This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

English smoking ban

Comments

• edited April 2012
    the other half lives in one of the two alpha global cities/cosmopolitan centers of the entire world.
    One of two Alpha++ cities. The full Alpha "grade," as it were, comprises over 30 cities.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012
    the other half lives in one of the two alpha global cities/cosmopolitan centers of the entire world.
    One of two Alpha++ cities. The full Alpha "grade," as it were, comprises over 30 cities.
    I actually have talked to one of the researchers instrumental in this whole concept. As far as I can gather, many of the lower-tier cities are listed out of pressure from the international community. They needed a way of noting that New York and London are apart from the rest in significant ways (or else the designation wouldn't be useful), so the "++" notation was added to still be able to put them in a class by themselves.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym, you didn't even mention the UN which is )(*@#&;$)(*&@#%
  • Rym, you didn't even mention the UN which is )(*@#&;$)(*&@#%
    Ahhh, the UN. Bane to my commute whenever there's international bullshit afoot!
  • I imagine St. Louis being given as high a rating as it has is a bit of an artifact of how important the city was at the turn of the last century. It seems like it's significantly less influential now.
  • As a resident of the city, I'm surprised how high Berlin is on many of those lists. It seems to have little to do with the city as a city, but just the fact it is the capital city of a big, important, rich country.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012
    Berlin's citizens and local economy are tied enough with the world economy that the city as a whole actually has some weight to throw around. People in Berlin likely have more of an effect on New York's economy than, say, people in Scranton Pennsylvania or Syracuse New York, and in turn New York has an effect on Berlin's economy.

One way the was described to me is analogous to the "truck factor" in IT. How widespread would the devastation be if the city in question suddenly ceased to exist?

Some cities in Germany no doubt would mostly affect Germany itself, with lesser influence on the Eurozone as a whole and negligible impact on, say, Tokyo or New York. Berlin disappearing, however, would pull on or sever strings around the globe.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Tokyo and Hong Kong would be much higher if they weren't surprisingly homogeneous compared to more cosmopolitan centers like London.
  • Chicago is #3. Take that, everyone save NY and London.
  • edited April 2012
    Chicago is #3. Take that, everyone save NY and London.
    Eh, Sydney was number 13. Not bad, considering it's half the population of NY, and smaller to boot. And by smaller, I mean it's barely in the world's top 100 cities by geographical area or population.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's a fucking park. Just put a no-smoking sign on the 'border' and such silliness if over. And Amsterdam, get off that Alpha grade, you're underwater.
  • It's a fucking park. Just put a no-smoking sign on the 'border' and such silliness if over.
    You have no idea the unending whining American smokers will pull when shit like this goes down. When Boston, and then greater Massachusetts, did this in the mid-nineties, the whining didn't end for at least a year or two. There are still isolated cases of people passive-aggressively smoking in restaurants.
  • It's a fucking park. Just put a no-smoking sign on the 'border' and such silliness if over.
    You have no idea the unending whining American smokers will pull when shit like this goes down. When Boston, and then greater Massachusetts, did this in the mid-nineties, the whining didn't end for at least a year or two. There are still isolated cases of people passive-aggressively smoking in restaurants.
    As a smoker - FUCK those people. We've established before that I try to be as reasonable and polite about it as possible(Despite being on tape cursing out the government of a city for over-restrictive smoking laws, but moving on), and most people are at least reasonable, in my experience. But you do get the fucksticks like that, who give the rest of us a bad name - because who are you gonna remember, asshole being an asshole and annoying you, or the guy who doesn't bother you at all because he's trying to stay out of the way and not bother you?
  • As a smoker - FUCK those people. We've established before that I try to be as reasonable and polite about it as possible(Despite being on tape cursing out the government of a city for over-restrictive smoking laws, but moving on), and most people are at least reasonable, in my experience. But you do get the fucksticks like that, who give the rest of us a bad name - because who are you gonna remember, asshole being an asshole and annoying you, or the guy who doesn't bother you at all because he's trying to stay out of the way and not bother you?
    This. Did I bother you guys at PAX with my smoking?
  • Can't even say I knew you smoked.
  • You never smoked around me, nor do I recall you smelling like smoke. Then again I was pretty drunk. :P
  • My point exactly. ;-)
  • Well, I don't think I'd manage to be THAT clever about it - but mostly because everyone here already knows full well that I smoke.
  • I dunno. I've mentioned it on the forums a few times. Maybe I don't look cool enough for people to assume I smoke.
  • edited April 2012
    Maybe I don't look cool enough for people to assume I smoke.
    Doubtful. You look plenty cool in your own right.

