This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Digg's search.

edited June 2007 in GeekNights
I'm listening to your 6/25/07 episode right now, and I agree with Digg's search function. It's the most horrible search engine I've ever come across; it's worse than AOL's.

The best sure-fire way to find the Digg story you're searching for is (believe it or not) an outside search engine...Google! I just type in a few keywords and add digg after that, and it's the first result I get.

Certain users tend to use similar keywords in their stories (although the stories may be different), and it botches the results for what I'm looking for. Google? They're tough as a brick; nothing fools them.

Comments

• You should be doing your Google search like this.searchstring site:digg.comThat will limit your search results to digg.com only.
  • Digg's site search became useless when they disabled the filter that allowed you to search only among your own diggs. When they did that Digg went from being a bookmarking site to something else.
  • Digg's site search became useless when they disabled the filter that allowed you to search only among your own diggs. When they did that Digg went from being a bookmarking site to something else.
    I never really thought of Digg as a bookmarking site. It's ALWAYS seemed like a news aggregator to me.

• I never really thought of Digg as a bookmarking site. It's ALWAYS seemed like a news aggregator to me.
    I agree. While I sometimes Digg things for the sole purpose of remembering them later, I much prefer del.icio.us for remembering links and digg for finding new hot links to check out. I really wish digg added a del.icio.us button. Maybe I can add one with one of those greasemonkey scripts.
  • edited June 2007

I really wish digg added a del.icio.us button. Maybe I can add one with one of those greasemonkey scripts.
    This one seems pretty good..., and it's probably trivial to remove the icons for furl and mag.nolia...
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Digg began as a social bookmarking site. I joined digg when it was still (primarily) a bookmarking site.