This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aces and Eights

edited July 2007 in Role Playing Games
I just got my copy of Aces and Eights, the new western RPG from Kenzer and Company.

This hardcover book is the most beautiful RPG book I have ever seen. It is full of old west art and has a very nice, easy to read layout.

Unlike most western RPG games this one allows you to play a game without ever drawing a gun. Yes Rym, you can be the scholar in this game and have plenty to do. It even has an entire chapter on running a cattle drive!

The combat system is very creative in that it uses a clear overlay sheet for seeing if you hit someone in ranged combat.

Know what the best part is? Open the book to any page and it stays open. You don't have to put a rock on the page to keep the pages from turning, it always stays open!!!

There is also a full chapter on "Frontier Justice" that includes a court room "mini-game".

Comments

• I heard a preview of this game on the Pulp Gamer podcast. It sounds good, but I think I'll wait until some reviews come up on rpg.net before I think about a purchase.
  • Don't wait too long the initial print run will be sold out soon. Also, Kenzer is offering some books at a discount due to the manufacturing not shipping them properly. My copy is a "dinged" copy and it looks better thn most books you find at a game store!
  • Don't wait too long the initial print run will be sold out soon. Also, Kenzer is offering some books at a discount due to the manufacturing not shipping them properly. My copy is a "dinged" copy and it looks better thn most books you find at a game store!
    I never understood a lot of this "dinged" business. It's one thing if a book is missing pages or the binding is falling apart, but it's entirely different if there's a scratch on the cover or something. Who really cares that much about the condition of a book that they won't pay if one of the pages has a crease or there's a slight ding? As far as I'm concerned books are either readable or unreadable. As long as a book is readable, why would I not be willing to pay full price? If someone wants to sell me a perfectly readable book at a discount rate, of course I'm willing to take that discount, but I think they are fools.
  • I think it matters here only because the book looks like something you would get from a "classic book of the month club". The cover is embossed simulated leather, the binding is stitched (not glued) and the book is high quality.

K&C are known for the high quality of their products. They learned their lesson when The Great Space Race came out that a great game needs high quality components.
  • If there was any way to guarantee that discount, I'd be buying, but as it stands, I'll wait for a second printing (if necessary).