This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Vinyl people are out again....

edited June 2007 in Technology
As seen here
I can understand when they say things come out mixed poorly on CD, that makes total sense, but a record just can't do it with the way a record works, I would think. Not to mention a needle jumping and such

Comments

• It is true that major record labels today heavily compress the music, but this has little to nothing to do with the distribution medium. Audio on a CD can sound like almost anything while audio on a vinyl record has sever limitations. What audio people choose to put on a CD is a completely separate issue.
  • Disclaimer: I am a vinyl junkie.

There all kinds of differences in audio quality, even within formats. Just like you can hear the difference between a 128 kbs and a 320kbs MP3 (on an appropriate audio system), you can hear the difference between records throughout the ages. Modern technology has made this truly superior analog audio technology really come alive (unfortunately after its prime). It could make a comeback I think but not likely. For example, take a pristine, brand new vinyl and play it on a laser turntable that causes no wear from play. Store the vinyl in a dry, upright position and you now have high-quality analog sound stored and usable in true archival quality. Records that are never played (by a needle) and properly stored will always last longer than optical media or hard drives.

Sound quality isn't why I listen to records though . . . I can't find a significant difference on any of the sound systems I've ever had. I have some albums on record and CD and even though I have a high end Klipsch system, the differences aren't what I would consider quality. I think digital media has clearer bass range and vinyl has better high-end but I wouldn't consider the listening experience significantly different.

The reason I collect vinyl, and will likely continue to collect it, is mostly because there are many specific performances (especially in classical music and jazz/blues) that you cannot find on CDs . . . or they're poorly re-mastered for CD. That and the ladies dig it. I mean, there are few things that will get you points with a woman and her father.
  • For example, take a pristine, brand new vinyl and play it on alaser turntablethat causes no wear from play. Store the vinyl in a dry, upright position and you now have high-quality analog sound stored and usable in true archival quality. Records that are never played (by a needle) and properly stored will always last longer than optical media or hard drives.
    If you are reading it through laser, how is it still an analog sound?
  • If you are reading it through laser, how is it still an analog sound?
    Well . . . I guess it's analog data being played digitally but you could still play it analog if you wanted, in the future. Heh. I guess I hadn't considered that a laser 'needle' would make the output digital. Either way . . . listen to the same album on modern vinyl or high quality WAV and tell me the quality is significantly different. There are plenty of DJs that get some incredible sound on some incredible systems using vinyl.
  • Compressing audio to put on a CD is like putting a 90 HP engine in a Ferrari. Yeah, you can make it work, but it just feels so wrong!
  • What is it with the bad analogies this week. I suppose after "it was both elegant and vulgar at the same time, like a ballerina kicking someone in the crotch." all else seems muddy in comparison.

Digital audio recordings are just binary numbers to give the height of the wave (simplification), The laser LP reader thingy uses a laser to gauge the depth of the groove.
    The reason that vinyl and the (technicaly superior) CD are dying out is that quality isn't what people are getting music for. though I am considering making a media center and putting a lot of FLAC on it. I prefer MP3 but having the FLAC files means I can transcode without any more than necessary loss.
  • You get better quality with digital because you can adjust the sample rate to such a high degree, better than you can get via an analog recording device.

OK, the laser reads the depth of the groove on a record. The laser reads bits on a CD. How much of a frequency range can I store on a vinyl disc? How high of a frequency range can I store on a CD?

Vinyl has a limit, CD/digital does not.
  • Frequency Range of Human Ear: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz (some note as low as 15 Hz) Source
    Frequency Range of Vinyl Record: 7 Hz to 25,000 Hz Source + Article

While it is true that a digital recording can play frequencies an analog recording cannot, this doesn’t matter when it comes to the subjective limitations of the human ear.

The attached article from RTI covers the real difference between what we hear on digital recordings and analog recordings. The output level (volume) of a digital recording can be whatever you want it to be which means they set it higher than records. Typically CDs are about 6dB louder than a photo output. They do this by sacrificing dynamic range however. In fact, if you were to print a record at the same dynamic range as your average modern CD, it would be equally as loud. The catch is that your stereo system has a volume control, but no dynamic range control.

I see this at home; I have to turn down my stereo when switching from a record to a CD.