I'm guessing that you probably own a cigarette case. It's likely stainless, perhaps silver or leather, kept tucked in your inner suit jacket pocket (so that you may open it with a flourish when offering a cigarette to a lady in need). Filled most likely with handrolleds; however, if you're a brand man, my top three guesses would be Dunhill, Lucky Strike, and Marlboro Reds, in that order. Your lighter is almost undoubtedly a Zippo, probably in the classic burnished steel of WWII. I wouldn't say it's out of the question that it's an heirloom, either, or found in an antique store. Likely, you're also the type of gent who enjoys a pipe, but that is an entire other world of speculation.

Basically, you're the model of classy smoker seen in Mad Men and long since lost to most of America. Kudos, and let me know if my guesses were anywhere near right.
  • edited April 2012
    Haha. Burnished steel, usually outer pocket (unless I'm wearing an overcoat, then it's inner pocket of that), Dunhills (Though hand-rolled and Nat Shermans are nice, too). I have a zippo, but my favorite lighter is an old 30's Ronson (similar to this), engraved with "Keats" and given as a birthday present from an old friend. I do like smoking a pipe, but I only really have the time when I visit family in the Catskills.

EDIT: I used to smoke Luckies, but those are best enjoyed while braving a blizzard in the darkest months of a Rochester winter.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on

• I'm guessing that you probably own a cigarette case. It's likely stainless, perhaps silver or leather, kept tucked in your inner suit jacket pocket (so that you may open it with a flourish when offering a cigarette to a lady in need). Filled most likely with handrolleds; however, if you're a brand man, my top three guesses would be Dunhill, Lucky Strike, and Marlboro Reds, in that order. Your lighter is almost undoubtedly a Zippo, probably in the classic burnished steel of WWII. I wouldn't say it's out of the question that it's an heirloom, either, or found in an antique store. Likely, you're also the type of gent who enjoys a pipe, but that is an entire other world of speculation.
    Yes, Stainless, my leather one was stolen in the UK. Spring loaded, so that when I hit the catch it pops open. Winfield is my brand, because it's cheap, but I keep a small stock of nicer tobacco when I'm going out, and put it in a pouch, just in case. Multiple zippos for various occasions - Stainless, brushed matte stainless, and Guinness logo, usually. I also have a WW2 lighter that I'll have to take some photos of.

Now, I guess we have to fight to the death, keats.

• edited April 2012
    Damn, I'm good. To be fair, the smoking habits of people are really determined by their fashion sense and personal aesthetics; mine largely follows your own. My wardrobe needs an overhaul (if Europe taught me anything it's that dressing to kill wherever you go is nigh-infinitely better than jeans and geek tees), and I have yet to acquire a cigarette case, but I basically just provided guesses that followed my own personal tastes. And you evidently have excellent taste yourself (EDIT: As does Churbs).

I've been trying to quit recently, but damned if a cigarette doesn't just brighten the stars on a wild night out. I'll probably grab a pack of Dunhill Fine Cuts tomorrow, myself, and maybe look into that cigarette case. Shame I left the pipe at home in the US; mine's of the "lunch break" variety. The bowl can be emptied in 15-30 minutes at a decent puff, and if you need to, you can just shake the ash out of the top and tightly tamp down whatever remains. Plug and flake tobaccos also go a long way in keeping your pipe viable as an option day to day.

There's a cool little pipe shop in Covent Garden. I think I'm going to go there and try to find a nice black briar Poker or Churchwarden (or both, if I have the money) to bring home on my last trip into London. Hopefully they'll have some estate pieces; if I can get a Dunhill Shell Briar Poker for less than fifty quid, I'd be well chuffed.
  • I am fine with a three-way...fight to the death.
  • I will warn you that during my time in the UK, I have trained in the Divine Fist of the North East England Star.
  • I should warn you: I'm Churba.
  • I should warn you: I'm Churba.
    The Divine Fist of the North East England Star is more of an "Eat two Greggs pasties and skull three pints, in 30 seconds" Art than a Martial Art, anyway.
  • edited April 2012
    I should warn you: I'm Churba.
    The Divine Fist of the North East England Star is more of an "Eat two Greggs pasties and skull three pints, in 30 seconds" Art than a Martial Art, anyway.
    To be fair, it's a fine and difficult art to master.

I'd rather we all just go drinking anyway...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What's the best way to secret an entire crate of Swiss absinthe into the US?
  • What's the best way to secret an entire crate of Swiss absinthe into the US?
    Illegally.