This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boxes or no boxes

edited April 2006 in Everything Else
This may sound like a stupid question to most but I am having a hard time with this. Just a little background on my situation. I am a collector of Transformers and other giant robots (Gundam, Eva, etc.). It recently came to my attention that I have a crap load of cases/boxes that the figures came in. By "came to my attention" I mean that my lady said I gotta do something about them or they will take over all the closets. Talking a look at things I would say that my Japanese to American ratio is about 80% to 20% (respectively). What I need to know from you is do I throw away the boxes or do I keep them?

P.S. - Mr. Period. Please don't hurt me.

Comments

• edited April 2006
    It all depends on why you collect transformers. If you are collecting them for financial gain, then you probably want to keep the boxes. If you collect them because you enjoy the toys themselves, then what do you need the boxes for? Most collector types seem to keep boxes and such because of feelings related to OCD. If this is your case it might be something you want to overcome.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The main reason I keep the boxes is because once the figs come off the shelves the boxes provide a nice "safe" container for them.
  • Well. It seems you just need to find a more efficient storage mechanism. Head to an arts + crafts store and you can find all sorts of plastic containers. Or maybe go to Home Depot and make a box you can store them in. Or if you're lazy just get one big cardboard box and wrap them individually in bubble-wrap.
  • Foam rubber will be your best friend.
  • Hmm...foam rubber. I never thought of that. When I get home tonight I will post some pics on my Flicker for you guys to see. :)
  • I have found that apartment living and efficient storage are concepts that do not go hand in hand.
  • Humm you just gave me an idea.
  • An idea? Uh oh.
  • I used to have the boxes for just about every original NES game I owned. While it was somewhat cool to have them, they mostly just got in the way and were a pain to deal with. I eventually threw them out.

Basically, if you're not displaying something openly, don't plan to one day display it, and aren't collecting it for some actual reason, you'd might as well get rid of it. Otherwise, you'll just slowly gain clutter like a human Katamari ball...
  • A human Katamari ball...that stores eveything in a closet! MWAHAHAHAH!! Wait....I think I just zinged myself.