Now, this makes sense when you consider, as Omnutia alluded to, that quality isn’t what matters to most users. When most people hear their music through Wal-Mart stereos and iPods, you can’t tell the difference. The size of the file is much more important than the quality. If you can handle high quality output in your system however, then you’ll notice the difference.

Your average consumer may only care portable, ubiquitous music alone, but there are some of us that like to feel like we’re in the studio or at the concert.
  • Just because I can't hear those low notes does not mean I can't feel them.
  • Just because I can'thearthose low notes does not mean I can'tfeelthem.
    From your iPod? I can't find a single subwoofer that will even play 7hz (let me know if you do!). The top of the line go down to 18 or 19hz. You could feel 20+khz too if you wanted . . . it'd feel like your ears bleeding and dogs attacking. :oD
  • My iPod? My iPod is crap.

Vinyl has a built-in limit on the dynamic range of its recordings. Digital has an infinte dynamic range.
  • My point is not that Digital cannot go beyond vinyl . . . merely that it doesn't, and it doesn't matter if it hypothetically could. Infinite potential means nothing to me when I can't actually listen to it! It's like a Wii with no games! The human ear, outputs, recording technology, and musical instruments all have physical limitations just like vinyl . . . and that's OK.

The fact is, I don't have a single digital file in my collection that surpasses the quality of the top-'o'-the-line-vinyl in my collection . . . and I cannot go out and buy this digital media at my local Target. This means that whatever other reasons you buy music, other than quality, is what you should (and people do) focus on. This is why the industry doesn't sell master-tape quality music . . . people don't buy it. Even if they could, they likely can't listen to it to its full potential.

Now . . . if they started focusing on the 192khz audio dvds then that would be just grand . . . but these aren't CDs. You'll notice the link/article that started this thread is about CDs fading away. Vinyl has reached a plateau and is even coming back in by some estimates. There are hundreds of thousands of cheap, great vinyl recordings in existence today and only a few high-quality digital recordings so those of us focused on quality have little choice.
  • Okay...I'm confused, Steve. You seem to be praising vinyl one moment and then praising digital the next, maybe I'm just not understand you or something, but could you help me understand here?
  • edited June 2007
    I have no problem with vinyl, I own a good sized collection of vinyl discs. I also know that digital has an infinte ability in regards to frequency range of recording.

Even if my ears can not hear the difference I know that there is a difference and that digital is the better medium.

No, I do not buy Monster Cables. I'm half deaf from being around tanks during my Army days.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • No, I do not buy Monster Cables.
    Glad we cleared that up! :)
  • This is such a trivial argument.

Cosmicenema: Vinyl is dead and it is no longer the superior medium for music.

Steve: Some people just like Vinyl and call themselves "Audiophiles". We don't talk to these people.
  • Right. Since there is no argument about the digital medium being superior, then the argument is that the people who put out vinyl albums are somehow inherently superior to those who put of digital music. Are they really? What the hell is the argument? Vinyl is good enough? It just deteriorates as you play it? It is a much less practical medium to store? I was fine with the argument that it is hard to find some stuff on cd's or the cd versions are worst.
  • Most of what was said here on either side was somewhat incorrect regarding audio.  I'll expand upon that when I have time. ^_~
  • Most of what was said here on either side was somewhat incorrect regarding audio.  I'll expand upon that when I have time. ^_~

O'RLY?
  • I must say that I think they both have there up's and down's. It depends on what I'm doing, but I usually use a digital medium. If I'm relaxing in the house though, I prefer the vinyls. But that's just me.
  • If I'm relaxing in the house though, I prefer the vinyls. But that's just me.
    Don't lie! What vinyls do you own? Or are they your parents'?
  • Lol! Nope. I did get a lot of them from my grandma though. I think that Fantasia, Cat Stevens 'Foreigner', and the Eagles Live are the best.
  • They are issuing some newer albums on vinyl. I remember seeing Christina Aguilera's latest CD in LP form in a store. Also, apparently some dirt poor punk bands and such release on vinyl...why I don't know...
  • When I was in Germany (early 90's) all the new releases were still coming out on vinyl. I think the US moved away from vinyl on new albums in the late 80's.
  • There are a lot of newer albums on vinyl and they're mostly imported from Europe. Their mainly marketed towards DJs but you can find them in any record store or Hot Topic.

I went to Paris and Vienna this year and found tons of new records of American music. Delightful.