.6 inch screen on a laptop? I am very intrigued and would like to know what laptopdoesScott owns.
    Fujitsu P7230. So sad! I bought it months ago with Core Solo, but they just came out with new versions that have Core Duo.
    That is almost identical to what happened with me. I ordered my laptop, and two weeks later Intel drops their prices. I could have gotten the exact same laptop $200 cheaper T_T But it's best not to dwell on these sorts of things, I suppose...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2007
    I've never been too concerned with spoilers either. For instance, I knew where The Sixth Sense was going long before the end. I had a strong, strong suspicion when Bruce Willis' wife didn't say anything at all to him at their anniversary dinner. It was just obvious. Of course, I've seen many, many horror movies and I've read many, many horror stories so I'm pretty familiar with the standard story possibilities. But even so, I enjoyed watching the story unfold.

I watched Dead Again for the first time with some friends from school. One person suddenly said, "They're reincarnated in opposite bodies!" The other person was very congratulatory and said, "Yes! You figured it out, smart guy." I totally didn't get it. It's pretty obvious that's what was going to be revealed, but movies aren't something to be "figured out". The enjoyment I get from a movie derives a lot more from the quality of the acting, the level of immersion/disbelief that can be sustained, sets and costumes, camera tomfoolery, liberties taken with earlier versions of the story, allusions to other movies/works of art, and so forth than from "figuring it out". Usually, "figuring it out" is a pretty trivial exercise. Does anyone truly not know how, for instance, A Nightmare Before Christmas is going to work out on their first viewing? Does that stop anyone from watching it the rest of the way through? Did anyone refuse to watch Titanic because they knew what would happen?

Also, you know how Sense and Sensibility ends before you see it if you've read the book, but you see it anyway. Did anyone boycott Lord of the Rings because they knew how the book ended? Knowing the basic story of Sleepy Hollow didn't keep me from enjoying it. Same for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In the episode, Scrym speculates about movies where everyone dies. I'd remind you of the Blackadder series. Everyone (or mostly everyone) dies at the end of each era. Everyone but Horatio (and Fortinbras) dies by the end of Hamlet. But - everyone in the world dies in Penn and Teller Get Killed.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Sacrifice -- Wicker Man I loves me some gooooooood movies.

NOT THE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

God that movie was HORRIBLE.
  • edited December 2010
    Bayimg is still up, still allows hotlinking. Test:
    It didn't catch on tho. And they're way more tight on copyright than before.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Bayimg is still up, still allows hotlinking. Test:
    It failed your test.