This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070625 - Firewalls

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we explain Firewalls in simple-to-understand terms. In the news, Google gives Germany the finger, and class divisions exist between Myspace and Facebook.
Scott's Thing - Marble Adder

Rym's Thing - Dawkins Interview(s)

Comments

• I must say, the Marble Adder is sweet! And the interview was interesting. There are probably crazy christians out there that are enraged.
  • I would completely be interested in a show on how to turn my old computer into a homebrew router . . . or at least a few links on what are good programs/OSs to get started with.
  • I would completely be interested in a show on how to turn my old computer into a homebrew router . . . or at least a few links on what are good programs/OSs to get started with.
    Just get this. It is best router on the market now.
  • Is Wireless-G a good buy right now? I guess last I heard the standards weren't quite finalized, but I'm not completely up to date here.

I guess the reason I would like to build-my-own-router is more for the experience and for the snooping ability. I'd like to see more of what happens (or happened) on my network rather than trust my network security to the black hole that is my Linksys.
  • Is Wireless-G a good buy right now? I guess last I heard the standards weren't quite finalized, but I'm not completely up to date here.
    It looks like the standards for 802.11n won't be finalized until September 2008. If you really need a router, pick up that Linksys. As for building your own, I can't really give any advice for that. Perhaps Rym or Scott could help you.
    802.11G has been the standard for a long time now. 802.11n is the one you have to wait for.
  • edited June 2007
    Is Wireless-G a good buy right now? I guess last I heard the standards weren't quite finalized, but I'm not completely up to date here.
    802.11G has been the standard for a long time now. 802.11n is the one you have to wait for.
    Ah yeah . . . never mind.

Now listening to: GeekNights 070430 - 802.11abgn
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • I went the "Smoothwall" way at first and turned an old PC into a router. It worked great but I eventually purchased a wi-fi- router and turned the smoothwall box off.