This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Macbook Pro vs. Macbook

edited June 2007 in Technology
Hi guys, I want to ask a quick question, what would you guys recommend the new Macbook Pro or the Macbook? My concern with the new Macbook Pro is the newness of the product and it worries me if there is going to be overheating issues or other issues with the screen perhaps. Lastly has anyone tried playing something like CS Source on it? CS Source and Half Life 2 would most likely be the extent of games I would play? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I don't think you will be able to play HL2 on a core Macbook (the only real issue is the shared 64 MB memory of the Intel Video Card). From glancing at the Tech Specs sheet, I think you will be able to run it fine on the Macbook Pro. I haven't heard of any real reliability issues for Apple products and I think they have pretty decent support. You will need to buy a Windows OS for you Mac and run it through boot camp if you want to play any Steam games because they don't run natively through OS X.
  • Yeah I'm mainly looking at Apple's products because in my experience for notebooks they've been reliable, but the Macbook Pro worries me because there have been a few overheating cases and the new LED screens could cause issues. I think I'm going to go for the Macbook, plus it's lighter and more portable.
  • edited June 2007
    If you want to use Steam, it'll be pretty easy. From the Apple website, you can install a program called Boot Camp, which will allow you to use Windows on your Mac.

Just so you know, the Macbook Pro has been out the same amount of time as the Macbook. The only transformation they've gone through is an upgrade to a faster processor. You're not gonna have any overheating problems. And if you do, send it back or take it to an Apple Store. They usually fix or replace these things no questions asked.

The only difference between the two are size of the screen, speed, and price. Just judge which one is right for you depending on how portable you want it and how much you have to spend.

[Edit] WiP beat me =(
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2007
    The only difference between the two are size of the screen, speed, and price. Just judge which one is right for you depending on how portable you want it and how much you have to spend.
    There is actually quite a significant difference in the Video Card. The Macbook as a 64 MB Intel GMA 950 while the Macbook Pro has a 128 MB Nvidia 8600 GT.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Now that I think about it, the Intel should be fine for running Beryl under Ubuntu and playing CS 1.6. CS Source isn't that good anyways, but I did find a hack to play it on the Macbook at a low resolution. I do think the Macbook looks nicer, especially since I can get it in black.
  • edited June 2007
    There is actually quite a significant difference in the Video Card. The Macbook as a 64 MB Intel GMA 950 while the Macbook Pro has a 128 MB Nvidia 8600 GT.

/Spam
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I have the lowest version of the Macbook Pro (before the most recent update) and it runs WoW and Civ4 with all the graphic options turned up beautifully.
  • HL2 is slow but playable on a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo, my MacBook is from July 2006) MacBook running in Parallels, I would assume that if I had HL2 running with boot-camp it would run fine. Th newer MacBooks are quite a bit faster so I think you would be fine with a plain MacBook, especially if you use boot-camp to dual boot into windows to play games.