This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your convention circuit and history

2»

Comments

• I'm hoping to MAYBE attend PAX this year, if I can get enough money together and I can find three friends to share a hotel room with.
    Where/what is PAX?

And yeah, I never mentioned being from Alberta before just.. because it never really occurred to me to say much. ^-^ My high school is one of those with a 'little anime con', actually. It's fun.
  • Where/what is PAX?
    Ultimate Gaming Convention of AWESOME August 29-31st, Seattle, WA.
  • I'm hoping to MAYBE attend PAX this year, if I can get enough money together and I can find three friends to share a hotel room with.
    Where/what is PAX?

And yeah, I never mentioned being from Alberta before just.. because it never really occurred to me to say much. ^-^ My high school is one of those with a 'little anime con', actually. It's fun.
    What Ro said. I'm hoping to take the Greyhound down to Seattle, which will take longer, but it's cheaper than flying. ^^;

That reminds me that I forgot to mention in my first post the little cons that I have attended. I went to Fuyu Fest in its first year (it's the con currently known as Haru Fest), last year's Japanese Cultural Festival at Father Lacombe H.S. (where I fulfilled a tiny dream of mine by performing with the 404s), and 2006's Bellerose Con in St. Albert.
  • Go to PAX. ^_~
    I wish. I neither have the moneyz nor teh free timez to travel across the country. I may show up to Otakon seeing as how it's in my backyard, but I have no one to room/go with.
  • I have been to every Otakon since 2003 and this is the first year in which I will be staying in Baltimore (I live about 20 minutes outside of the city). By doing this I will definitely have a much more awesome experience.
  • My first con was a Trek con -- Creation Con, probably 1986. I won a trivia contest because I happened to know Nightcrawler's real name.
    Throughout the late 80s and early 90s, I went to a succession of events that I mostly still attend:
    Shore Leave (every one since 1988, I believe -- holy crap, that will make this my 20th Shore Leave!), Farpoint/Octobertrek, and Balticon.
    Quite a few special events (mostly Doctor Who related), exhibits, and whatnot.
    Gaming cons -- a few of those little area ones, but also the big daddies -- Origins and Gencon. Dragonmeet Baltimore, back when Games Workshop was tiny. I only attended Gencon once: ran a tournament with my old DM, and got bonus points in the Dragonlance LARP by casting mass chaos during a kender election (resulting in a five-DM ruling conference). Playtested the original West End Games STAR WARS game.

In 1996, at Shore Leave, I saw an ad for some anime convention called Otakon. I came for one day (had to work), and I've been coming back ever since. I have only missed 1998's convention, so I've attended every Otakon held in Maryland. I've gofered since 1999 (gofer #12), joined staff in 2002, and have been slave to the con ever since.

These days I usually hit Anime Expo as well, and occasionally Katsu and New York.